• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pin Tendulkar's fail on one bowler or team collapse

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyways, if I can pull this thread back to something of it's original ambition - now that we have worked out it is missed days of play that is the cause of Tendulkar's unfortunate plight, I was originally hoping to hear about some quite unexpected bowling performances.

I'm not talking about things like McGrath, where he decimated England, but it was in conditions where you may have expected that. I was looking for a bowling performance that was just way out of the park unexpected, where one bowler was Hyde to everyone else's Jeckle for no particular reason - something where the pitch wasn't the factor. I think Gladstone Small may have done one of these once. That sort of stuff.
How about Jerome Taylor (test average 35) and Sulieman Benn (39) knocking England over for 51 on the fourth day at Sabina Park 2009, where both teams scored over 300 and you would expect England to have put up a 150+ lead for West Indies to have a go at. Neither side could bowl out the other for the rest of the 4-match series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Or that match in Cape Town which finished inside two and a half days because SA were bowled out for 96 (at the hands of Shane Watson) and Australia responded with 47 all out. The pitch was placid enough for SA to chase 236 with two wickets left in the fourth innings.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyways, if I can pull this thread back to something of it's original ambition - now that we have worked out it is missed days of play that is the cause of Tendulkar's unfortunate plight, I was originally hoping to hear about some quite unexpected bowling performances.

I'm not talking about things like McGrath, where he decimated England, but it was in conditions where you may have expected that. I was looking for a bowling performance that was just way out of the park unexpected, where one bowler was Hyde to everyone else's Jeckle for no particular reason - something where the pitch wasn't the factor. I think Gladstone Small may have done one of these once. That sort of stuff.
Not necessarily one bowler, but Pakistan v Australia in UAE in 2002 where they were bowled out for 50 in each innings, on perfectly fine wickets wouldn't have helped. They should have made at least 250 in each innings.

Victor Ian

International Coach
They are all fine efforts, and I am enjoying reading through the scorecards and imagining the matches in my mind, but I'm looking for the most one-playerish performance of them all. It may not exist, but in over 100 test years, surely it must.

vcs

That Pakistan 2002 twin-50s match was hilarious. Rarely have I laughed so much.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not necessarily one bowler, but Pakistan v Australia in UAE in 2002 where they were bowled out for 50 in each innings, on perfectly fine wickets wouldn't have helped. They should have made at least 250 in each innings.
Not surprising considering Pakistan top 6 in that game. Anwar, Mo Yo (who was still Yo Yo) and Inzi were out with injuries the batting was led by Younis who was in his 2nd year of test cricket and still finding his feet then there was Misbah in his rookie year and it would take him 5 more years to be an acceptable test batsman the rest of the line up never achieved any thing barring some moderate success here and there.

TheJediBrah

some of those wickets really make you question if something dodgy was going on, if you know what I mean. Guiding the ball to gully, hitting catches straight to fielders, missing straight slow full-tosses from Warne.

Not surprising considering Pakistan top 6 in that game. Anwar, Mo Yo (who was still Yo Yo) and Inzi were out with injuries the batting was led by Younis who was in his 2nd year of test cricket and still finding his feet then there was Misbah in his rookie year and it would take him 5 more years to be an acceptable test batsman the rest of the line up never achieved any thing barring some moderate success here and there.
ok

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
some of those wickets really make you question if something dodgy was going on, if you know what I mean. Guiding the ball to gully, hitting catches straight to fielders, missing straight slow full-tosses from Warne.
Probably a conspiracy to deny Tendulkar this record.

OverratedSanity

Classic rob video description too

MATCH FIXING!!!!! What sort of bull**** is this? The most spineless rank ********* batting ever in test history. Fail beyond fail, flop beyond flop. Almost reminiscent of Sachin's long line of flops.

LOL, im kidding of course.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Another nothing stat to make another player 'happy'. It seems like Samaraweera scored the 2 millionth run in test cricket.

This is how things were before the 2nd test between Sri Lanka and England in 2012 - 38 runs required
Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

This is how the runs were scored. On 37 Samaraweera hit 2 runs.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...st-england-in-sri-lanka-test-series?innings=1

Keep your eyes peeled around 2032 when the 3 millionth run should be scored based on 50000 test runs per year (2016 standards)

I wonder if the pressure was what conspired to make Sangakara make a duck that innings.

Poor Asian legends just can't take a trick

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can really only blame this definitively on the final innings of a match. If a team that is all out for 118 in their first innings had scored more the whole of the rest of the game changes. Extra runs would come if a team chasing 350 had made 300 instead of 250.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
355 also being the exact number of runs that noted choker Tendulkar personally fell short in the 2003 World Cup Final chase, it has to be considered a number of cosmic significance.