• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitch conditions and weather

BostallBandits

Cricket Spectator
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place but I was hoping to get some information regarding the effect of weather on pitch conditions. I am writing a fiction book based on the adventures of a junior cricket team and I wanted to have an afternoon of cricket rained off during summer. The next day the sun comes out and shines fiercely drying up the ground.

What effect would this have on the wicket? Would it dry and crack? Would it play low and slow? Would it be better for spinners or pace bowlers the next morning after rain?

Thank you and much appreciated

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From the situation you have thought of, I think the main effect would be some moisture on the wicket which can make it a bit soft. It helps the ball hold up a little bit off the wicket and allows there to be more movement after pitching, either spin or seam. But with a full day of sun, the wicket should go back to how it would have originally behaved without the rain in a few hours.

At least that is how I read that situation as a fan and an amateur player till school level.

BostallBandits

Cricket Spectator
From the situation you have thought of, I think the main effect would be some moisture on the wicket which can make it a bit soft. It helps the ball hold up a little bit off the wicket and allows there to be more movement after pitching, either spin or seam. But with a full day of sun, the wicket should go back to how it would have originally behaved without the rain in a few hours.

At least that is how I read that situation as a fan and an amateur player till school level.
Thanks for the reply!

The situation I want to create is a three day test game.

I want the last session of Day 2 to be abandoned due to rain.

Then on the first session of day 3 I'd like the pitch to play well for batters and poor for pacers (or just bowlers in general)

By the last session on day 3 I'm hoping the pitch will play well for spinners.

Do you think this sounds realistic?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, it really depends coz in this scenario, the pitch will behave mostly the same as it did on Day 2 in the 2nd session. If there was no more rain except when it rained out the last session, then the pitch would have settled down a bit and the morning it should still be almost the same as the previous afternoon, except maybe slightly more sticky and therefore slower pace off the track and possibly a slower outfield.

Maybe if you mention the pitch had settled down into a batting beauty on Day 2, then its definitely conceivable the pitch remains the same on Day 3 morning inspite of the rain the previous day. Of course, if you wanna be very accurate, you can mention it only rained for those 2 hours and did not rain since.

BostallBandits

Cricket Spectator
Thank you so much. I reckon that will work! Much appreciated!

Well, it really depends coz in this scenario, the pitch will behave mostly the same as it did on Day 2 in the 2nd session. If there was no more rain except when it rained out the last session, then the pitch would have settled down a bit and the morning it should still be almost the same as the previous afternoon, except maybe slightly more sticky and therefore slower pace off the track and possibly a slower outfield.

Maybe if you mention the pitch had settled down into a batting beauty on Day 2, then its definitely conceivable the pitch remains the same on Day 3 morning inspite of the rain the previous day. Of course, if you wanna be very accurate, you can mention it only rained for those 2 hours and did not rain since.