• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My streak continues...been to 15 ODIs now, won 1, lost 14. Lost 13 in a row, last win January 1998.

SL played awesomely, Jayasuriya was superb and Vaas was unplayable in his first 5 overs. However, the dictionary definition for the word 'dire' from now on should read: New Zealand 73 all out.

_Ed_

With Andre Adams at seven and Shane Bond at eight, I think that must be the worst tail I've seen NZ have in an ODI in years.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Will we ever see Franklin or even Mills batting at 11 again?
Good point that actually. Bond was at 8 today ffs. Now, I know he can hold a bat, has a first-classs century etc etc etc, but that's just ridiculous. Must have been the longest tail in a long time for NZ. I suppose that's what happens when McCullum's opening - rather than simply rearranging the batting order we always play an extra bowler which leaves someone like Franklin (or Adams today) at 7, which is way too high. Vettori needs to be at 8 too.

_Ed_

Indeed, there was a stunned silence and then laughter around me when, at the fall of the sixth wicket, we heard "new batsman for New Zealand, Shane Bond."

_Ed_

Never would be my guess!

Haven't seen him bat higher than 10 in any form of cricket.

Blaze

Banned
I never thought that I would post again in the cricket web general forums but this has pushed me over the edge.

What the **** was that?

Bracewell is a cancer to New Zealand cricket.

Sri lanka would have beaten anyone today but that was woeful.

How many times does this happen? Deadset, season after season we capitualte to swing + pace. It wasn't til Bond came in did I see one of our guys play the swing with a straight bat. The rest of you aren't Brian Lara. You are not good enough to play swing off your pads. Play straight!

Wake up and smell the ****ing coffee Bracewell !!! Do something about it. Get the best batting coach you can find and start to give your batsmen the help they desperatly need.

We will not win the world cup I will bet my life on it. Our batting falls to pieces at least once in every big tournament which lets us down and on this evidence nothing will change in the West Indies.

Fleming - needs more batting. He is our premier batsmen and has to be in form for us to fire.

McCullum - frustrating. He is in good knick but can't push on. Give him til half way through the aus tour to prove himself up the top then put him back down the order.

Taylor - Has been really unlucky since his ton. Today proved he still has a lot to learn though. I hope like hell that he pushes on from here. God does NZ cricket need him or what.

Fulton - Not convinced. He is a pretty poor player imo.

Marshall - Awful. Seems to find new ways of getting out every time he comes to the crease. Might as well give Ryder or someone a chance instead of wasting a spot with this waste of space.

McMillan- Wouldn't make my starting XI but is a better option than Fulton, Marshall or Vincent imo.

Adams - Just an average cricketer. Can't get angry at him because the potential just isn't there. Back to domestic cricket son.

Bond - Isn't bowling particuarly good first spells imo. He will need to sort that out for Australia otherwise we will be chasing 350+. His death spells have been very good though imo.

Gillespie - will play a lot more cricket for NZ. Seems a good bowler. Time will tell.

Patel - Bowling well but really he is just a back up for Vettori. Vettori is a fine ODI bowler. He will generally bowl tidely between overs 22-42 and help create pressure for the quicks at the other end to take advantage of... well that's the theory, although some of our bowlers aren't good enough to execute.

Mason - Should never play again for NZ. Is pretty terrible tbh. As soon as the batsmen go after him he sprays it everywhere and has no answers. Has been pretty lucky this series with his wickets I reckon.

Franklin - He is bowling **** and wouldn't come close to making my ODI side atm. Bowling much like Mason except at least he has some ability. Needs to tighten up his areas and at this stage is showing no signs of doing so.

I fear for cricket in New Zealand. I honestly believe in 15 years time we could be the worst test side in the world. The standard of first class cricket is terrible and we have very few good young cricketers coming through. One can only imagine what things will be like in 30 years time.

I mean **** Martin Crowe was our last world class batsman (I guess you could make a case for Andrew Jones) and he made his debut in what 81?, 82?. It is just a joke. We seem unable to produce even one special talent.

We desperatly need a special cricketer to come through and draw the crowds back. It seems extraordinary that we have been unable to produce any world class batsmen or bowlers in the last 25 years. (Cairns maybe). We need someone to get the general public excited and enthused about cricket again in our wonderful country. Draw the crowds that we used to. Stand up against the best in the world, have a crack and measure up. Oh how I long for players like we had in the 1980's. What an era that was.

I mean honestly does anyone honestly think that we will ever beat Australia again in a Test Match. I don't. I honestly don't think I will live to see a NZ test win against Aus.

And what evidence is there to suggest that we ever will? Where are the positive signs about the future of NZ cricket.

People now say 'oh New Zealand... they don't play tests anymore' and leave it at that. That simply isn't even close to acceptable. Why aren't we playing an equal amount of cricket compared to everyone else in world cricket. It is ludicrus.

The ICC sheduling is a joke. Why should we be playing less cricket ( a lot less cricket ) than Bangla ****ing desh. How the hell are we supposed to maintain or even improve our status in the game with the amount of Test cricket we are feed. How is the game supposed to survive or, god forbid, GROW when we are treated like this.

I know we aren't that bad a ODI side but 'not that bad' simply isn't good enough.

I make no apologies for the longness of this post either.

Last edited:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Bracewell is really starting to tick me off now. I haven't seen him do anything good so far.

Anyone have a squad for tuesday?

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Welcome back, and great stuff Blaze. Pretty much agree with all of it.

I've also noticed that Bond's opening spells have been very unproductive lately. A year ago you could just about bet the house on him taking a couple of wickets in his first spell. Now, he's not swinging the ball as much and to the left-handers is bowling a lot of deliveries down leg side. Which leads me to a bit of a theory I've got about the way all our bowlers are operating. in the last few years, where we've been seeing Sri Lanka every year as well as playing sub-continental sides at the Champions Trophy, we keep on hearing about how they supposedly can't play short stuff. It's my belief that Bracewell and co have thus decided that we are going to bowl at the body of every Lankan batsman regardless of how good the pitch is or how many balls they pulled for four in the last game. I don't usually pay that much attention to such things, but if you looked at the wagon wheels of all the Lankan batsman this year I bet they would have a disproportionately high number of boundaries through square leg and singles in front of square. You don't usually see Bond err in line, he's normally very accurat.e and it makes me wonder if the management team are over-coaching our bowlers.

I sometimes get the feeling coaches and bowlers get carried away with bowling "into the wicket". They seem to concentrate a lot on banging the ball down into the pitch, but this is always to the detriment of the seam position. When the ball is new, swing is a far more reliable way of getting people out than banging the ball down and hoping for some seam movement. Look at Gillespie's bowling in Queenstown. 99% of his deliveries were banged into the pitch with a scrambled seam and he couldn't get a wicket. Then, suddenly, he bowled one ball with a perfect seam and the ball swung in a miles and bowled Jayawardene between bat and pad. That kind of thing should be happening more often.

Onto the batting: I also get the feeling we get carried away with batting "plans" and the like to certain bowlers. You often here batsman saying in interviews how they try to get a big stride in or get their pad outside off stump to reduce the likelihood of getting lbw decisions against you when you get hit on the pad. Surely the best way to not get out lbw is to not get hit on the pad in the first place, and the best way to do that is to not cast yourself in a front-foot-down-the-pitch position before the bowler (Vaas usually, though it's also happened in the past with Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Bracken etc) has released the ball. It's common sense.

JBH001

International Regular
Twas a pretty woeful batting exhibition from NZ - and a little bit unexpected too.

Still, had a pretty entertaining day in the terraces and made it in time to watch Jaya go berserk, Sanga play some exquisite shots, and Mahroof have a little cameo at the end.

Though the writing was on the wall, I stayed on to watch Murali bowl his 9 balls.

Still, a pretty disappointing effort by the NZ batsman, though there was some good bowling from Vaas and Malinga. I liked some the song selection though when NZ were collapsing and losing wickets 3 - 6. Some real crack ups like "dont worry, be happy" as yet another NZ wicket went down and a NZ batsman trudged back to the pavilion.

(All set up nicely from here, but SL does have a habit of losing these return games)

Last edited:

_Ed_

I liked some the song selection though when NZ were collapsing and losing wickets 3 - 6. Some real crack ups like "dont worry, be happy" as yet another NZ wickets went down and a NZ batsman trudged back to the pavilion.
I agree. And when they played Tequila, the announcer said "how about a couple of shots of tequila?". Would have gladly taken up that offer if there'd been some available to numb the pain.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It wasn't long ago I was quite optimistic about New Zealand's up and coming batsmen. Marshall was scoring runs, Lou Vincent had come back into the team and was looking fluent (though not always converting that into runs). Fulton and How's first matches showed promise, Taylor was pushing for a spot and James Marshall was hanging round too.

This is the group of players that really need to start performing and they haven't been for some time. Excusing Taylor (has a hundred and has been fairly unlucky) the rest have been utterly hopeless for this whole season with only one fifty between them I think. So we've been relying on Fleming and Astle at the top and the lower order to score pretty much all the runs in every game - Without any lower order to speak of, take out a rested Astle and put in Fleming without any match practice and we were set up to fail. This group of players are the ones who have to stand up - there's really no point looking back to domestic cricket for more candidates because the cupboard is practically bare. Like everyone else, I'm wondering what exactly Bracewell does to provide coaching for these players. Guys like Fulton look technically worse every time I see them and it must be difficult knowing what is expected of you with an idiot of a coach like Bracewell

It worries me that McMillan will now be seen as some sort of answer to our batting problems - he was lucky not to be out three times in that innnings and he looks just a mentally deficient as ever (just wait til he starts pulling out that famous reverse sweep again :-O ). He is welcome to prove me wrong but I'm certain he will fail miserably come the Commonwealth Series and/or World Cup.

I cringe to think of what will happen if Fleming and Astle retire after the World Cup.

Well done to Sri Lanka though. If Jayawardene and Atapattu can find a bit of form they will be a real force come the World Cup. If the World Cup pitches prove to be low and slow I think they can afford to play Vaas, Malinga and Murali as bowlers and make up the rest with slow bowling batsmen (Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Jayawardene... probably still would need Maharoof I guess)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've given up on the Black Caps, if we could get some friggin consistency then maybe they would be worth watching and supporting. As it is they are hopeless, and NZC wonder why more people don't go to the grounds.

Fiery

Banned
I've given up on the Black Caps, if we could get some friggin consistency then maybe they would be worth watching and supporting. As it is they are hopeless, and NZC wonder why more people don't go to the grounds.
As bad as they were, I bet you'll still watch the next game though.

Natman20

International Debutant
tbh I have always been nervous as soon as the blackcaps have come in to bat not knowing if they were going to do anything or fail. I think Styris could be a key in the world cup if he gets back in great condition. I think this rotation policy is rubbish. Andre Adams has looked rubbish and is a bowler not an all-rounder like the comentators try to exaggerate. That batting line-up was very weak. Not one single player bar Taylor had been in terribly great form and you could almost forsee an early dismissal for all of them.

Gillespie bowled well and deserves to replace Franklin in the ODI squad. Here is my tri series(bar the injured players on list)/world cup squad:

+Brendon McCullum
Nathan Astle
Stephen Fleming
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Craig McMillan
Jacob Oram
Daniel Vettori
Mark Gillespie
Kyle Mills
Shane Bond

12th: Jeetan Patel

Backups: Peter Fulton, Marshall twins, Mason, Franklin (with an injury to a keeper I would use Gareth Hopkins)