• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player You'd Like To See Play More Cricket

Fiery

Banned
Gotta agree with Fiery here. Vincent is no Ponting, Lara etc but he is a relatively better option than other openers IMO. And he's in form. Use him.

Who would be your openers TH?
Not sure I would have him opening in a test. One-dayers definitely

Flem274*

123/5
Not sure I would have him opening in a test. One-dayers definitely
True, I was more thinking of ODI's before. He and Ryder would make a good combo if Ryder lost some weight. (Vincents speed would be negated by Ryders fat)

In tests it's definitely Papps and probably Cumming. When Cuming leaves though I reckon it will be How. That one has some class about him.

thierry henry

International Coach
Until you can suggest a replacement (and you obviously wont) then you haven't got much of an argument tbh th
Why not?

I'm not arguing that he shouldn't be in the team on recent form, I'm just saying that of all the players in international cricket, I dunno why someone would be desperate to see more of a guy who's been stinking it up for 100 games and over 6 years already.

Flem274*

123/5
Why not?

I'm not arguing that he shouldn't be in the team on recent form, I'm just saying that of all the players in international cricket, I dunno why someone would be desperate to see more of a guy who's been stinking it up for 100 games and over 6 years already.
On TV during the CB series I think it was they showed either his test or one day record. The first half was crap, the second half was quite good.

Fiery

Banned
Why not?

He hasn't been "stinking it up". He's a highly entertaining player. I know he has provided me with plenty of good cricket viewing despite his failings

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He hasn't been "stinking it up". He's a highly entertaining player. I know he has provided me with plenty of good cricket viewing despite his failings
Me too. Not to mention he seems to have a decent personality - he says what he thinks. He's a character, and IMO has the killer instinct which is something other NZ players need.

Fiery

Banned
Highly entertaining player whose ODI career strike rate recently cracked 70 after 90+ games of trying
Yeah but what has it been in the last 2-3 years since he changed his whole approach to batting and decided "**** it, I'm just gonna go hell for leather from now on". I enjoy watching him bat heaps and the game sure as hell needs characters like him

thierry henry

International Coach
If yall think the "killer instinct" consists of repeated scores of 20-off off 40-odd balls in ODIs and beating up on Zimbabwe and Kenya, well.......well I don't even know how to finish this sentence because the notion is so ridiculous

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah but what has it been in the last 2-3 years since he changed his whole approach to batting and decided "**** it, I'm just gonna go hell for leather from now on". I enjoy watching him bat heaps and the game sure as hell needs characters like him
He did it well for a little while and then inevitably his reckless approached failed and he was actually dropped from the team for an extended period about 12 months ago. He went well again since coming back but at this point the bright points of his ODI career have been 2 brief patches of form with a poor patch of form, including him being dropped, in between.

Fiery

Banned
He did it well for a little while and then inevitably his reckless approached failed and he was actually dropped from the team for an extended period about 12 months ago. He went well again since coming back but at this point the bright points of his ODI career have been 2 brief patches of form with a poor patch of form, including him being dropped, in between.
Never know...we may have won the WC if he hadn't broken his arm

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If yall think the "killer instinct" consists of repeated scores of 20-off off 40-odd balls in ODIs and beating up on Zimbabwe and Kenya, well.......well I don't even know how to finish this sentence because the notion is so ridiculous
Even if you take out his scores against the minnows it stacks up alright. He's been one of our better performed players in last year and a bit and deserves to play in our next test series and open in ODI's.

But, he should bat in the middle order in tests.

thierry henry

International Coach
Dunno about tests. His FC record is average and his test record is average, and well....I just reckon he'd be pretty average.

ODIs he stinks, but can occasionally make runs on fast, flat pitches whilst slogging mindlessly.

Flem274*

123/5
Even if you take out his scores against the minnows it stacks up alright. He's been one of our better performed players in last year and a bit and deserves to play in our next test series and open in ODI's.

But, he should bat in the middle order in tests.
Quite right.

Also as I said before, as long as he performs and performs better than other players in contention for his spot then there is no logical reason why he should not play. Full stop.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's funny how NZ fans are so passionate about such a consistently poor performer. Lou seems to have the midas touch in terms of getting the fans on his side.

Flem274*

123/5
It's funny how NZ fans are so passionate about such a consistently poor performer. Lou seems to have the midas touch in terms of getting the fans on his side.
Not really, when Astle retired and Lou was his replacement I initially thought "Oh no, he's gonna waste a spot in our team." But he came in and performed. If he scores the runs, he stays. If not, he goes. It is that simple. The selectors dont care about who likes him, they just want someone to score runs.