• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So is Rohit bossing it because he's finally opening, the position he's an ATG at in another format, or because this match is being played at home?
Well he does average over 90 at home and this is a road, so I'm going to go with the latter.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
So is Rohit bossing it because he's finally opening, the position he's an ATG at in another format, or because this match is being played at home?
Combination of both. Interestingly even in tests, Rohit averages 90 at home(!) and 26 abroad. Has played 18 tests abroad and 10 at home. Had he played equal amount of tests home and abroad, he would have averaged around 50 now.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well he does average over 90 at home and this is a road, so I'm going to go with the latter.
But you also have to consider he has the highest average opening in ODI history(nothing to scoff at) and this is the first time he's got to bat there in a test

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But you also have to consider he has the highest average opening in ODI history(nothing to scoff at) and this is the first time he's got to bat there in a test
The white ball doesn't do anything at all and the all ODI pitches are roads. This is a road too so there you go.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
India could not have have asked for more. Close as you get to a prefect selection.

SA selection was the hope that we would win the toss and bat long. SA gonna end up bowling Rabada into the ground this first innings if not careful. Unfortunately neither Piedt nor Muthusamy look quality enough against this Indian batting.

Daemon

We're led to believe by some that Roy is the GOAT opener yet look how he fared

I think he'd have scored a nice 50 and/or tonned up if he batted lower down the order as well. Don't think opening has much to do with it.

trundler

One thing Rohit has which other LO h4x don't is FC pedigree. Say what you will but Indian FC h4x know how to flat track bully. We saw how important that is Melbourne and The Oval recently, where Australian and English bats failed to capitalise.

mr_mister

I think he'd have scored a nice 50 and/or tonned up if he batted lower down the order as well. Don't think opening has much to do with it.
True but Rohits ODI batting is a lot different to Roy's

Rohit way more circumspect generally, a little bit more respectful of new ball bowlers (test values). He's also gotten a 264 which plenty of ATG test batsmen haven't reached in an individual innings

Spark

Global Moderator

Rohit's problem was never really technical in the same way that Roy's is, though, and he has made (admittedly slightly facile) runs in Tests before. It's his temperament that people question.

Anyway yeah happy days once you get in against this attack on this deck.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm thinking Philander at 7 then. Or Muthusamy at 7 and the usual three seamers. In theory that's more batting than Philander at 7.
I wasn't far off. Just surprised they played Piedt ahead of Ngidi. I do like Piedt, but his style of bowling really means that Maharaj has to try and take wickets and keep the runs down.

Not surprised with Rohit either. Always great to watch and I'd back him in India more often than not.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What makes the SA selection even more nonsensical, is that SA's best hope was always going to be reverse, which now leaves only Rabada able to use it. Ngidi or Nortje would have been far better than either Piedt or Muthusamy.

Gnske

I don't this new looking Philander. The Test championship is truly ruining everything.

He looks the star of ****old films ive seen

Ulzan69

Banned
Cong Mayank for yet Another test 50 -his 4th in 5 test.Even
Lady Boycott of Cricket web proud of his Stats.

I can not finds him this year.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I just hope Shaw and Gill do not become the Law and Love for the Indian team if both Rohit and Mayank do well in this series.