• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa T20 Tour of India 2022

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
On a more positive note, Miller doing so well recently is great. Hopefully he carries that for SA for a few more years, it is great to see a man that always had so much talent doing consistently well at last.

Bahseph

State Captain
There was a FC season where Parnell was batting really well... so they put him at 3 for SA... I don't remember that being a great long term solution.

Sorry I`m just sick of the picking older journeyman because of 'experience' and not letting the talented youngsters in SA try shine. Yeah, they may not do better, may even do worse but at least we could get some decent cricket into their legs and give them opportunity.
I'd like Mulder in the ODI and Test sides but I'm perfectly fine with the allrounder role in the T20 team going to Hulk. Unlike Parnell his batting is made for T20 hitting,and he has been very good with the ball for SA since the T20 WC. I'd champion Linde but with Maharaj and Shamsi around I can't see him playing.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I'm perfectly fine with the allrounder role in the T20 team going to Hulk.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with him either, and he did make his international debut six years ago (at what wasn't an unreasonable age). But Parnell has come into the side out of the cold and there's really no justification for him playing ahead of a younger player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We really should not be loading up with so many keepers in the side. And our lack of bowling options will hurt us if we keep playing wicket keepers.

Pant should not be in the LO sides. I wont mind Rahul as the keeper but apparently now even with the LSG he is not keeping wickets anymore. His best role is as a #5 in ODIs and I am not sure of the value he brings to a top 3 which already has Rohit and Virat. Ideally we would need to play only one of those but they are ATG LO batsmen there. If we feel DK is the finisher for us, we need to make him our keeper as well and find others who can bat in the other spots.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dropping Stubbs when he never even got chance to bat last time... I know there is 5 matches in this series but still just sends the wrong message to the younger generation. It is probably the SA predetermined team composition for each match or something like...

Dendarii

International Debutant
It is probably the SA predetermined team composition for each match
It looks like they're set on having six bowling options. So either Stubbs or Miller had to make way for Klaasen, and there was no way they were dropping Miller after the last match.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It looks like they're set on having six bowling options. So either Stubbs or Miller had to make way for Klaasen, and there was no way they were dropping Miller after the last match.
I don’t understand it... I just hope they giving enough rope for Pretorius and Parnell to hang themselves.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are India resting so many players going into a world cup, they need to build a team unit surely
Most of their top players played in a T20 tournament that spanned 2 months. They need the rest and a break. I am just assuming. Some of them may need to take this opportunity to work on their respective games in the nets.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pooran was bowling earlier today, now it's Shreyas Iyer to complete the day for the uncommon (part part-timers) bowlers to bowl.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pooran was bowling earlier today, now it's Shreyas Iyer to complete the day for the uncommon (part part-timers) bowlers to bowl.
Its too bad none of our other wicket keepers can bowl, like Pooran did.

Its very clear what our issues are here. Axar, as good as he can be, is no Jadeja with the bat and therefore a spot higher at 7. Quite a few of the IPL sides this year were getting away with lots of #8s batting 7 for them. RR even had Boult at 8 :laugh: But at this level, you gotta figure out what can work and I really dont think we should be doing any of the following, and yet for some reason so far this series, we are doing all 3.

• Play more than 1 wicket keeper
  • Play more than 1 proper tailender
  • Play less than 2 batsmen who can bowl

Ideally for the next game, we should have Hooda for Chahal and then the side will at least have some semblance of balance. Maybe Arshdeep for Avesh too even though Avesh was ok this game. My realistic best T20 side for India, given the fact that Rohit and Virat cant be dropped, will be -

Rohit
Ishan / Rahul
Virat
SKY
Hardik
DK
Jaddu
Harshal / Lord
Bhuvi / D Chahar
Bumrah
Chahal / Kuldeep / Bishnoi

For the slots with options, I would actually start with Rahul, Lord, Bhuvi and Bishnoi. I can sense that Dravid and Co. just want the template to be the same and perhaps from their PoV, they have Rutu, Ishan and Shreyas instead of Rohit, Rahul and Virat, and Axar for Jaddu and maybe Avesh for Bumrah. So they perhaps think this will be the combination or template but I am not sure it is gonna work out, esp. coz we seem to be heading into the same issues we always have - no real part time bowling option among the batsmen and struggle to get wickets with the new ball and in the middle overs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Its too bad none of our other wicket keepers can bowl, like Pooran did.

Its very clear what our issues are here. Axar, as good as he can be, is no Jadeja with the bat and therefore a spot higher at 7. Quite a few of the IPL sides this year were getting away with lots of #8s batting 7 for them. RR even had Boult at 8 :laugh: But at this level, you gotta figure out what can work and I really dont think we should be doing any of the following, and yet for some reason so far this series, we are doing all 3.

• Play more than 1 wicket keeper
  • Play more than 1 proper tailender
  • Play less than 2 batsmen who can bowl

Ideally for the next game, we should have Hooda for Chahal and then the side will at least have some semblance of balance. Maybe Arshdeep for Avesh too even though Avesh was ok this game. My realistic best T20 side for India, given the fact that Rohit and Virat cant be dropped, will be -

Rohit
Ishan / Rahul
Virat
SKY
Hardik
DK
Jaddu
Harshal / Lord
Bhuvi / D Chahar
Bumrah
Chahal / Kuldeep / Bishnoi

For the slots with options, I would actually start with Rahul, Lord, Bhuvi and Bishnoi. I can sense that Dravid and Co. just want the template to be the same and perhaps from their PoV, they have Rutu, Ishan and Shreyas instead of Rohit, Rahul and Virat, and Axar for Jaddu and maybe Avesh for Bumrah. So they perhaps think this will be the combination or template but I am not sure it is gonna work out, esp. coz we seem to be heading into the same issues we always have - no real part time bowling option among the batsmen and struggle to get wickets with the new ball and in the middle overs.
Agreed with all of the above. Till DK retires from the format, I believe DK should be our T20 keeper.

2 out of Rohit/Rahul/Kohli
SKY - at 3 to make up for all the balls that the above guys wasted
Kishan/Hooda - Should be just bashers from hereon till 8
Hardik
DK
Jadeja/Venky Iyer
Harshal
Bhuvi
Bumrah
Chahal

cnerd123

likes this
Number 7/8 is such an overrated batting position in T20s. If your top 6 does their job, they will never bat. If your top 6 fails, there is very little they can do to save you. The % of games that runs from 7/8 would win you is so insignificant that to sacrifice bowling quality to beef up batting there will cost you more games than it will win. Mocking RR for a long tail is dumb when you consider they made it to the Final and were literally the 2nd best team in the tournament.

Nothing wrong with a lot of wicketkeeping options either. It's no different to a batsman who can't bowl. As long as they are not a liability in the field then it does not really matter. Ishan Kishan took a blinder of a catch in the outfield in the first game and DK has always been an excellent fielder. The fact that they can then also take the gloves if an injury happens to Pant is a plus point, not a negative.

SA are a good T20 outfit and India have picked the right players, just haven't found a combination that works. IPL form doesn't always translate perfectly over to T20Is, as we're seeing with Chahal and Kishan. Something about being in a different environment can impact a player's performance.

I think our squad is set to get worse by the time the WT20 rolls around because we'll have Rohit and Kohli in the Top 3. Our bowling will sort itself out by then I feel. We have a lot of great options, and Rohit's a better captain than Pant and should get more out of them. But the batting will be quite terrible if we've got Lokesh/Rohit/Kohli as the Top 3. I'd actually keep Lokesh, but open with Kishan and bat someone like SKY or Shreyas at 3. Middle order with Pant/Hardik/DK/Jaddu looks good, would have liked to see Sanju (yes another keeper) and Hooda get a go in there as well. Playing both Hardik and Jaddu let's us bat till 7 with 6 bowlers too.

From a bowling POV - yea they need to get Bishnoi, Mohsin Khan, Arshdeep and even Umran Malik some game time soon. Let's see what they can produce at this level. A Ravi Ashwin recall may not be out of the question as well, could work quite nicely as a floater in our batting lineup too.

Last edited: