• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oz: Champion team vs Team of Champions

Rooboy

Cricket Spectator
Watson has been the biggest waste of time and resources in the last five years. Get him in the ODI team for sure he should be cemented in that side basically because he is just a fitter version of Shane Lee.

Regarding tests, i think Aust could of spent the last few years finding a Warne replacement instead of this all rounder crap because Flintoff towelled em up in the 05 ashes. One of the spinners who are playing musical chairs at the moment could of had an apprenticeship completed by now and solved the slow bowler problem 12 months ago.

Symonds is not a test player and never will be, leave where he belongs, which isn't in white.

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Watson has been the biggest waste of time and resources in the last five years. Get him in the ODI team for sure he should be cemented in that side basically because he is just a fitter version of Shane Lee.

Regarding tests, i think Aust could of spent the last few years finding a Warne replacement instead of this all rounder crap because Flintoff towelled em up in the 05 ashes. One of the spinners who are playing musical chairs at the moment could of had an apprenticeship completed by now and solved the slow bowler problem 12 months ago.

Symonds is not a test player and never will be, leave where he belongs, which isn't in white.
This is a unfair comment. Watson has been ridden by terrible injuries through no fault of his own. Although, I was also surprised by Australia strange fascination to have an all-rounder when they had a solid team.
Warne was a once in a lifetime bowler. But I agree that Cricket Australia should have been better prepared for a spinning option (and by that I mean not Cameron White).
Symonds has been in bad form, and he does seem to get himself into a world of problems. But in his day, he was reliable with the bat, and could always be thrown the ball for a few overs. Not to mention, he is a spectacular fielder. He has some success in the longer format of the game, and he deserved his place. Although, one must wonder how much longer Cricket Australia can wait for Symonds to be fit and regain his form. My guess is his time is not long.

-Chimpdaddy-

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish that some people would realise that you can't become a good spinner by having an "apprenticeship", nor can you create good spinners by "finding" them.

There is this thing called ability. A bowler has to have it to be good. Currently, no-one in Australia (at least, no-one who ever showed an interest in cricket at the right age) has it. And no amount of planning and preparation was ever going to change that.

Beau Casson, Cameron White, Jason Krejza and Nathan Hauritz (and the rest) are poor bowlers because they lack the skill. Not because they weren't given the right preparation.