• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
well done aussies. comprehensively thrashed the World Eleven. Really putting to rest any doubt in my mind that our reign at the top of world cricket is about to come to an end.

DJellett

International Debutant
Watson was truly dynamic this series - can't go past him for MotS IMO. Minutes away from finding out...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SirBloody Idiot said:
All over. Watson gets four.

Has to be MotM and MotS.
MOTM yes, but MOTS is decided from the test, which in my opinion will be Gilly, and to be honest, I think he's been the best player of the series.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Prince EWS said:
As good as Lara is to watch, I always feel as though he very well could get out of the next ball he faces.
Quite the opposite for me. Once Lara gets set I feel that he will never get out.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
hussey had a screamer played much better than watson should have been awarded six when he hit the roof
hussey motm and should play in the test

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Knopfler said:
I am starting to think that you like Murali. Murali and Vettori have definitely been the best performers for the World XI but with three floggings out of three the MOS must be an Aussie. In fact, they must be Gilly.

P.S. C'mon Afridi give us something to enjoy.
Well picked Up !! 8-) 8-) :laugh: :laugh:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
hmm when we lost the test series in india about 3 or 4 years ago we were still easily considered the best. we're entitled to a hiccup every so often in my opinion. sure england are a hell of a lot closer, but I still remain adament Australia are number one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Slats4ever said:
hmm when we lost the test series in india about 3 or 4 years ago we were still easily considered the best. we're entitled to a hiccup every so often in my opinion. sure england are a hell of a lot closer, but I still remain adament Australia are number one.
I don't think anyone doubts that they are no.1 at the moment. It is just that England CAN get there in a year or two's time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
greg said:
No, I'm saying he gets out because he doesn't change the way he plays.

On average in a ODI game you will be looking for your batsmen to be pushing 5-6 an over in the first 15, 4-5 an over in the middle 25 and 6+ an over in the last 10 (obviously this changes in different conditions and in different parts of the world - on the subcontinent for example you will expect higher in the first 15 and lower in the last 10, the reverse in England).

If you compare two openers, say, then the one with the far superior average is likely to spend a far greater percentage of the time batting in the middle 15 so will likely have a lower strike rate. He could, however, have exactly the same destructive impact in the first 15 overs, and therefore be unambiguously the more valuable player. I don't know how you get figures for strike rate in different periods of the innings though, which is what would be needed to dissect, for example, Gayle and Sehwag's comparative figures.
I partly agree with te first statement of yours. He indeed needs to apply himself more. I dont think he needs to change the way he plays too much. How he can apply himself better is some thing he has to work out himself.

Regarding getting out once he reaches 15 overs - if the matches in which Sehwag has been out is taken up he would be out in the first 15 overs many times. So his getting out is not much to do with the 15 over factor imo.

The strike rates - there is no way to compare that of Gayle and Sehwag in the first 15 overs and post 15 overs but I think Sehwag is generally far more destructive than Gayle in both periods.

Can Sehwag apply himself to achieve an higher average like he did previously in his career? We will have to wait and watch.