• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It's CDG, then Mitchell and now they're trying Macewell in this category. Blundell and Nicholls don't really fit here.
Ehh, nicholls averages 36 overall in the PS and in the mid 70's for the NZ A team doesn't he and was bought into the setup in his mid 20's. I don't know blundell's PS numbers but I'm pretty sure before he got bought into the setup in his late 20's in that 2017 period he wasn't averaging much above 32. Those two aren't as bang on the trend as CDG mitchell or macewell but there clearly closer to that then the Aussie philosophy of picking the exciting 19-20 year old and aiming to get 10-15 years out of them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nz have made a bit of a habit of picking older more experienced guys with decent overall records but very good recent form and turning them into test quality cricketers haven't they? Mitchell, blundell, nicholls, even bracewell spring to mind. CDG was also a case of it. I don't agree with the philosophy but the results have been decent overall, just hasn't payed off with bracewell or tickner yet.
Nicholls was about 24 when he debuted so was in-between age.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
but there clearly closer to that then the Aussie philosophy of picking the exciting 19-20 year old and aiming to get 10-15 years out of them.
How many young bats have Australia picked post Michael Clarke? I can think of the tragic late Phil Hughes, but who else? Warner and Khawaja I s'pose, Smith as a leggie, and Cameron Green (allrounder). How old was S Marsh when 1st picked?

England have been the team to pick youth in the last 5 years - although at one stage they were trying anyone who could hold a bat.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, as far as spin bowling strategies go, being so crap that the opposition spinners think there's no possible way they can get out to you and in doing so play stupid shots that get them out is certainly a novel strategy. Another big win for Gazball.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Just some brain dead batting from SL. Perhaps they are playing the long game of throwing away wickets so the Bracewells and Tickner stay in the team for the return series next year.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
How many young bats have Australia picked post Michael Clarke? I can think of the tragic late Phil Hughes, but who else? Warner and Khawaja I s'pose, Smith as a leggie, and Cameron Green (allrounder). How old was S Marsh when 1st picked?

England have been the team to pick youth in the last 5 years - although at one stage they were trying anyone who could hold a bat.
Green, Warner, Usman, smith, Pucovski, Hughes all jump to mind. Cummins was picked young, haze was 23 on debut, Pattinson was 21, starc was 22/23.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I forgot Will P. Agree about the bowlers.

We used to pick young players (Vettori 18, Southee 19, Kane 19/20, Guptill, McCullum, Taylor, Boult , Neesham and C Anderson all 20-23). It is just a recent thing to only pick older players.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

We used to pick young players (Vettori 18, Southee 19, Kane 19/20, Guptill, McCullum, Taylor, Boult , Neesham and C Anderson all 20-23). It is just a recent thing to only pick older players.
D Bracewall, Latham and Hamish Rutherford too

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Maybe Stead knows he's chopped liver after the World Cup and couldn't care less.

It is a lot less than ideal that we are going into a new cycle of WTC and WC (as much as I don't advocate for that being the sole focus) with very few - and none at all in Tests- 20 something year olds being fixtures in those sides. It's actually a bit nuts, especially when we aren't dominant.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Stead knows he's chopped liver after the World Cup and couldn't care less.

It is a lot less than ideal that we are going into a new cycle of WTC and WC (as much as I don't advocate for that being the sole focus) with very few - and none at all in Tests- 20 something year olds being fixtures in those sides. It's actually a bit nuts, especially when we aren't dominant.
Tbf, the old policy of chucking anyone vaguely talented in at 19/20/21 was more an act of desperation than a part of some farsighted selection policy. The team sucked and they were desperately casting around for someone/anyone who might change that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The bouncer at whatever pace you can bowl at has become such a legitimate weapon when you are going for a win and the opponents' runs do not matter.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
New Zealand really didn't need to enforce the follow on , they are still going to win but they have asked their bowlers to bowl 200 + overs without any rest ..Way too much for a team in such a dominant position..Hopefully they review their follow on stance .