• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Srilanka and New Zealand LO tours to India - Jan 2023

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Boult will play the World Cup, everyone knows he's the best white ball bowler NZ's got. Boult, Ferguson, Santner and Southee/Henry is a decent bowling attack that should hopefully keep NZ in the contest. Generally agree with persisting with Allen, and I think 4 of the top 5 look pretty good. The big unanswered question is the middle-order. Unfortunately, NZ have given themselves very little time to trial out other options like Rachin, Young and Chapman so they're pretty dependant on Phillips, Mitchell and Macewell to get the job done.

Still optimistic that NZ will make the semi's, though that's more because of the parlous overall state of world cricket outside the big 3. But even with all the big-game experience the current squad has, I have a hard time seeing them going any further. Australia would crush us on the kinda surface we played on in game 2 and England would do the same on games 1 and 3. We'd have to get very fortunate and play on a more Bangladeshi style wicket to have a sniff.

Flem274*

123/5
We pissed around sorting our options before last wc then promptly stopped playing odis after. Our last good lump of info from reserves against good teams is from like 2017.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Boult will play the World Cup, everyone knows he's the best white ball bowler NZ's got. Boult, Ferguson, Santner and Southee/Henry is a decent bowling attack that should hopefully keep NZ in the contest.
Is Jamieson not in the first bowling line-up now?

thundaboult

International Debutant
Jamo has not done much for nz in white ball games as of yet...maybe just that debut odi against ind 3 years ago

Athlai

Not Terrible
We pissed around sorting our options before last wc then promptly stopped playing odis after. Our last good lump of info from reserves against good teams is from like 2017.
Yeah though I think we've lucked out majorly having Santa/Bracewell and Sodhi all looking very likely to start in all games

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah though I think we've lucked out majorly having Santa/Bracewell and Sodhi all looking very likely to start in all games
The world cup being in India is at the right time for you, guys.. Santa, Bracewell and Sodhi all can play in all the WC games sharing 25 overs between them. They all bat too.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I think Boult will play the World Cup, everyone knows he's the best white ball bowler NZ's got. Boult, Ferguson, Santner and Southee/Henry is a decent bowling attack that should hopefully keep NZ in the contest. Generally agree with persisting with Allen, and I think 4 of the top 5 look pretty good. The big unanswered question is the middle-order. Unfortunately, NZ have given themselves very little time to trial out other options like Rachin, Young and Chapman so they're pretty dependant on Phillips, Mitchell and Macewell to get the job done.

Still optimistic that NZ will make the semi's, though that's more because of the parlous overall state of world cricket outside the big 3. But even with all the big-game experience the current squad has, I have a hard time seeing them going any further. Australia would crush us on the kinda surface we played on in game 2 and England would do the same on games 1 and 3. We'd have to get very fortunate and play on a more Bangladeshi style wicket to have a sniff.
Like I said it looks good on paper Southee, Lockie, Henry/Jamieson and Santner as our first choice bowlers (add ish and bracewell to the mix) but if the conditions for seam bowling is not great then we'll need a lot of runs on board which I'm not confident of scoring.

jcas0167

International Debutant
If he's eligible does Foxcroft come into ODI WC contention? Handy off-spin and looks the goods with the bat. Probably not enough time to displace Mitchell though.

G. S. Kohli

I think if we want Allen at the WC he just has to continue playing and improving his game between now and then.

If you want to change courses at the last minute, the only alternative 'ready to go options' opening at domestic level with international experience are Ravindra, Seifert and George Worker. Ravindra would be alright and a decent spin option but I think you'd need to draft him in now. Seifert has the 'explosive' reputation but never really lived up to the hype. Actually don't mind Worker but he seems in the Neil Broom middling level of too good for domestic but not good enough for internationals against the top 5 sides.

Or do you take a punt on someone like Luke Georgeson or Jack Boyle?

(yes I literally just only looked at who opened in the recent round of the FT)
Seifert should try instead Allen as only batsman ( minus keeper).Latham keep wicket & instead of Mitchell you guys need Blundell at 4 in world cup in india

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Foxcroft not NZ citizen yet.He was SA u19 cricketer
Foxcroft got stuck in SA for 2 odd years cause he visited family over there then covid hit. I think he was either eligible at the time and covid ****ed his eligibility up or he would be now if he didn't get stuck in another country due to a freak disease. Would feel a bit unfair if he had to redo his 3 years because of something so far outside his control, especially given that he's good enough to play for NZ RN.

Also, can I just say that I'm gonna be more than a bit ticked off if Shipley doesn't start in this t20I series? Would be beyond idiotic to start him in ODI's but not t20's when he's been by far the best bowler in the super smash the past 2 seasons and only had half a season of good bowling in the ford trophy before his ODI callup.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, Foxcroft would be eligible now if he hadn't been locked out because of Covid. NZC are apparently seeking a waiver due to exceptional circumstances. Seems clear cut but I have no confidence the ICC will apply common sense.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that NZ have chosen Cleaver as backup keeper for this T20 series rather than Fletcher. They both have good Super Smash strike rates and averages the last few seasons, though I would've thought Fletcher batting down the order for Canterbury at 5/6 would fit the gaps in our side better than Cleaver, who bats 3.

It is rough for both of them they're blocked from more NZ matches by Blundell in tests and Latham in ODIs, but that's life. If you wanted to go full #ParticipationAwards to make the mouth breathers annoyed then it would be Tests: Blundell, ODIs: Cleaver, T20s: Fletcher, imo. There's a skerrick of an opening for one of them in the T20 side, given our paucity of finishers and Conway making a few errors with the gloves last tournament.

Cleaver is the one to get the chance, hope he makes an XI. Perhaps they decided Fletcher not quite eligible yet as he doesn't turn 30 until March.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'd like to wake up and see this team was fielded:

Allen
Conway
Chapman
Phillips
Cleaver+
Bracewell
Santner
Shipley
Sodhi
Ferguson
Lister

Idk why

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand management and selection, particularly in t20's is beyond frustrating. Pick Shipley then select him in the format he's worst in and not the one he's taken wickets at sub 20 in for a season and a half straight. Also, why on earth are they persisting with this Santner at 7 model? It ****ed then over in the WC final, and bracewells been good enough in t20's to play as a bowler at7/8. FFS if your gonna play Shipley I feel like it'de be the game where you have Santner at 7 and no batting depth below 8.

G. S. Kohli

New Zealand management and selection, particularly in t20's is beyond frustrating. Pick Shipley then select him in the format he's worst in and not the one he's taken wickets at sub 20 in for a season and a half straight. Also, why on earth are they persisting with this Santner at 7 model? It ****ed then over in the WC final, and bracewells been good enough in t20's to play as a bowler at7/8. FFS if your gonna play Shipley I feel like it'de be the game where you have Santner at 7 and no batting depth below 8.
You not need 9-11 batsman with 2 overs to go