• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

SeamUp

International Coach
Wiaan Mulder back for the Lions today. In for Nicky van den Bergh (poor bloke). Think with numbers North West would be a certainty if we increased the teams let alone the facilities. But Paarl and East London would be problematic.

Was looking at MODC performances for the young players. It is mad that Mulder still hasn't got a MODC 50 but he has one for SA A . When he was in matric he was batting too low and they carried that on too long and then injuries/SA selection stopped him playing MODC despite him being around for a while now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wiaan Mulder back for the Lions today. In for Nicky van den Bergh (poor bloke). Think with numbers North West would be a certainty if we increased the teams let alone the facilities. But Paarl and East London would be problematic.

Was looking at MODC performances for the young players. It is mad that Mulder still hasn't got a MODC 50 but he has one for SA A . When he was in matric he was batting too low and they carried that on too long and then injuries/SA selection stopped him playing MODC despite him being around for a while now.
That is tough on van den Bergh has consistently been one of their best players all season.

SeamUp

International Coach
That is tough on van den Bergh has consistently been one of their best players all season.
I heard that despite him being a professional cricketer now he still kept his job outside cricket. Not sure what it is though. But not many do that anymore.

Probably better in 4-day cricket but like you say done well in all formats.

SeamUp

International Coach
Reeza Hendricks out for a duck.

Just looking back now on that group that went to Malaysia for the u19 CWC in 2008 and lost the final to Kohli's India.

JJ Smuts
Pieter Malan
Rilee Rossouw
Reeza Hendricks
Jono Vandiar
Yaseen Vallie
Obus Pienaar
Wayne Parnell
SA Engelbrecht
Brad Barnes
Mangi Mosehle
Matt Arnold

Such high hopes that faded away. Smuts and Malan now carrying the flag. Vandiar and Parnell were meant to be in the Proteas team within 18 months after returning.

Guys like Miller and players of similar ages like Rudi Second missed out. Think Miller was close to selection and both him and Second were in the SA Colts side.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Hoping to catch the game a little later when I get home.

Actually haven't seen Jansen bowl a spell to get a feel about his quality yet. So probably what I want to see the most.

SeamUp

International Coach
2 quick wickets.
Rickelton 62 (68)
D.Hendricks 48 (79) can't afford these types of innings in 50-over cricket anymore.

SeamUp

International Coach
Jansen just comes back for his 2nd spell and 2nd ball a great line and length and gets the edge to remove Mulder for 23.

Pitches about middle and leg and got Mulder coming forward to drive down the ground and goes across him.

He is a lanky bugger. Skin and bone. He really is.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah. Jansen never looks like he is striving so he will never be mid to high 140s but his speed whilst not great looks effortless and he puts in good areas from about 10 foot.

Can see why the rushed him in to SA A ahead of Burger for instance. Burger is more erratic in his lines and lengths even if a little quicker.

Lets see what Delano Potgieter is about. Think there is some under-rated potential with him.

EDIT : Which has ended very quickly. Potgieter out.

If Knights win here then they pushing Warriors down to the wire. Titans also still in the mix.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Marco is an absolute bean-pole... somebody give the kid some milk and meat! Only 19? So an increase in speed still possible.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Another rained out televised match! Hopefully the game today gets completed, without rain, power cuts or nuclear melt down!

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I called Jansen the saffer Bruce Reid a while back, these last few posts only reinforce that opinion. Similar height, build, pace probably too

SeamUp

International Coach
Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've never watched Galiem play - is he someone we could look at as a long-term bowling AR in LO cricket or is he a domestic bully type?

SeamUp

International Coach
I've never watched Galiem play - is he someone we could look at as a long-term bowling AR in LO cricket or is he a domestic bully type?
Think he may be one for a bit down the line when he matures.

He isn't very quick and probably not consistent enough with the bat yet.

I think the problem is we expected his batting to be his main discipline but he seems to be getting better results with the ball in professional cricket and batting at 7. His bowling isn't threatening enough to be considered a bowling all-rounder either so at the moment he is a sort of mid 20s with the bat average and mid 30s with the ball average.

For example I would say Jason Smith and Delano Potgieter keep their spots because of their batting. Their little medium pacers are a bonus.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just watched the Hamza and Bird dismissals... both terrible in different ways.
Just saw them now too. Beaten by Galiem's bit of shape but both do look horrible.

Galiem should have got Pieter Malan to caught first slip due to that shape but for some reason they have a 1.5/2nd slip instead of a first slip.