• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** U-19 World Cup 2004

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
Meanwhile NZ have made a solid start 26/1 off 10 overs....Watling is really struggling though.

I think NZ are looking to play off the new ball & then pick the run rate up soon.
Chrisp is out c Karthik b Singh. NZ 2/26

RP Singh is bowling well .... he is a fast bowler than Ganguly said was quite promising.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
This Watling guy is really struggling from what iam reading on cricinfo.
Is he really one of the best two openers in the country?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he is big time....I know from playing with Peter Carey, that he's not an aggressive opener either.

I guess they need Watling to stick around though because NZ are in a slight bit of trouble.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think lack of experience will cost NZ here....the Indian U19's seem to play tournaments every 2 months or so.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Personally i think we should of just put or most aggressive batsman at the top.
I have only seen one player in the squad play before and that is Sean well i have seen him play a fair bit, But i know he likes to pla his shots if it is their he will have ago.
Like when i went along to watch my mate pla once Sean came down after getting dropped from senior cricket and went on to score a 60 ball 99 before getting caught at deep square leg.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
When I first saw the squad I thought it would be an excellent 4 day team...but I think a few too many of the batsmen are not attacking enough for international OD cricket.

This team is way different to the 2002 team which featured a number of aggressive players like Ryder, Taylor & Broom.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
It does seem to lack excitment, From the information i have gained from the Otago U19 coach who said that the majority of the players would struggle with the shorter version of the game because of lack of experience with the format.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say he's spot on.

But maybe it's good that NZ is getting a mix of aggressive & defensive players each World Cup.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Required Run rate is starting to creep up for the Kiwis.

The Indians have bowled well so far to the New Zealand lads.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Well these players need experience some way or another and the one day format is the only way, S spose it is a good way to measure a players temprament and how they travel away from home.
You cant have a player that travels badly it can completley stuff the whole team pattern up.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ need to start forcing the pace or else the pressure will just build up so much that they could easily collapse to be all out for 90 or 100.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
I think lack of experience will cost NZ here....the Indian U19's seem to play tournaments every 2 months or so.
I don't think its that frequent Tim.

However I take your point about exposure. A lot of the Indian lads are reserves (or in some cases first team regulars) in their first class teams.
This is probably something that the Kiwi lads don't have.

For instance, Rayudu the India u-19 captain is a first team regular in Hyderbad where he gets to rub shoulders regularly with VVS Laxman and SLV Raju.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
None of these NZ players have played any FC cricket whatsoever...infact half the 2002 team haven't either.

In NZ, 17 & 18 year olds just don't seem to be pushed into FC cricket as quickly as they are in places like India & Pakistan.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It won't be if he manages to help NZ to a win....but I agree, 72 balls...he should really have a good idea on the pitch now & should be capable of picking the runs up faster.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
something like 20 runs in the last 4 overs...if they can keep that up with wickets in tact, they'll go very close to winning.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
jamesryfler said:
NZ seem to be increasing the scoring rate -- could have a close game here.

Praveen Gupta seems to be the one they're having more trouble against.
I'm surprised why leg spinner Abhishek Sharma and prolly India's best bowler hasn't come in yet.