• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
OK. In your very humble opinion, why are Mankads not commonplace in cricket?
Coz they are difficult to do. You can also ask why are run outs via direct hits from the boundary not common place in cricket.

In your humble opinion, why should you not run out someone who is out of their crease when the ball is in play?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
But it's not drivel. The very reason Mankads don't appear in every game (which they probably could) is because it's a pretty dubious way to conduct yourself on the cricket field, and cricketers are aware of that. See Deepti's sheepish reaction to Dean's dismissal as Exhibit A.

I can't seem to find the pic, but there is a pic of the Indian team when the decision is being referred and none of them look sheepish. They were celebrating it happily.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Every time it is done, so many people come out to criticize it and act as if the player lacks morals. Not every player has the mental strength to take such comments.
Which exactly speaks to the fact it has something to do with spirit of cricket. Thanks for clearing it up.

99.9% of cricketers have never done it. And never will. That's as close to a fact as the earth being round

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Coz they are difficult to do. You can also ask why are run outs via direct hits from the boundary not common place in cricket.
Difficult to do? As in eight-times-in-80 years (source: Wiki) difficult? I beg to differ.

In your humble opinion, why should you not run out someone who is out of their crease when the ball is in play?
You should. Just not by Mankading. In my humble opinion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which exactly speaks to the fact it has something to do with spirit of cricket. Thanks for clearing it up.

99.9% of cricketers have never done it. And never will. That's as close to a fact as the earth being round
It is just stupidly wrong and inaccurate, simply because of the number of people who play cricket in India.

And I was run out this way when I was 12 playing U15s when 3 people pulled out the last minute at school due to failing their exams the previous day. Anecdotally, it has always been the batter who was blamed when they were dismissed this way and it happens quite often in the levels I played at, in beach, street and school cricket.

Funnily enough, it almost never led to a fight and in beach cricket, we have had fights about batsmen getting bowled. :laugh:

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
I can't seem to find the pic, but there is a pic of the Indian team when the decision is being referred and none of them look sheepish. They were celebrating it happily.
The whole narrative around this has been weird. The Indian side being sheepish because they are embarrassed, Dean crying because of the injustice rather than it being pure disappointment at being out having come this close, any pro-mankad comment from a prominent figure being called biased because it was either Ashwin or an Indian in opposition to the English cricketers all being very unbiased when they offer their anti-mankad comments…

Cruxdude

International Debutant

How did you get that from my comment? Some people acting holier than thou while doing other acts that are even worse just shows that "spirit of the game" is something that is completely made up and exists only where it is convenient.

Where do you get this 99.9% from? Considering that most cricketers (including casual) are in India and you will absolutely get run out backing up that far in India you are surely wrong.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Every time it is done, so many people come out to criticize it and act as if the player lacks morals. Not every player has the mental strength to take such comments.
Yeah. Which goes to my point really. But it should be taken out of their hands. It shouldn't be an option.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Difficult to do? As in eight-times-in-80 years (source: Wiki) difficult? I beg to differ.

Honestly what else is the bowler supposed to do? Beg the non-striker to come back to the crease? Or protest by not bowling until they stay in the crease?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

She did not. She just got her run out at the non-striker's end backing up, perfectly acceptable and normal. In my humble opinion.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yeah. Which goes to my point really. But it should be taken out of their hands. It shouldn't be an option.
I would like it if they implement what Ash suggested. But MCC seems to be doubling down on runouts and when that is the case we should stop insulting players who play by the rules.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How did you get that from my comment? Some people acting holier than thou while doing other acts that are even worse just shows that "spirit of the game" is something that is completely made up and exists only where it is convenient.

Where do you get this 99.9% from? Considering that most cricketers (including casual) are in India and you will absolutely get run out backing up that far in India you are surely wrong.
Could there be a cultural difference in play here?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Could there be a cultural difference in play here?
I saw someone post on twitter that most Indians start playing cricket through gully cricket and other equivalents which are pretty cut throat. So these sort of things are pretty much considered par for the course. Maybe that explains why it is completely acceptable for many Indians and not for the rest.

I think what makes this argument so bitter is that people who oppose this seem to attack the morals of the players for no fault of theirs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As much as I don't agree with your opinions, they have a humble hue to them. I like it.

We're going in circles, are we not. We'll see what transpires.
I am totally ok to agree to disagree. This law and the way its interpreted is one of my biggest pet peeves in cricket, so I do realize I maybe a bit more aggressive on this than normal. Sorry about that. I just dont think anyone should be put through questions and judgements of morality and fairness for simply running out a batter when they were not in their crease with the ball in play.