• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overrated/Underrated

simmy

International Regular
Underrated

He revolutionised one-day cricket and the SL side looks so much weaker without him.

Shane Bond

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He was one of those Indian batsmen with a pretty good record, but he seemed to score heavily at home and was mediocre abroad. That said, a lot of Indian batsmen were the same way.

Over-rated, I'd say. His stats flatter his batsmanship in my estimation.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sidhu was never one for pace bowling, but in general he had the common sense as an opener(or the opener's mentality) to try and see the new ball off before destroying whatever spinner came in thereafter. easily Indias best opener of the 90s, and India definetly tried a fair few.
As far as his record away from home is concerned, between 92 and the end of his career he barely ever toured outside the subcontinent, he had a couple of tours of NZ and WI and and while he wasnt brilliant, he certainly wasnt downright poor either(except towards the fag end of his career)
As far as Sanath is concerned, cant say i ever rated him in test matches particularly away from home although hes still one of SL best test openers ever. As an ODI player i think Jayasuriya is overrated at best. Yes on his day he can be devastating but its not entirely surprising that his record gets distinctly worse against all the quality ODI sides.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
overrated - he had one very good year, but didn't merit he reselection at Hodge's expense.
He had one excellent year in 2004 yes but between 2000 early 2005 Martyn was very consistent & i'd say he is rated just about right.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Underrated - awesome striker of the ball, but seam bowling didn't really take off. Had there been no Razzaq around, Mahmood would have come good.

Abdur Razzaq

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Autobahn said:
Batting rated about right but i feel his bowling is heavily underrated.
Since his last 5-wicket haul in Tests (v SL in 2004/05):

329.1 overs
31 wickets
39.54 average
3.72 economy
63.70 SR

That's really not very good at all...

Last 16 ODI games (since his last 4-wicket hau - v WI in 2005):

92.4 overs
10 wickets
48.70 average
5.25 economy
55.55 SR

Abdur Razzaq has been a mediocre bowler for a while now.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
oz_fan said:
Overrated

Steve Waugh
rated about right - considered a great player, and a favourite of many, but not in the very very top tier of batsman in history - merely one the best of his generation.

Kapil Dev

oz_fan

International Regular
Matt79 said:
rated about right - considered a great player, and a favourite of many, but not in the very very top tier of batsman in history - merely one the best of his generation.

Kapil Dev
Rated right as a bowler
Underrated as a batsman - 8 centuries and 27 fifties for a bowling allrounder is incredible.

Ian Botham

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Since his last 5-wicket haul in Tests (v SL in 2004/05):

329.1 overs
31 wickets
39.54 average
3.72 economy
63.70 SR

That's really not very good at all...

Last 16 ODI games (since his last 4-wicket hau - v WI in 2005):

92.4 overs
10 wickets
48.70 average
5.25 economy
55.55 SR

Abdur Razzaq has been a mediocre bowler for a while now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. Especially in ODIs where he used to be very very good. He's completely fallen off the wagon now, and as you said, its been for a while now.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
oz_fan said:
In tests - Rated right
In ODI's - Overrated

VVS Laxman
underrated in my books. Laxman can play top innings against quality bowlers unlike certain players cough ....Graeme Smith...cough...

Danish Kaneria

adharcric

International Coach
Rated right. He's talented but hasn't provided amazing results thus far, and that's about the level at which he's rated by most people.

Sourav Ganguly

IqbalJaved

Cricket Spectator
adharcric said:
Rated right. He's talented but hasn't provided amazing results thus far, and that's about the level at which he's rated by most people.

Sourav Ganguly

Rated about right as captain, underrated as an ODI batsman and overrated as a test batsman.

Jason Gillespie

sideshowtim

Banned
Has Nathan Brackens name come up in this thread yet? Just take a look at his ODI stats, they are magnificent. He always picks up the wickets when they are needed and gets overlooked quite alot by everyone. A very important part of Australia's ODI team.

LongK

Cricket Spectator
Definately Bracken.. for someone who has take 65 wickets at an average of 21 you have to be an asset to a team... yet no one mentions him after matches after players like Ponting/Huss steal the show

Another is Danish Kaneria. A good young spinner in tests and has a future ahead of him..