• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Better batsmen-Alastair Cook vs AB de Villiers in tests?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No he didn't. If it was so he would have just retired. The timing of next year this time is "convenient" to say the least when it comes to quotas and RSA possibly bidding for the T20 WC for 2018.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1) AB not playing test cricket has nothing to do with quotas. 2) Furball talking **** as usual.

3) Test cricket is hard work and 4) he has lot the appetite for it. 5) Simple as that.
1) Nope.
2) Nope.
3) Yes.
4) Probably not.
5) Nope.

cnerd123

likes this
The quotas won't stop SA from picking AB in Tests if he was available and willing to play. It's an average and they're probably well ahead given how they structure their limited overs sides.

IDK how people don't understand that still.

Dendarii

International Debutant
The quotas won't stop SA from picking AB in Tests if he was available and willing to play. It's an average and they're probably well ahead given how they structure their limited overs sides.
They're possibly not "well ahead" as a result of at times only playing one of Rabada and Phehlukwayo in the T20 and ODIs against New Zealand, but they definitely do still have some leeway when it comes to picking sides that don't quite match the quota. And as I did mention earlier in the thread, they could still maintain the quota by having AB replace Duminy and Parnell come in as the third seamer. Not that I'm all that keen to see Parnell in the test side, but I'd have to grudgingly admit that it wouldn't be a completely ludicrous selection.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
First time I entered this thread and it`s like every other thread with regards to a SA team or player... just talk about quotas for 3 pages. I`m not sure if that is an effect of the actual quota or peoples perception of it. I mean this was a comparison between Cook and deVillers for goodness sake.

Oh and deVillers by a country mile. Somebody said that Cook achieved more? What more did he achieve in tests than deVillers has, outside being a better captain.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rate the chef though even though he hasnt done a hell of a lot v Saf and when Australia are on their game too.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, difference in average of 4 and 53, same thing.
Yeah, lots of not outs....

Seriously though, its difficult to compare based on 100`s when one player plays for a team that plays less games that is no fault of his own. Both have done well for there respective teams and are great players. For me deVillers is a superior player that has accomplished everything if not more than Cook has for his team. Except captain well and maybe win the Ashes.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I would have AB as superior too, but it should be taken into consideration that Cook is an opener which is by default a harder job than a number 4 or 5. AB's record opening isn't great. It's just a more difficult gig.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh and deVillers by a country mile. Somebody said that Cook achieved more? What more did he achieve in tests than deVillers has, outside being a better captain.
Country mile is pushing it surely? AB averages 50 and Cook around 46, and considering Cook opens, that too in a country which is tough for top order batsmen, their records are certainly comparable.

Cook's greatest achievements will always be the 2011 Ashes and the 2012 series in India. Absolutely immense performances in two of England's biggest series wins in recent times. Not saying AB hasn't done great things, but I don't think he's dominated a big series win to that extent.

91Jmay

International Coach
Also should be pointed out how many Tests Cook has to play. Maintaining an average playing a brutal schedule, including 5 Tests series De Villiers rarely has to play is very difficult.