• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Also SeamUp Corne Dry is playing at Carlton CC (Edinburgh). Remember him from 2012 U19 WC - looked a real prospect

SeamUp

International Coach
Also SeamUp Corne Dry is playing at Carlton CC (Edinburgh). Remember him from 2012 U19 WC - looked a real prospect
Think he has played in Ireland before too. Probably just didn;t kick on. High 120s away swingers.

Other players over in UK with Kleinveldt, Linde and Dry above that I know (more well known better players as there are loads of others)

David Bedingham (Plumtree) - in Notts
Keegan Petersen (Stroud) - in Gloucestershire
Ryan Rickelton (West Bridgfordians) - in Notts
Eddie Moore (Rochdale) - Lancs
Marco Marais (Brewers)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
First SA u19 v Pakistan u19 game

Bird, Louw*, Beaufort, Parsons, Cotani (wk)*, Minnaar*, Copeland*, van Vuuren*, Coetzee, Cloete, Ntanzi

* debut

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...9s-1st-youth-odi-pak-u19-in-south-africa-2019

SA Emerging starts next Saturday. Just about keeping interest with SA cricket at the moment.
Another pathetic run chase from an SA team.

Parsons left stranded on 57 off 64 & add in his 10 2-24 with spin and his tour to India earlier this year and he is legit serious potential.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Another pathetic run chase from an SA team.

Parsons left stranded on 57 off 64 & add in his 10 2-24 with spin and his tour to India earlier this year and he is legit serious potential.
Saw that. What sort of pitches they playing on? I`m guessing slow from the score cards. Nice to see more all-rounders coming through. How is Coetzee 4th choice bowler?

SeamUp

International Coach
Saw that. What sort of pitches they playing on? I`m guessing slow from the score cards. Nice to see more all-rounders coming through. How is Coetzee 4th choice bowler?
In the winter even if in Dubran it probably is slow. You see it when the SA A side play games at home this time of year too.

I also thought it odd. He was just opening the bowling for the Knights so not sure if a niggle has played role or not but then he wouldn't be bowling.

MrPrez

International Debutant
How good is Parson's bowling? Is he a genuine attacking option who could be a long-term test spinner for us, or is he more just a useful all-rounder type?

SeamUp

International Coach
How good is Parson's bowling? Is he a genuine attacking option who could be a long-term test spinner for us, or is he more just a useful all-rounder type?
Got to see him still. But I've heard serious ability by many people in the know in SA Junior cricket.

Definitely batsmen first and he seems to be adaptable too conditions which is brilliant considering he has learnt his cricket in Joburg/Benoni.

Robin Peterseon who works with the SA u19 team seems to really rate his potential with the ball. I think it will be a bonus of he is good enough to be a test spinner (batting will decide) but in a limited overs side it sounds like he could be gold.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Got to see him still. But I've heard serious ability by many people in the know in SA Junior cricket.

Definitely batsmen first and he seems to be adaptable too conditions which is brilliant considering he has learnt his cricket in Joburg/Benoni.

Robin Peterseon who works with the SA u19 team seems to really rate his potential with the ball. I think it will be a bonus of he is good enough to be a test spinner (batting will decide) but in a limited overs side it sounds like he could be gold.
If he could establish himself as a top 6 batsman and bowl solid spin he could be a tremendous asset, potentially even allowing us to run a four-prong pace attack in SA.

Not sure if I'm being anecdotal but I wonder if he won't go the Parnell route (hopefully performing much better though) and focus more on his bowling despite doing both at u19 level. I think if he's a genuine test-quality spinner it might be more important to focus on that, even if he's a batting AR for now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I'm being anecdotal but I wonder if he won't go the Parnell route (hopefully performing much better though) and focus more on his bowling despite doing both at u19 level. I think if he's a genuine test-quality spinner it might be more important to focus on that, even if he's a batting AR for now.
Disagree with this, we have other spinner potentials, few batting all-rounder options. Top quality batting all-rounders are rare, so if he can become that along with Mulder it would be a boon to the future SA team.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Disagree with this, we have other spinner potentials, few batting all-rounder options. Top quality batting all-rounders are rare, so if he can become that along with Mulder it would be a boon to the future SA team.
What other spinner potentials do we really have for Test cricket in particular?

A batting AR for SA would likely bat at 6 - be it Mulder or Parsons - of course it's possible they both make it as batsmen alone. But how likely is that really?

Could certainly take a slight batting hit for a genuine bating AR at 6, but not at 5 too.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What other spinner potentials do we really have for Test cricket in particular?

A batting AR for SA would likely bat at 6 - be it Mulder or Parsons - of course it's possible they both make it as batsmen alone. But how likely is that really?

Could certainly take a slight batting hit for a genuine bating AR at 6, but not at 5 too.
Bjorn Fortuin in particular.... but it not like Maharaj is old or anything? All I`m saying is the likelihood of us getting a batting all-rounder is rare compared to a quality spinner. I think it is better to nurture a potential batting all-rounder than a potential spinner.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Bjorn Fortuin in particular.... but it not like Maharaj is old or anything? All I`m saying is the likelihood of us getting a batting all-rounder is rare compared to a quality spinner. I think it is better to nurture a potential batting all-rounder than a potential spinner.
Maharaj may not be old, but Parsons is 11 years younger than him. So it's hardly like their careers will overlap much.

Also, I disagree completely when it comes to a batting all-rounder vs spinner in terms of which is easier for SA. Guys like McMillan, Klusener, Adrian Kuiper - and of course Kallis. Beyond that, the value of a top-class spinner will be significantly higher than a batting AR imo - talking Tests here obviously.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Also, I disagree completely when it comes to a batting all-rounder vs spinner in terms of which is easier for SA. Guys like McMillan, Klusener, Adrian Kuiper - and of course Kallis. Beyond that, the value of a top-class spinner will be significantly higher than a batting AR imo - talking Tests here obviously.
Guys like Kallis and MacMillan are rare... I`m talking about guys who can avg 40+ and bowl. Not many do that, just avg 40+ can be difficult enough in Test cricket. We consistently have spin bowlers coming through now. Little or no batting all-rounder come through, this is not just true of SA it is world wide.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Guys like Kallis and MacMillan are rare... I`m talking about guys who can avg 40+ and bowl. Not many do that, just avg 40+ can be difficult enough in Test cricket. We consistently have spin bowlers coming through now. Little or no batting all-rounder come through, this is not just true of SA it is world wide.
I just don't think it's that important to have anyone in Test cricket who does that. It's a luxury, whereas a good spinner is a necessity.

Besides, I'd certainly argue against us consistently having spinners coming through - decent ones that is. Maharaj is solid but I see Fortuin as more of a limited-overs prospect.

SeamUp

International Coach
Everything that made us successful is falling apart for me. Coaching at school level - are the right people getting the jobs or do we just not have enough of them full stop. So our SA U19 side isn't as successful since Jennings. Is that down to the talent or the coaching at junior level up ?

Interesting chatter amongst former Proteas on twitter. Rightly seething and yes some of them might have not won the world cup but they certainly didn't perform like the current set up has performed for quite some time now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Everything that made us successful is falling apart for me. Coaching at school level - are the right people getting the jobs or do we just not have enough of them full stop. So our SA U19 side isn't as successful since Jennings. Is that down to the talent or the coaching at junior level up ?

Interesting chatter amongst former Proteas on twitter. Rightly seething and yes some of them might have not won the world cup but they certainly didn't perform like the current set up has performed for quite some time now.
I think there is a coaching and administrative problem at lower levels. I think the talent is there. I have said before, I think we do not have enough quality coaches. Practically, if you are picking some players for development purposes who have talent but have not been coached properly because they do not come from one of the dozen schools that generally provide the talent pool then they going to be behind the curve. From everything I've read and heard it is easier to get the bowling right compared to batting when they are 18+. And that is clearly seen in the distribution of players of colour, where the black batsmen struggle but the black bowlers are still able to be developed. So this is a failure of CSA not recognising these potential problems and dealing with them earlier, whether they can correct or are correcting we will have to see. SA will still be a force we have the talent, I think there is enough skill at coaching and development near the top level to help counteract these problems but it is something to be sorted.

Will politics get involved again, who knows? But let us not fool ourselves this is not unique to cricket... its not even unique to sports problems across SA. It is a problem across SA, in all levels of business and society that is not going to go away any time soon.