• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Price of £25 ridiculous!!!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
DId MVCM have Orissa ? I believe it had? well i think that will answer your question.
also i believe the FAQ stated that all domestic teams will be in from all test countries ?

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Something like that shouldn't have any impact on a rational consumer's decision to buy a game - they should spend based on the utility they're expecting to gain out of that compared to the utility they could have otherwise got from the £25.

It's entirely illogical otherwise!
Opportunity cost of buying game.
One night out! Not too much really...

cricketboy29

International Regular
kwek said:
DId MVCM have Orissa ? I believe it had? well i think that will answer your question.
also i believe the FAQ stated that all domestic teams will be in from all test countries ?
thanks kwek, i can rest eaasily and sleep at night now :p

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
CricketGames.com said:
. If you really think £25 is too much for the hours of potential enjoyment in Cricket Coach then don't buy it. But I reckon it is you who will lose out in this case not Rockhampton.

Daniel.
I have to agree with Daniel here. £25 is not very much at all.(Remember the bad old days when PC games retailed at between £40 and £50 quid about 10 years ago - that's when a packet of fags was under £3 and an expensive pint was £1:60. Myst cost me £42 - and that was on a managers discount at the old Electronics Boutique!!

The other point is also well made - this is a commercial enterprise. Profit is the most important factor - not sales.

Imagine game costs £60,000 to develop (2 or 3 years for one person) I'm just guessing here of course - then £3 to market / distribute etc (per unit)

1) @£15 per unit 10,000 sales = £150,000 (-60,000 - (10,000x3)) = £60,000 (before tax etc)

2) @£25 per unit 5,000 sales = £175,000 (-60,000 - (5000x3)) = £100,000 (before tax etc)

So half the sales (in this totally hypothetical example) still gives 66% more gross profit

The developers are in business - they will do the latter - and I'm going to support that - because if they fail to make a decent return on the time and money they have invested in this game i'm quite sure of one thing ........they won't make another.

:)

Clarker

scritty

sammy22 said:
Scritty,

You must be excited by the imminient release of the game?:laugh:
Oh yes - Going to download Friday night (and burn onto CD for "Keeps").

However will check the forums here and planetcricket first - just to make sure those that downloaded earlier in the day haven't come across any "showstoppers" :huh:

I keep my expectations at a reasonable level - not expecting it to compete with a level one EA release (Fifa / Tiger Woods/ Madden) etc...but expecting improvements in gameplay over ICC series ( lets face it the original ICC is now 8 years old - and the latest release isn't a great deal different ).

A laudible effort is worth my support anyway - Really want an OOTP style game for cricket fans though (SI - - - you listening ??) 8-)

Clarker

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
OOTPB (the one coming out this spring-ish time, and the 7th in the series) is the first one that SI has been involved with.

scritty

Neil Pickup said:
Out of the Park Baseball. ******* child of Football Manager.
Oh Neil - that's not the case at all.

OOTP is entering it's 7th iteration (8 really - as OOTP 6.5 was a far bigger change over 6.0 than say ICC2005 is over any of the previous ICC games)

Been in development by real baseball fans for about 10 years..Got into bed with SI to use the codebase to speed up and improve the match engine and user navigation around the game

If anyones played old Champ man or new FM games then they'll knw how good and fast the database is - and how every possible link in the game is a "hotlink" - ie you see a players name anywhere (news report / after match physio report / scouts reccomendation list ANYWHERE) - you click on it and you are straight into his full stats - same for teams / managers/ grounds EVERYTHING ..I'ts beautifully written - many tens of thousands of players with dozens of well researched stats great match engine (that behaves very well unlike NEW champ manager) and both the PC and MAC version fit onto one CD (that's right CD not DVD)

Game will remain solely written by Baseball Fans - but will use SI's very good database structures. AFAIC that's the best of both worlds

Now to do that for cricket (so you get Kolpak / central contracts / 2nd XI control / Ground improvement / Named coaches with specific skills / youth academy / more detailed transfer system etc etc. all wrapped in a nice drag and drop interface

I'm knocking on 40 - and I remember not so long ago - players changing clubs was pretty rare. My lot (Worcestershire) got the first real coup in 1988 with Botham from Somerset and Dilley from Kent (courtesy of Duncan Fearnley's cash) - Remember thinking "Wow - top players actually changing clubs !!""

It happens all the time now - yet most cricket games seem to have it tacked on as an afterthought. I lost count of how many overseas players we had last year (Akhtar / Gayle / Vaas / 2 South Africans) at one point they were coming and going every match

SI's engine would thunder through these complications like there was no tomorrow.

(Will Cricket coaches I wonder ? - it does seem to have a similar "look" to it ...?? I hope so)

Clarker

Marc Duffy

Cricket Spectator
scritty said:
Oh Neil - that's not the case at all.

OOTP is entering it's 7th iteration (8 really - as OOTP 6.5 was a far bigger change over 6.0 than say ICC2005 is over any of the previous ICC games)

Been in development by real baseball fans for about 10 years..Got into bed with SI to use the codebase to speed up and improve the match engine and user navigation around the game

If anyones played old Champ man or new FM games then they'll knw how good and fast the database is - and how every possible link in the game is a "hotlink" - ie you see a players name anywhere (news report / after match physio report / scouts reccomendation list ANYWHERE) - you click on it and you are straight into his full stats - same for teams / managers/ grounds EVERYTHING ..I'ts beautifully written - many tens of thousands of players with dozens of well researched stats great match engine (that behaves very well unlike NEW champ manager) and both the PC and MAC version fit onto one CD (that's right CD not DVD)

Game will remain solely written by Baseball Fans - but will use SI's very good database structures. AFAIC that's the best of both worlds

Now to do that for cricket (so you get Kolpak / central contracts / 2nd XI control / Ground improvement / Named coaches with specific skills / youth academy / more detailed transfer system etc etc. all wrapped in a nice drag and drop interface

I'm knocking on 40 - and I remember not so long ago - players changing clubs was pretty rare. My lot (Worcestershire) got the first real coup in 1988 with Botham from Somerset and Dilley from Kent (courtesy of Duncan Fearnley's cash) - Remember thinking "Wow - top players actually changing clubs !!""

It happens all the time now - yet most cricket games seem to have it tacked on as an afterthought. I lost count of how many overseas players we had last year (Akhtar / Gayle / Vaas / 2 South Africans) at one point they were coming and going every match

SI's engine would thunder through these complications like there was no tomorrow.

(Will Cricket coaches I wonder ? - it does seem to have a similar "look" to it ...?? I hope so)

Clarker
Using the SI technology would certainly give the game a foundation, but the SI engine would not necessarily equate to the inclusion of "Kolpak / central contracts / 2nd XI control / Ground improvement / Named coaches with specific skills / youth academy / more detailed transfer system etc etc".

Someone would have to program those features and game AI.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Looks like they agreed with the people, who thought the price was too high in the end:

Focus Multimedia to publish Cricket Coach
Posted by Oli Norwell on March 16th 2006
We are proud to announce that Focus Multimedia will be publishing Cricket Coach in the United Kingdom.

Focus will be releasing the title in May 2006, it will be priced at £9.99.

This version of Cricket Coach is to be endorsed by a leading international cricketer, who featured heavily in England's Ashes victory over Australia in 2005.

Pale

Cricket Spectator
I've heard that the price of the Softwrap version is different to the retail version. I've got no idea how but that must be why the prices are different.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
James said:
Looks like they agreed with the people, who thought the price was too high in the end:

Yeah but the CD means you don't get the free updates and addons like the download gives you

Emcee

Cricket Spectator
Isn't this essentially charging for patches, which is pretty average if its the case. I thought Oli was trying to make this game like the cricket version of CM/FM, who allow full data editing, free patches and updates.