• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-WWII Draft

ataraxia

International Coach
The rules are simple: every Test player must have finished their last Test before 1 January 1950. Players who didn't play Tests must have retired from first-class cricket before that cutoff. People who didn't play any FC cricket must have died before that cutoff. No Bradman. Looking for around 10 players. Normal rules for the order of each round.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why not just no FC debuts after 1939?

Hutton played til the mid 50s but held the world record high score score pre WW2 so certainly fits the theme

And I won't go into how silly it would be to disqualify Headley

But regardless, in

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Because that wouldn't be a pre WWII draft? Guys like Lindsay Hassett and Sid Barnes who played a handful of matches in the 30s but nearly all their cricket post war would be eligible even though they clearly are not primarily pre WWII players.

ataraxia

International Coach

Hutton played til the mid 50s but held the world record high score score pre WW2 so certainly fits the theme

And I won't go into how silly it would be to disqualify Headley

But regardless, in
I could make an exception for Headley, but the thing about the hard cutoff is that players you don't think would make it often do. Headley is the only predominantly pre-WWII player to have played afterwards of 1950.

Basically, the hard cutoff makes surprises over who can make it and who can't, and that is good for a draft IMO.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I was wondering if any living Test cricketers would be eligible, but apparently not (Ronald Draper, whose Test career ended in March 1950, being closest).

ataraxia

International Coach
I was wondering if any living Test cricketers would be eligible, but apparently not (Ronald Draper, whose Test career ended in March 1950, being closest).
Interesting if there are any FC cricketers eligible still living, but that would be very hard to find. Andy Ganteaume comes close for being a Test cricketer, having died 3 and a half years ago. Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Griffiths,_Baron_Griffiths is close.

We've got 9 participants so far, I'm happy for up to 12 here.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Two women qualify: Eileen Whelan and Thelma McKenzie.

Edit - Milenko beat me to it...

Last edited: