• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

Ulzan69

Banned
Ind 202 for 0 so they left for tea or bad lights, no idea
After tea or so we need Flood lights for syre
(No covers are on )

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Predicted a score of 500 when others were predicting 350, 400 etc. Even 500 looks extremely conservative now.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So how bad is this SA selection? I just don't see how it makes any sense at all.... even if you really needed 5 bowlers, I can't see the purpose of playing 3 spinners? Maybe you thinking a bit of aggression with 5 bowlers to try bowl out the opposition rather than a more conservative extra batsmen? But then the tactics have just been poor as they appear to be defensive in nature, sit back and wait for something to happen? I can't see any sensible thought process here. Probably 9th dimensional thinking beyond me.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Piedt's action looks noticeably different from the England series four years ago, in that it's a lot more front-on and he's also not driving through with his back leg. Hopefully he can eradicate this and start getting good revs on the ball

SeamUp

International Coach
So how bad is this SA selection? I just don't see how it makes any sense at all.... even if you really needed 5 bowlers, I can't see the purpose of playing 3 spinners? Maybe you thinking a bit of aggression with 5 bowlers to try bowl out the opposition rather than a more conservative extra batsmen? But then the tactics have just been poor as they appear to be defensive in nature, sit back and wait for something to happen? I can't see any sensible thought process here. Probably 9th dimensional thinking beyond me.
It is up there with ridiculous calls.

Basically it is already a case of just trying to get a draw but now we a batsman of higher quality light to do that.

No disrespect but Muthusamy is bits and pieces at this stage of his domestic output. Rather here nor there on what he is expected to churn out. Runs or wickets.

Had these doubts about Piedt. Often goes for over 100 runs for 1/2/3 wickets domestically. Harmer and Maharaj have more adaptability about them.

We lacking characters out there at the moment.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
No disrespect but Muthusamy is bits and pieces at this stage of his domestic output. Rather here nor there on what he is expected to churn out. Runs or wickets.
It's almost like they've picked Muthusamy based on the idea of having a spinning all-rounder, which to be fair is quite appealing. The problem is that they seem to have ignored his career stats as an average of under 35 after 69 first-class matches should have raised questions as to whether he's actually good enough to fill the role he's been picked for.

Or else they've decided to go back to the model of the South African teams of 90s which batted a long way down. So they're hoping that not having much of a tail will offset players batting too high and the frailties of the top order.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If India were batting last, Muthuswamy's would have been a decent-ish selection.
Only if you assume Piedt and Maharaj could not do the job. And neither of Ngidi or Nortje could do as least as good a job... even though they are far more impactful players.

Spark

Global Moderator
Classic case of a touring side getting spooked by foreign conditions and working themselves into a lather to try and "counter" them imo.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Classic case of a touring side getting spooked by foreign conditions and working themselves into a lather to try and "counter" them imo.
It does make you wonder about how much influence the last tour has had on this selection? But then not playing the extra bat is still puzzling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's almost like they've picked Muthusamy based on the idea of having a spinning all-rounder, which to be fair is quite appealing. The problem is that they seem to have ignored his career stats as an average of under 35 after 69 first-class matches should have raised questions as to whether he's actually good enough to fill the role he's been picked for.
I think it would have made a sense if he'd fulfilled his batting potential. If he'd repeated his 2017/18 season when he racked up an average of 40ish with the bat batting 5 and 25ish with the ball it would have kind of been worth the punt. His dismal season with the bat that saw him drop down the order makes him much less appealing as a player though IMO. I like him as a player but as a third spinner and seventh batsman at this point of his career it's kind of ehhh. If they were taking a punt each way on the pitch/toss and wanted three quicks and two spinners, or he was closer to being worth picking as a bat, it would have been fine I think. As it is, hmm.

Or else they've decided to go back to the model of the South African teams of 90s which batted a long way down.
Right but most of the sceptics here have argued a batsman should have been selected in his place, so they've actually batted less deep than they could have.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Ngidi non-selection is one which will look worse and worse as the match progresses. His batting notwithstanding.