• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

MrPrez

International Debutant
I am not sure I agree that he is a good enough batsmen to bat at 7 in test match cricket.... but he certainly is not good enough to bowl in tests match cricket based off current performances. He appears to be a very good FC cricketing all-rounder.
7 is usually the position batted by the keeper, so low-mid 30s is passable. I think he could hold an average of 30+ in Tests.

SeamUp

International Coach
The really poor part of this, is if you accept that an all-rounder was required then why not pick Mulder? He is quality, and recently did the job with both bat and ball in the 'A' series. Then suddenly the selection is not poor and the whole makeup of the team makes sense.
It is all about what is acceptable for SA cricket at this moment ?

I think we going to struggle here in India big time and it isn't ok. SA teams have never had that attitude.

But for me I hope Mulder gets more time in the middle (bats 4/5 for the Lions) and scores runs and prepares for the England home series.

If England at home goes badly. A lot of questions will be asked of where SA cricket is going.

MrPrez

International Debutant
The really poor part of this, is if you accept that an all-rounder was required then why not pick Mulder? He is quality, and recently did the job with both bat and ball in the 'A' series. Then suddenly the selection is not poor and the whole makeup of the team makes sense.
It's exclusively because Senuran is a spin bowler. Even the selectors have to agree that Mulder > Senuran.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Having the A series before the test series made sense, especially with members of the test squad playing for the A side, but ideally it should have been used as something of a trial for the test series. Instead they picked the test squad ahead of the A series, and decisions like the the inclusion of Muthusamy over Mulder look foolish in hindsight.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If he comes in for say Senuran, do they run into quota problems?
No, because the quota for the national team is an average of all matches over an entire season. And even if quotas were a concern they could make the additional change of bringing Hamza in for De Bruyn which would keep the numbers the same.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Having the A series before the test series made sense, especially with members of the test squad playing for the A side, but ideally it should have been used as something of a trial for the test series. Instead they picked the test squad ahead of the A series, and decisions like the the inclusion of Muthusamy over Mulder look foolish in hindsight.
This could have been corrected, why add Rassie to a squad were the plan was to go with one less batsmen, when you could have added an all rounder (who is a quality batsmen) that was performing.

I can understand what SeamUp is saying regards wanting to give Mulder more time at FC. But ultimately quality tells and it could really only benefit everybody for Mulder to play and get experience as long as no heavy expectations was put on him.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
7 is usually the position batted by the keeper, so low-mid 30s is passable. I think he could hold an average of 30+ in Tests.
Not even sure about that.

2015/16
135 @ 45.00
* Savage (64.00), Vandiar (56.50), Smit (51.09), Khan (50.75) , M.van Wyk (49.33), van Jaarsveld (49.23) all averaged more than him at the Dolphins.

2016/17
380 runs @ 34.54
* Zondo (67.27), Savage (59.50), van Jaarsveld (53.26), Smit (50.30), D. van Wyk (41.87), Maharaj (35.60) all averaged more than him..

2017/18 (The run filled season)
582 @ 38.80
* Chetty (81.20), Vilas (66.72), van Jaarsveld (52.82), Frylinck (47.83), Erwee (39.33) all averaged more than him.

2018/19
286 @ 23.83
* Ackerman (64.00), van Jaarsveld (48.07), Erlank (38.25), Savage (37.00), Phehlukwayo (33.50), Zondo (32.85), Erwee (32.00), Makhanya (31.43), Vilas (27.75), Chetty (26.35), Roelofsen (25.00), Oakes (24.50) all averaged more than him.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Also, couldn't Markram do the Muthusamy role with the ball?
Yes probably... if you mean go for runs on a flat pitch :ph34r:.

In this mind, I can understand Muthusamys selection if Mulder was not around and they wanted the extra bowling option. The real disappointment, which many of us saw coming, has been Piedt's dire performance. Not just with lack of wickets but going for to many. If you are a second spinning option you at least need to keep it tight, else we may as well have just brought Shamsi along.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
It looks like india will be at the top of table in WTC, don't think theres any challenge to that.
Australia will probably be the second team.

Will be a nice scene to see poms sitting in lords watching there two rivals compete for the championship.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Piedt was always going to go for plenty if he didn't take wickets. I like him but that's going to be his thing at this level; discount Jason Krejza.

That's why Faf was so determined to select five bowlers IMO.

Dendarii

International Debutant
This could have been corrected, why add Rassie to a squad were the plan was to go with one less batsmen, when you could have added an all rounder (who is a quality batsmen) that was performing.
The difference there is that Van Der Dussen is presumably there as a back up batsman. To call Mulder up to the squad and put him straight into the test side would be admitting that they made a mistake with the initial selection, which they're probably reluctant to do.

I can understand what SeamUp is saying regards wanting to give Mulder more time at FC. But ultimately quality tells and it could really only benefit everybody for Mulder to play and get experience as long as no heavy expectations was put on him.
I understand not pushing a player too early, but Mulder made his first-class debut three years ago (and it was for the Lions, so "proper" first-class), so is much more first-class experience really necessary?
It seems obvious to all of us that he's going to add a great deal of value to the side, so it's difficult for me to understand the selectors' thinking, unless it's pick a spin all-rounder in India and a seam all-rounder at home.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The difference there is that Van Der Dussen is presumably there as a back up batsman. To call Mulder up to the squad and put him straight into the test side would be admitting that they made a mistake with the initial selection, which they're probably reluctant to do.
Which does not bode well... I would rather they make a mistake and honestly try fix it than keep on going down the wrong path.

I understand not pushing a player too early, but Mulder made his first-class debut three years ago (and it was for the Lions, so "proper" first-class), so is much more first-class experience really necessary?
It seems obvious to all of us that he's going to add a great deal of value to the side, so it's difficult for me to understand the selectors' thinking, unless it's pick a spin all-rounder in India and a seam all-rounder at home.
This is clearly the feeling, it is wrong, but it seems that Mulder is probably going to be selected for the English tour.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm properly biased towards Muthusamy because we played representative soccer together and family friends etc but I do agree with the sentiment towards his selection. I just think Piedt being off color today amplified the iffy role he has been given.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing I underestimate, as a club cricketer, is the impact of net form. Elite players will be netting every day and it obviously plays a major part in the selection process - and so certain players may play on a 'gut' feel.

Thoughts?

SeamUp

International Coach

My understanding of Rassie's selection is that he is a non-playing reserve. Getting him comfortable in the set-up. The thing that stands out to me about that is they worried about theunis and Zubayr failing and they letting him have time around the group in case that happens before the England series.

I agree. I wouldn't be against Mulder playing. I think he is quality already but I wonder if it is a blessing in disguise and I also really want to know where Theunis and Zubayr stand.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My understanding of Rassie's selection is thathe is a non-playing reserve. Getting him comfortable in the set-up. The thing that stands out to me about that is they worried about theunis and Zubayr failing and they letting him have time around the group in case that happens before the England series.

I agree. I wouldn't be against Mulder playing. I think he is quality already but I wonder if it is a blessing in disguise and I also really want to know where Theunis and Zubayr stand.
Well that is a concern? Hamza has barely had a chance at test level he should be given more than a few innings. de Bruyn and Hamza should be there at least until the end of the English tour. And it is not like Rassie is not around the squad at all considering he is a big part of the LO setup.