• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah i agree monty... personally I had a go at the English crowds over the Ashes but this is just as bad.

shaka

International Regular
Hopefully they train and become better as a unit before the test arrives or else a innings defeat will be on the cards.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two MOM performances in the series; I find it difficult to believe Watson won't be named MOS.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
I'd give it to Watson.

Averaging 74 with the bat and 22 with the ball.
Yes, Watson. They just announced it.

Didn't think much of him before the series. I now have a far more open mind about his potential. Didn't do a whole lot the second game, but he's been extremely involved in the other two matches.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Adamc said:
There's nothing to suggest that Kallis is out of touch in Test matches; his ODI form shouldn't be a factor in the selection of the Test team. The World XI isn't supposed to be representative of all countries (there's a reason why Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have no World XI players); it's supposed to be representative of the best XI players over whatever the selection period is (i.e. the last twelve months or so). It's debatable whether the selectors achieved this aim - certainly Sangakkara and Kumble have been hard done by - but you can't simply say 'there are too many South Africans, so one of them should carry the drinks' when there is no-one better (in the 14-man squad) to replace them. I imagine they will pick the same XI that Marc posted.
This is not Australia v SA but Australia v Rest of the World.

Kallis doesn't make it on the basis of not 1 but 3 bad performances.Lara unfortunately cannot be, in view of his record. Therefore Kallis has to be dropped.

Between Akhtar and Pollock its a toss up. I would certainly play Harmison.

Top_Cat

Didn't do a whole lot the second game, but he's been extremely involved in the other two matches.
Harsh, man. He didn't get a bat and took a pivotal wicket. He didn't excell, true, but he was okay.

Adam Gilchrist named MOS! Just as good a pick, really. That ton and his runs in the first game were phenomenal. Set the tone and influenced the matches more than the mere number of runs.

Top_Cat

Even though I thought Watson had a great series, I hope this isn't a false dawn for him. He'll need to bowl quite well to take Test wickets in the Super Test and his batting is still getting there. Still, this series will help.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
This is not Australia v SA but Australia v Rest of the World.

Kallis doesn't make it on the basis of not 1 but 3 bad performances.Lara unfortunately cannot be, in view of his record. Therefore Kallis has to be dropped.

Between Akhtar and Pollock its a toss up. I would certainly play Harmison.
3 bad performances in ODIs. What does that have to do with TEST MATCHES? Kallis scored 147 in his last Test innings IIRC.

It's a bit of an exaggeration (something which you are quite fond of ;)) to call it Aus v RSA - I don't see how you can deny Smith, Kallis and Pollock a place in the 14-man squad at the least. Boucher's selection I don't agree with, as I mentioned before.

As for Harmison/Pollock/Akhtar - Pollock and Akhtar are far more accomplished Test match bowlers than Harmison, though you could argue that Akhtar ought to be left out due to relative inactivity in Test matches of late. There's no reason to drop Pollock, though, certainly not for Harmison.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
If you wanna go by this series' form, both of them should be dropped. And Lara made 4 test hundreds from his last 5 appearances. I wonder where Kallis suddenly became more consistent, if we are to take recent form as an indicator.
The form of this series really shouldnt be taken into consideration at all. Well, bad form anyway... good form is another story.

I never said Kallis was more consistant, simply that he had a "safer" feel to him. Plus, again, he has a better test average...

Really I think both should be picked, but given a choice between the two I'd take Kallis every time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kallis doesn't make it on the basis of not 1 but 3 bad performances.Lara unfortunately cannot be, in view of his record.
The fact that Kallis' record is better than Lara's completely shoots down that arguement.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Prince EWS said:
The form of this series really shouldnt be taken into consideration at all. Well, bad form anyway... good form is another story.

I never said Kallis was more consistant, simply that he had a "safer" feel to him. Plus, again, he has a better test average...

Really I think both should be picked, but given a choice between the two I'd take Kallis every time.
that is your opinion. Against Australia, Kallis won't even come close, for me.