• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Match

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still doesn't change the fact that in impact during open play for Mbappe > Messi, if we look at the totality of the tournament, for mine.
Nah, can't agree with that at all. Messi’s general passing and reading of the game even when not scoring separated him as always from the other goalscorers. His assists in the quarters and semi were as good as it gets.

I thought he was quite comfortably the best player overall, unlike the sympathy award he got in 2014 which he didn't deserve.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nah, can't agree with that at all. Messi’s general passing and reading of the game even when not scoring separated him as always from the other goalscorers. His assists in the quarters and semi were as good as it gets.

I thought he was quite comfortably the best player overall, unlike the sympathy award he got in 2014 which he didn't deserve.
I know I won't be able to change someone's mind on this. But for me, it is as follow: It's easy to see what attacking players are doing on the ball to open up a defense, it's much harder to evaluate and appreciate what Mbappe does off the ball to achieve those same ends. My comparison for Mbappe is with Real Madrid era Ronaldo. And actually Mbappe is more capable than Ronaldo in taking on a fullback with ball at feet, and dribbling along the wing, which is something Ronaldo rarely did by the end of his time at Madrid.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
right and messi has been comfortably better than ronaldo at his best throughout his career so by extension...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
right and messi has been comfortably better than ronaldo at his best throughout his career so by extension...
Messi the better player but to say it’s been comfortable throughout overstates how close they’ve been at times

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Messi the better player but to say it’s been comfortable throughout overstates how close they’ve been at times
agreed, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek...since shortpitched keeps trying to push ronaldo into the conversation... :p