• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question from a newbie

jjhoover22

Cricket Spectator
Hello all!

I am an aspiring Cricket fan from the USA, and I just finished watching the highlights from the 4 game test series between England and South Africa from last December & January.

I have a question: In the second test, the South African Captain declared his 1st innings with 2 runs short of England's total. Now, I understand that there is a "time" constraint in each Test, so my question is: Does a second innings need to be started for a match to "count"? Why did Amla declare like that?

Thanks for any replies!

JJH

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hello all!

I am an aspiring Cricket fan from the USA, and I just finished watching the highlights from the 4 game test series between England and South Africa from last December & January.

I have a question: In the second test, the South African Captain declared his 1st innings with 2 runs short of England's total. Now, I understand that there is a "time" constraint in each Test, so my question is: Does a second innings need to be started for a match to "count"? Why did Amla declare like that?

Thanks for any replies!

JJH
Yeah, the time limit is five days in a Test match. If neither side can bowl the opposition out twice it's a draw. The match still 'counts', but no one wins. It's just a draw.

Amla declared behind because it was still SA's first innings and he felt he would save more time by trying to get on with bowling England out straight away and then chasing whatever score they put down (+2) in their second innings.

Last edited: