• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
But to me, the alternatives for the game finishing are:

1. Game finishes because one side has won
2. Game finishes due to a weather intervention
3. Game finishes because the captains have shaken hands
4. Game finishes on the scheduled last ball (whether timed or overed)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ffs :laugh:

I'm not even going to bother.

What. ever.
Nope you nong brain. There was a scheduled end at certain time. The last over was whatever over happened to be in progress at the time.

You couldn't say at the start of the day's play that over x would be the last. The times were scheduled, the overs were not.

Meridio

International Regular
Trying not to let it ruin the moment, but getting a bit annoyed at the praise for Wagner at the end there. He should not have been there - if we were down to our final wicket, then yeah sure, but we still had a fully fit guy still to bat and it's just atrociously stupid cricket to instead send in the guy with a bust hamstring and bulging disc in his back. He had one job, which was to run. If Dickwella's throw had hit the stumps at the striker's end I think he would have been out and it would have cost the victory. Dumb.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Trying not to let it ruin the moment, but getting a bit annoyed at the praise for Wagner at the end there. He should not have been there - if we were down to our final wicket, then yeah sure, but we still had a fully fit guy still to bat and it's just atrociously stupid cricket to instead send in the guy with a bust hamstring and bulging disc in his back. He had one job, which was to run. If Dickwella's throw had hit the stumps at the striker's end I think he would have been out and it would have cost the victory. Dumb.
Agree honestly, sending the guy with a ****ed leg in when you need a quick single when tickner is available and unlikely to face a ball feels like a bad call. Worked out in the end but doesn't change the rationale being off.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southee's strategy was for Kane to get Wags on strike and for the great man to Wagnerball one for 6 to win it. I blame Williamson for hitting the 3rd to last ball for 4, and ruining the master plan.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
You find out life’s this game of inches. So is cricket. Because in either game, life or cricket, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite hit it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the ****in' difference between winning and losing! Between making the run' and being run out'!

I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin' is! The 22 yards in front of your face!!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The counter argument is if you need one of the two of them to hit a 4 off the last ball, you'd much rather it be Wagner than Tickner.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't ever recall the WK hitting the stumps like so on a normal take but the batter having made their ground.
Hmmm. Might be worth looking at this. It happens a lot, but is it because it's a hard task for the keeper to pull off - to throw down the stumps from set back? If so, this should be something T20 keepers practice for.

In the normal course of the game, I can absolutely see this being hard, but in these circumstances, the non-striker needs to run and ignore the risk of being run out at the non-strikers end. Should probably be running in with the bowler to be at top speed as soon as the ball is released to maximise the chance of making his ground.

Meridio

International Regular
The counter argument is if you need one of the two of them to hit a 4 off the last ball, you'd much rather it be Wagner than Tickner.
Sure, but again bulging disc plus torn hamstring not exactly conducive to hitting boundaries either. And with only 3 balls left in the game it was always going to be Williamson facing all of them (unless he'd been run out coming back for two)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wagner with the winning wicket in Wellington.

Then after 0* off 0 when severely injured gets the winning run in Chch.
He's a champion, but should hang his boots up imho. Fantastic career.
Wagner's personal cricketing deity arranged the second test v England as the perfect go-out-on-a-high match to end a glittering career.

But Wagner, being Wagner, didn't take the hint. So to really press the point, the gods of cricket smote him with two injuries and still gave him a great send-off on-field as the winning run was hit. Watch this space to see if Neil gets it this time.

Jezroy

State Captain
gutted for SL

but this is 2 test wins in a row now, say what you will

timothy southern is truly up n runnin
Yeah but it’s two very very tight test wins, where we carry passengers in the team, worry about our bowling stocks, and what the future looks like when we don’t get to see you get new/younger talent tried.

And you would REALLY expect NZ to beat SL in NZ nine times out of ten (if not more).