• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

cnerd123

likes this
Bit of a boring final, but fun tournament. West Indies and South African captains from the last world cup out there together hitting the winning runs.

Gonna compile an XI of players selected for FBI22 who didn't get a chance to bat or bowl lol. Starting with Maryam Bibi - part of the championship winning Tornadoes team but didn't get a chance to do anything.

ataraxia

International Coach
Yeah, Martin was decent last WC but beforehand looked pretty mediocre in the run-up to it.

Sad to see her go; she actually played a test for NZ in 2003 lol; now no NZ players have test experience. There's a pretty big gap to fill in the keeper's spot now.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I'm struggling to think who could take over. I know Priest is still doing pretty well in T20 leagues, but she's 36 now. Can't say any of the keepers made a huge impression on me during the domestic season. Wellington's Jess McFadyen might have been the best of them, although she's 30 too.

Flem274*

123/5
One of my favourite players. Not shy in the field, battles hard with the bat. Gold career. Wish we could have sent her off on a better note but she's a gun.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amy Satterthwaite has missed out on a 2022/23 contract despite being one of our best batters, so has retired. Big loss for the Commonwealth Games where NZ should be targeting a medal after an awful World Cup.
Certainly the way she's characterised it sounds like poor communication from NZC. Not sure this is the way to treat our long servers. I don't feel that these contract discussions should ever come as a surprise. If a player isn't performing, then sure, they should be dropped, but I'd hope clear expectations are set and that players are understand those expectations, how they'll be measured etc.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not like we have an abundance of young batting talent beating down the door. We really could have used a few more seasons of her skill, experience and composure. :(
Well, David White appears to disagree with your assessment of the young batting talent at NZ's disposal. Certainly needs to be some development as from what I've seen of the women's cricket tournament in NZ, most of the already capped NZ players stand out head and shoulders above the rest as things stand. Satterthwaite will be very hard to replace, but Maddie Green and Brooke Halliday (as examples) aren't in the same league, and aren't exactly 'exciting young talent' either.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
About time. Not sure what USA and PNG have done to deserve ODI status ahead of UAE, but the remaining three nations deserve it.
maybe the UAE board didn't bother to apply

also i read something that these are now the only nations that can qualify for the next world cup (although presumably if Thailand look likely to qualify again they'll **** them over)

cnerd123

likes this
I think UAE's lack of a domestic women's cricket structure hurt them too. They've got a good pool of players in their national setup but no real women's club cricket if I understand correctly.

And yea seems like the pool of nations that can qualify for the 2025 ODI World Cup is narrowed to the 15 ODI nations, with 10 of them playing in the Women's Championship to determine automatic entry. These 5 new teams probably left to schedule their own games, and will get into some sort of qualifying tournament with the bottom teams from the Championship to determine who gets into the 2025 World Cup

Always 1 step forward 2 steps back...