• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Team Wonders

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim Raja is a good one. Averaged 57, with two of his four hundreds vs WI during the mid to late 70s when they had an amazing pace attack. A very modest Avg of 30 vs everyone else combined.

What makes it better is the context of those runs too, they weren't normal wanker runs, many of those were true VVS laxman-esque arse-saving knocks.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Mitch Marsh has been mentioned but it's actually the Marsh brothers vs England

Against England Shaun averaged 55.87 and Mitch averages 50.23. Against all other countries Shaun averaged 31.34 and Mitch 20.76
We have a history of letting mediocre Aussie batters destroy us.

Greg Blewett 48 v us, 34 career average.
Andrew Symonds 58 against a career average of 40
And the egg faced Matt Elliott 55 against us with a career average of 33.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
We have a history of letting mediocre Aussie batters destroy us.

Greg Blewett 48 v us, 34 career average.
Andrew Symonds 58 against a career average of 40
And the egg faced Matt Elliott 55 against us with a career average of 33.
Has it ever occured to you that at times England was a team people cashed in against much like others have with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and now the Windies?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I wouldn’t say he was absolutely amazing against them, Chris Martin’s record against SA is pretty remarkable relative to the rest of his career, especially given how often he played them and how strong a batting lineup they typically had during that era. 55 wickets at 26.72 v SA out of a career record of 233 at 34.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I remember how bad we were in the 90s, yet despite being that ****ing terrible we still managed to beat New Zealand in 1990, 91/92, 94 and 96/97.
The days of Young, Hartland and Rutherford occupying positions 1 to 3. Awful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While I wouldn’t say he was absolutely amazing against them, Chris Martin’s record against SA is pretty remarkable relative to the rest of his career, especially given how often he played them and how strong a batting lineup they typically had during that era. 55 wickets at 26.72 v SA out of a career record of 233 at 34.
Yeah he seemed to find that late inswing against SA a lot more often than he did to other teams. Smith and Kirsten hated it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Happened at home as well tbf.
Yeah, got 11 on an absolute highway at Eden Park in 2004. Was bowling good heat in that series as well, frequently around the 140 mark. I remember Ian Smith saying he overheard Cairns asking Martin after the completion of the first innings “How on earth did you manage to get 6 wickets on that pitch?”

Had us briefly hoping that we’d unearthed a genuine talent to fill the void while we were waiting for Bond to sellotape his spine back into one piece.

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Ashwin is far from a One Team wonder with the ball but his performances with the bat against West Indies has been absolutely staggering , 4 Test tons in 13 innings. If he followed that ratio against everyone else he'd have 40 Test hundreds rather than 5 ..Averaging above 50 vs WI home and away , they must really be sick of the sight of him ..Even dismissed a father and son combo of West Indies .

NZTailender

Yeah, got 11 on an absolute highway at Eden Park in 2004. Was bowling good heat in that series as well, frequently around the 140 mark. I remember Ian Smith saying he overheard Cairns asking Martin after the completion of the first innings “How on earth did you manage to get 6 wickets on that pitch?”

Had us briefly hoping that we’d unearthed a genuine talent to fill the void while we were waiting for Bond to sellotape his spine back into one piece.
Reckon Martin deserves a knighthood for being able to stay on the park during the dark ages.

I wonder what he could've achieved with better bowling partners backing him up, helping create pressure by keeping it tight etc. and batsmen who could put up a decent total to defend.

NZTailender

Reckon Martin deserves a knighthood for being able to stay on the park during the dark ages.

I wonder what he could've achieved with better bowling partners backing him up, helping create pressure by keeping it tight etc. and batsmen who could put up a decent total to defend.
Just looked it up - Martin played 71 tests over 13 years and his most prolonged seam bowling support in that time was James Franklin with 25 tests over 12 years, followed by Jake Oram with 22 tests.

Tim Southee, in comparison, has played 94 tests and has been supported by Boult for 64 of those and Wagner 51 times. Hell, even 17 times by Martin - which actually puts Southee 4th on seamers Martin bowled with (O'Brien ahead of him with 18 appearances).

Crazy to think how few seamers we could consistently keep on the park between 2000 and 2013.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Think he’s also unlucky to have played before Stuart Broad made the startling discovery that all left handers suck against around the wicket outswing.