• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Trying to think who else they have contracted beyond those 14. Obus Pienaar , Mbulelo Budaza, Shadley van Dchalkwyk so only Pienaar as a batting option.

But I mean supposedly powers that be are saying Shaun von Berg has to play. Not sure how you don't fit Gous in if you need a keeper. Hopefully they will change their mind before the toss.

Marco does seem to have genuine ability. Think those guys are at least 1 position high.
This is what always confuses me... we seem to have to many quality players not playing franchise cricket, but then you get a team looking like that? Basically playing 6 bowlers? I wish that there was more of an exchange program between the franchises.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Not necassarily.

Take HD Ackerman. Quality player. Domestic dominator and could play all around the country.

Got to test level and faced Murali and his test career ended before it could really get going.

International bowlers are just so much better, faster, accurate, skillful and it is non-stop and relentless.

Think it is a big mental game too and possibly where some players fail. If Elgar and de Bruyn were in the same domestic team I bet Theunis would be as consistent as him.
You're probably right, but I find it somewhat disappointing that this is much more prevalent with batsmen than bowlers. We have a penchant for developing talented batsmen who don't have the mental game for Test cricket, whereas our bowlers tend to assimilate pretty quickly.

I know batting is a more mentally-tough proposition, but the disparity is plain to see. We have a history of producing talented batsmen who feel like they never fulfilled their full potential - even those who do play regularly at Test cricket level. I'd put McKenzie, Duminy, and even Gibbs in that boat. Certainly I'd say that most of our batsmen outside of your Kallis/Smith/Amla/Kirstens (who have been our best batsmen by no coincidence) are better looking/more talented than they are effective.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule - see Ashwell Prince and Elgar. But as a general rule, our batting line-ups always feel like there's not full use of the talent on offer.

This is why I'm worried about Breetzke in particular - He has the talent to be elite, but I'm worried he doesn't fulfill it and "only" becomes a decent Test batsman.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think this is a SA related problem. Many talented batsmen don't make it at test level because of the mental side. I also think that we have been lucky with our fast bowlers. Most teams would be happy with our second string bowlers, but our top quality as been exceptional. That is not normal. 1-2 every ten years is normal. Not 4-5. I mean Donald, Steyn, Pollock, Philander, Rabada impressive list.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rivash Gobind has stepped down as Warriors coach to join Klusener's coaching staff with Afghanistan.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ngam a possibility for the job or not? I know he has been doing a bit of bowling coaching for the Warriors
He probably comes into the equation.

Ex-Warriors coaches Malibongwe Maketa and Piet Botha might also be possibilities. Both worked with the SA A squad recently in India.

SeamUp

International Coach
Outside the Proteas.

Surprises are Henry Davids still in a 4-day squad. And again Tabraiz Shamsi doesn't make the Titans 4-day squad when available. Not so surprising but Kuhn/Morris also not playing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Here we go. Start of the 4-day domestic season.

Knights v Dolphins in Kimberley
Lions v Cobras at Potch
Titans v Dolphins at Centurion

SeamUp

International Coach
Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Teams

Knights : Mokoena (32), van Tonder (21), Petersen (26), van Biljon (c) (33), Kuger (24), Fortuin (wk) (24), von Berg (33), Jansen (19), Coetzee (19), Ntuli (24), Budaza (26)

Warriors : Breetzke (21), Moore (26), Smuts (c) (31), Vallie (30), Qeshile (20), Second (wk) (30), Nyaku (25) , de Klerk (20), Birch (34), Sipamla (21), Stuurman (27)

Lions : Rickelton (23), D.Hendricks (29), R.Hendricks (30), Rapulana (28), Mulder (21) , van den Bergh (c) (wk) (30), D.Pretorius (30), Fortuin (25), Phangiso (35), Siboto (32), B.Hendricks (29)

Cobras : P.Malan (c) (30), J.Malan (23), M.Kleinveldt (30), Smith (25), Verreynne (wk) (22), Mgijima (31), Khomari (28), Linde (28), Paterson (30) , Burger (24), Bokako (26)

Titans : Agathangelou (30), de Zorzi (22), Brand (23), Davids (39), Behardien (36), Thomson (31), Galiem (22) , Herman (wk) (22) , Dala (30), , Moreki (26) , Piedt (27)

Dolphins : van Jaarsveld (34), Roelofsen (wk) (23), Ackerman (23), Chetty (28), Zondo (c)(29), Phehlukwayo (23), Makhanya (23), E.Bosch (21), Subrayen (26), Dupavillon (25), Cele (22)

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No Bedingham for Cobras due to balance is disappointing.
How does that make sense.? I mean how does a player like Kleinveldt in before Bedingham. I don't see how that effects balance. Not like there is not a few allrounders in the team?

SeamUp

International Coach
How does that make sense.? I mean how does a player like Kleinveldt in before Bedingham. I don't see how that effects balance. Not like there is not a few allrounders in the team?
They wanted to play both Linde and Burger in their bowling. You add in the Malan's and Verreynne and there is your 5 white players.

Bang average club cricketers like Kleinveldt, Mgijima and Khomari are playing instead of him. Enough to make the player himself fume. He is also ahead of Smith.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Any ********* of this? Two cameras behind the bowlers would be wonderful even. I hate that I can't watch.

*apparently river is a bad word even when not actually bad.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bang average club cricketers like Kleinveldt, Mgijima and Khomari are playing instead of him. Enough to make the player himself fume. He is also ahead of Smith.
This is when you feel people are just playing lip service rather than trying. How does M. Kleinveldt born and grew up in England count as a quota player. It is so difficult to believe that their is no better provincial players in SA of colour?

SeamUp

International Coach
Any ********* of this? Two cameras behind the bowlers would be wonderful even. I hate that I can't watch.

*apparently river is a bad word even when not actually bad.
Just looked on Pitch Vision and nope.

Can't believe CSA can't get this sorted for us.

SeamUp

International Coach
This is when you feel people are just playing lip service rather than trying. How does M. Kleinveldt born and grew up in England count as a quota player. It is so difficult to believe that their is no better provincial players in SA of colour?
Tbf Matthew is Rory's cousin. But he is bang average.

Western Province cricket is not producing it's own players as much as they should do. Considering they got one of the more consistent records in Coke Weeks.

But until the recent batch of Hamza, Bedingham, Verryenne and Smith it has been really poor. Bedingham had to go to Stellies and Boland to get on track.

The provincial team has struggled for a long time which shows the lack of depth and in the Africa T20 cup they keep getting humiliated.

Hence they have to bring in players like Vilas, Kemp, Parnell, Robbie P and more recently the Malan's, Burger , Bokako etc

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Western Province cricket is not producing it's own players as much as they should do. Considering they got one of the more consistent records in Coke Weeks.
I always felt that the WP cricket was one of the stronger systems... which shows how perception fails so badly.

Dendarii

International Debutant
This is when you feel people are just playing lip service rather than trying. How does M. Kleinveldt born and grew up in England count as a quota player.
The same way that Imran Tahir and Beast Mtawarira count towards quotas.