• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Niall

International Coach
No worries regarding rambling thoughts my friend ha. I guess if SA felt the need to pick an all-rounder since you can argue in most cases still they don't need one - that all-rounder in A Morkel or McClaren wouldn't be challenging Duminy or Philander for a place - but rather the W keeper spot QDK/Vilas & thus AB would keep.

In some respects over the years not just in tests but all formats I never thought SA gave A Morkel or McClaren long enough runs though.

Agree pretty much. Your point on Bavuma is interesting. Speaking to some other proteas I know outside CW, they have been saying a while long before this series while he is a ok batsman they reckon he is pushed into the national set-up in recent more for quota reasons. They sensed him not being picked in 1st test was similar reasons why when that keeper Tsokeile was around after Boucher retired & SA had chosen to let AB keep in tests until De Kock emerged - the management didn't rate him.

The preferable squad selection I've been hearing was that SA should have picked a natural opener this series in either Stephen Cook (leading Sunsoil Series run scorer last year) or Andrew Puttick & moved Van Zyl back to his natural middle-order spot.
Did Bavuma not have a really good four day season before he was called up though?

I know he did well against the England Lions when they toured with a pretty strong side last year also.

You will get a few LOL quota picks over the next few years sadly, but I don't think he been called up was to outrageous really.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Did Bavuma not have a really good four day season before he was called up though?

I know he did well against the England Lions when they toured with a pretty strong side last year also.

You will get a few LOL quota picks over the next few years sadly, but I don't think he been called up was to outrageous really.
They are the LOL quota picks and quota picks based on performance where a black/coloured player would just get preference over a white player who is also performing for the sake of having the extra black/coloured player presence in the team - which seems to be Bavuma's case.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No worries regarding rambling thoughts my friend ha. I guess if SA felt the need to pick an all-rounder since you can argue in most cases still they don't need one - that all-rounder in A Morkel or McClaren wouldn't be challenging Duminy or Philander for a place - but rather the W keeper spot QDK/Vilas & this AB would keep.

In some respects over the years not just in tests but all formats I never thought SA gave A Morkel or McClaren long enough runs though.
First thing AB must not keep, definitely not in test and with captaincy not in ODI. Maybe in hit and giggle of T20 but why when you have Quinny? Quinton is a genuine batsmen/keeper so he will ultimately bring the balance allowing that extra batsmen in the test team and bowler in the ODI/T20 team. There is no need for AB to keep and he does not want to so lets not force the issue. Morkel and Mclaren are exactly the sort of players I do not want in the test team. In all honesty they are not good enough as a batsmen or bowler at international level. I would rather us play an extra genuine bowler or batsmen as needed. imo.

Agree pretty much. Your point on Bavuma is interesting. Speaking to some other proteas I know outside CW, they have been saying a while long before this series while he is a ok batsman they reckon he is pushed into the national set-up in recent more for quota reason. They sensed him not being picked in 1st test was similar reasons why when that keeper Tsokeile was around after Boucher retired & SA had chosen to let AB keep in tests until De Kock emerged - the management didn't rate him.

The preferable squad selection I've been hearing was that SA should have picked a natural opener this season in either Stephen Cook (leading Sunsoil Series run scorer last year) or Andrew Puttick & moved Van Zyl back to his natural middle-order spot.
Both Cook and Puttick are 30+ maybe have 2/3 yrs left in them if they perform. Rilee is next in-line (injured), followed by Bavuma, De Bryun, Hendricks even Miller (who people think could still be a good test batsmen?) As far as an opener goes, its pretty standard that the best batsmen are picked first and asked to open rather than upsetting a settled middle order. AB started out as an opener for SA.

Tsolekile was unlucky, I believe he was the right pick at the time as he was the best keeper in the country, but his batting was probably not quite up to standard and he was getting old. The other option was Vilas, who is now in the team, and his batting is also weak. So basically AB kept at the time, and we played the extra genuine batsmen to keep team balance. And now the problem is largely solved with Quinton the long term option and Vilas short term.

Bavuma is no doubt partly a quota pick (a reality of SA) but also does show promise and he has the right attitude, and is young enough to improve given the opportunity. Not being picked in the main team this last test was more because of the uncertainty of which spinner to pick than anything else. If you look at the squad he is the only cover batsmen, any other batsmen but Duminy injured and its a straight swop. The uncertainty over who the first choice spinner is and whether we should play more than 1 spinner is what caused the issue in the last test than anything to do with Bavuma`s "quota" selection.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I have watched only one innings from Bavuma and he battled it out in a bad situation after SA losing few quick wickets. He plays spin well. Don't know if it's a quota selection or not but he is not a mug. Also gun in short leg position. Took two great catches at Mohali.

Niall

International Coach
First thing AB must not keep, definitely not in test and with captaincy not in ODI. Maybe in hit and giggle of T20 but why when you have Quinny? Quinton is a genuine batsmen/keeper so he will ultimately bring the balance allowing that extra batsmen in the test team and bowler in the ODI/T20 team. There is no need for AB to keep and he does not want to so lets not force the issue. Morkel and Mclaren are exactly the sort of players I do not want in the test team. In all honesty they are not good enough as a batsmen or bowler at international level. I would rather us play an extra genuine bowler or batsmen as needed. imo.

Both Cook and Puttick are 30+ maybe have 2/3 yrs left in them if they perform. Rilee is next in-line (injured), followed by Bavuma, De Bryun, Hendricks even Miller (who people think could still be a good test batsmen?
) As far as an opener goes, its pretty standard that the best batsmen are picked first and asked to open rather than upsetting a settled middle order. AB started out as an opener for SA.

Tsolekile was unlucky, I believe he was the right pick at the time as he was the best keeper in the country, but his batting was probably not quite up to standard and he was getting old. The other option was Vilas, who is now in the team, and his batting is also weak. So basically AB kept at the time, and we played the extra genuine batsmen to keep team balance. And now the problem is largely solved with Quinton the long term option and Vilas short term.

Bavuma is no doubt partly a quota pick (a reality of SA) but also does show promise and he has the right attitude, and is young enough to improve given the opportunity. Not being picked in the main team this last test was more because of the uncertainty of which spinner to pick than anything else. If you look at the squad he is the only cover batsmen, any other batsmen but Duminy injured and its a straight swop. The uncertainty over who the first choice spinner is and whether we should play more than 1 spinner is what caused the issue in the last test than anything to do with Bavuma`s "quota" selection.

What hurts Miller is he gets to play so little four day cricket as always away on International duty, but I do believe he does actually want to do well in the format. He cut short a stint in the champions league with Yorkshire to play four day cricket. He had some big scores last year in the few games he did play. He'd be a really destructive number six for the saffers one day I think.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agree to disagree on how good AB is as a keeper in tests. No doubt AB doesn't want to keep that much especially in tests, but IMO I don't think QDK's glovework is that much superior to his. Its just that of course AB being SA best batter now, in makes to take that strain off him now that QDK is around.

Right now A Morkel & McClaren's days in tests are probably over, I was more referring to back in their mid 20s when I felt they should have had a longer run. Morkel especially since for me, he was a talented as any all-rounder that has emerged worldwide since 2000.

Both Cook and Puttick are 30+ maybe have 2/3 yrs left in them if they perform. Rilee is next in-line (injured), followed by Bavuma, De Bryun, Hendricks even Miller (who people think could still be a good test batsmen?) As far as an opener goes, its pretty standard that the best batsmen are picked first and asked to open rather than upsetting a settled middle order. AB started out as an opener for SA.

Well Australia gave Chris Rogers test recall close to age 35 recently & he gave 2 very good years of service. So there is basis for SA to go down that route still with either Cook or Puttick.

In Tsokeile's case, well its well documented since Ntini retired sports government officials has been pushing the team to get a "pure black player" (as you might know by SA society terms guys like Philander isn't considered as black as Ntini) into the test team - this is why he was around team so much while obviously not being good enough and why Tstosobe shockingly even played test cricket.

Now that Rababda has emerged on merit basis, their search is essentially over.

To me the uncertainly was a bit un-warranted even with injury to Duminy & M Morkel, SA since readmission on previous IND/PAK/SRI tours never had truly world-class spinners. They would have encountered Mohali like pitches before. It was unusual scrambled thinking by them, when they should have just played Bavuma & made their choice between playing Harmer or Tahir.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Agree to disagree on how good AB is as a keeper in tests. No doubt AB doesn't want to keep that much especially in tests, but IMO I don't think QDK's glovework is that much superior to his. Its just that of course AB being SA best batter now, in makes to take that strain off him now that QDK is around.

Right now A Morkel & McClaren's days in tests are probably over, I was more referring to back in their mid 20s when I felt they should have had a longer run. Morkel especially since for me, he was a talented as any all-rounder that has emerged worldwide since 2000.

Well Australia gave Chris Rogers test recall close to age 35 recently & he gave 2 very good years of service. So there is basis for SA to go down that route still with either Cook or Puttick.

In Tsokeile's case, well its well documented since Ntini retired sports government officials has been pushing the team to get a "pure black player" (as you might know by SA society terms guys like Philander isn't considered as black as Ntini) into the test team - this is why he was around team so much while obviously not being good enough and why Tstosobe shockingly even played test cricket.

To me the uncertainly was a bit un-warranted even with injury to Duminy & M Morkel, SA since readmission on previous IND/PAK/SRI tours never had truly world-class spinners. They would have encountered Mohali like pitches before. It was unusual scrambled thinking by them, when they should have just played Bavuma & made their choice between playing Harmer or Tahir.
Can you elaborate on this?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What hurts Miller is he gets to play so little four day cricket as always away on International duty, but I do believe he does actually want to do well in the format. He cut short a stint in the champions league with Yorkshire to play four day cricket. He had some big scores last year in the few games he did play. He'd be a really destructive number six for the saffers one day I think.
He has some technique issues, but I wonder sometimes if a decent stint in 4 day cricket under a good batting coach may do him a world of good.

Regarding glove work, Vilas is probably the best keeper in the country and Tsolikile was before then. However Quinny has made fantastic improvement and he is the obvious future. As far as Albie goes, unfortunate for him he was around when SA had one of the greatest all-rounders available to them. We had Kallis and Duminy in the team, no need for any more all rounders. If his batting or bowling had stood up by itself, but not even close.

Australia do do that quite often, SA tends to look younger first unless an older player is really putting up his hand.

Tsolekile I personally think was the best glove-man in the country at the time and should have been keeping for SA, his batting was considered not good enough, fair enough. But a good argument could have been made regarding him not getting a chance regardless of racial quota, as what we needed at the time was a genuine keeper. The quota issue is a touchy subject for lots of people, but I personally think that it is sometimes used as an excuse rather than looking at the merits of the case and bigger picture.

I agree they where unsure of what they wanted to do and as I`ve said earlier in the thread I belive they made a mistake.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can you elaborate on this?
Here are some articles in recent years referencing or talking directly about it:

- CSA deny rumours of Smith quitting | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

- South Africa in 2013: No. 1 on the field, not quite off it | Cricket News | Review 2013 | ESPN Cricinfo

Their successes were underpinned by consistency in selection in the longest format, however, that will change with the retirement of Jacques Kallis. Although not as worshipped or as flamboyant as other greats who retired recently, his absence will do to South Africa what the exits of Sachin Tendulkar or Ricky Ponting did to India and Australia.

Plugging the gap will be South Africa's biggest Test challenge in the next year. As will fielding a black African in the Test XI, which has now gone three years without a representative from the country's biggest demographic group. Pressure is growing for that to change.

- South Africa seek to fill Kallis-sized hole | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

"Should South Africa go this way, they will have to bring in one of the reserve glovemen - Thami Tsolekile or his Lions team-mate Quinton de Kock. Tsolekile is probably the first choice. His issue has also become political because of the lack of black African players in the team. South Africa's Test side has gone more than three years without a member of the country's biggest demographic group and it is understood CSA board members are pushing for Tsolekile's inclusion."

Its funny and kind of cringe-worthy to explain as a black/mixed race individual my self - Philander who would be called black in UK, North America and Caribbean but is not viewed as "pure black" like Ntini in S Africa.

In SA race terminology Philander is coloured (mixed race / San ancestry) not black. Prince is coloured. Phangiso is black, but not perfectly black. Black is usually from tribes (migratory tribes who came to form the Xhosa, Zulu, etc). Coloured is mix race people who were either, well, mixed race or were the first ones here (the San). There are some racial issue between those two groups too because during apartheid, sometimes, coloured people were "too black to be white" and now, with Affirmative Action, they are "too white to be black". Coloured people were also not always as harshly treated as blacks. Still separate, but generally not as impoverished. There were many forced removal of them too, especially in Cape Town. But, overall, race especially among my black/coloured brothers in SA - is an unbelievably complex issue.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding glove work, Vilas is probably the best keeper in the country and Tsolikile was before then. However Quinny has made fantastic improvement and he is the obvious future. As far as Albie goes, unfortunate for him he was around when SA had one of the greatest all-rounders available to them. We had Kallis and Duminy in the team, no need for any more all rounders. If his batting or bowling had stood up by itself, but not even close.

Australia do do that quite often, SA tends to look younger first unless an older player is really putting up his hand.

Tsolekile I personally think was the best glove-man in the country at the time and should have been keeping for SA, his batting was considered not good enough, fair enough. But a good argument could have been made regarding him not getting a chance regardless of racial quota, as what we needed at the time was a genuine keeper. The quota issue is a touchy subject for lots of people, but I personally think that it is sometimes used as an excuse rather than looking at the merits of the case and bigger picture.

I agree they where unsure of what they wanted to do and as I`ve said earlier in the thread I belive they made a mistake.
Yes fair enough overall my friend.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If people think Bavuma's selection was 'lolquota', can you name a single non-injured, alternative middle order batsman who was better?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If people think Bavuma's selection was 'lolquota', can you name a single non-injured, alternative middle order batsman who was better?
Rossouw (for the WI tests earlier this year at least) and Van Zyl really, both have records you can actually look at and not say "Huh that's really mediocre"

That being said, at least Bavuma has shown something apart from looking like pure feces against WI. Just think someone like Rossouw will be far more versatile and able for all formats.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Domestic | Sunfoil Series | Averages | 2014/15 - SuperSport - Cricket

Berhardien apparently!.... I think most wanted Cook to be picked and for Stiaan to move back down the order. Stephen Cook is one of those cases where his selection was being called for to replace Peterson at the top of the order a few years ago and even then the quota word got used. Now with Bavuma being picked after only one really good season the emotive feelings have been enhanced, that he leaped frogged Cook. The problem is with the unofficial quota policy in the SA team, it creates uncertainty for fans and players over why they are being picked. Just like you hear about players being picked due to provincialism and friends in Aus, Ind. Pak and probably most teams (Faf for a long timed was said to be in the ODI team because of his friendship with AB!) Unfortunately in SA there is a huge racial element that makes it feel a little more unsavoury, in truth quota selection in SA effects the club and provincial/franchise teams more than anything else....

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Rossouw (for the WI tests earlier this year at least) and Van Zyl really, both have records you can actually look at and not say "Huh that's really mediocre"

That being said, at least Bavuma has shown something apart from looking like pure feces against WI. Just think someone like Rossouw will be far more versatile and able for all formats.
Rossouw is/was next in-line but got himself injured.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, as mentioned Rossouw was out injured (broken finger at the time that hadn't 100% healed), and around that time I believe they'd just debuted van Zyl as well. With injuries and the Smith/Kallis retirements, they were down to specialist batsman #9 or #10. I went through the stats and whatnot and you legitimately had a few journeymen, Rudi Second, Berhardien, Bavuma and a few other guys averaging 30. Considering Berhardien is a spud and nobody knows a thing about Second, you can't blame them for going past the 35-year-olds and giving Bavuma a crack at touring (and playing a couple of games here and there).

He wasn't a clear selection (and I don't think he deserved a Test spot), but there certainly wasn't a definitively better option being passed over for the sake of getting a Black player into the XI.

Marius

International Debutant
Bavuma has played well in the Supersport Series - I saw a stat and he's averaged over 50 for the last three seasons or something similar. He's the opposite from most SA FC players, his stats may actually be worse taking into account the semi-pro competition.

I'm still unsure about him - he played well against Bangladesh, but it remains to be seen how he does against England or Aus on a green Centurion strip.

Politics played a part in his selection I think, but he's certainly not a 'quota' pick, he did well against Bangladesh, and was scoring runs for fun in the last few seasons for the Lions.

Still think Stephen Cook should have got a look in as an opener at some point too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, as mentioned Rossouw was out injured (broken finger at the time that hadn't 100% healed), and around that time I believe they'd just debuted van Zyl as well. With injuries and the Smith/Kallis retirements, they were down to specialist batsman #9 or #10. I went through the stats and whatnot and you legitimately had a few journeymen, Rudi Second, Berhardien, Bavuma and a few other guys averaging 30. Considering Berhardien is a spud and nobody knows a thing about Second, you can't blame them for going past the 35-year-olds and giving Bavuma a crack at touring (and playing a couple of games here and there).

He wasn't a clear selection (and I don't think he deserved a Test spot), but there certainly wasn't a definitively better option being passed over for the sake of getting a Black player into the XI.
In Cook or Puttick there was, because outside of CW the proteas I know were calling for him one of them to open batting since during that home series vs WI. The age wasn't and shouldn't have been and issue since AUS just had a successful 2 years out of Rogers.

He wasn't a lolquota, since alongside K Zondo is the best black batsman in SA - but its obvious given the idea of quotas & need for a "pure black test player" was being pushed from government level since Ntini retired, that played a very big role in him getting picked.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In Cook or Puttick there was, because outside of CW the proteas I know were calling for him one of them to open batting since during that home series vs WI. The age wasn't and shouldn't have been and issue since AUS just had a successful 2 years out of Rogers.

He wasn't a lolquota, since alongside K Zondo is the best black batsman in SA - but its obvious given the idea of quotas & need for a "pure black test player" was being pushed from government level since Ntini retired, that played a very big role in him getting picked.
...why would they pick an opener when they didn't need an opener at that point?

Elgar, Virus, Amla, du Plessis, de Villiers, van Zyl, <GAP> was your top 7, with Rossouw, Duminy and de Kock all on the shelf.

Sure, they could have shuffled Elgar back down to #7, but why do that when you've just lost Graeme Smith (and will inevitably soon lose Petersen) and hence need a long-term option up the top? You could make a strong claim for Cook or Puttick getting the spot that Petersen vacated with his retirement, but in the actual situation that the South African selectors were faced with, picking a 35-year-old opener for a vacancy at #7 would have been weird to say the least.

Bavuma had made consistent runs in the Sunfoil Series over the past few years before he was picked. He wasn't brilliant -- heck, he was nowhere near Test standard -- but when it comes to your 10th best specialist batsman you can't expect Bradman 2.0.

I'm shamelessly copying and pasting this from a discussion I've had previously, but here are the Sunfoil lists from the previous few years. I've red-bolded the viable options.

Top 10 Sunfoil Series Run Scorers for 2014/15
1. RE van der Merwe -- shunt-y all-rounder with no business batting top 6 in Tests
2. RS Second -- who even is this bloke?
3. F Berhardien -- yeah ok, they could have picked him over Bavuma. But he sucks
4. CA Ingram -- just took up a Kolpak deal in England
5. TL Tsolekile -- they wanted a batsman, not a journeyman 'keeper
6. GL Cloete -- averaging 34 for the season and 31 for his career
7. RR Hendricks -- averaging 33 for the season and 34 for the career and is an opener
8. TB de Bruyn -- could be a gun, but 8 FC games in South Africa (debuting in Feb) does not a Test debut make.
9. PJ van Biljon -- looks like a bit of a shunt to me
10. HG Kuhn -- journeyman alert

Top 10 Sunfoil Series Run Scorers for 2013/14
1. S van Zyl -- in the team
2. JL Ontong -- do you really want him in the team?
3. DJ White -- opener, and doesn't seem to be that great, even if he does have potential
4. DJ van Wyk -- yeah, no
5. AG Puttick -- journeyman alert + opener
6. T Bavuma -- young guy with some runs and potential
7. SC Cook -- journeyman alert + opener
8. RR Rossouw -- recovering from injury
9. AG Prince -- retired
10. ML Price -- averaged <35, and he's 33 years old.

2012/13
1. ND McKenzie -- retired
2. S van Zyl -- in the team
3. DJ Jacobs -- no, just no.
4. Q de Kock -- injured
5. T Bavuma -- in fairness he only averaged 31 here, so it isn't especially impressive, but there aren't many viable options in this list
6. VN van Jaarsveld -- regressive step
7. AJA Gray -- not much of an option when the vacancy actually occurred
8. SC Cook -- opener
9. RE van der Merwe -- no.
10. D Smit -- 'keeper who is now struggling to hold a Franchise spot

So yeah, ok, they could have picked Berhardien for Test cricket. But I certainly think Berhardien's ceiling in red-ball cricket is lower than Bavuma's. They could have debuted Hendricks at 7 as a precursor to him getting the opening spot soon to be vacated by Virus -- that actually might have been a decent call. Or they could have taken a punt on de Bruyn, but realistically there's no reason to make that call so early.

They could also have taken a 'keeper so AB de Villiers didn't have to do it, but for whatever reason decided that wasn't the team balance they want. Or they could have rewarded a journeyman opener for their domestic service by chucking them at 7.

Bavuma was young. Bavuma had consistent, if not awe-inspiring, Franchise performances in the previous years. Bavuma had SA-A runs. Bavuma had potential. For a guy who was primarily going to be an experience-gaining tourist and might get a match here or there if injuries and team balance deem it necessary, Bavuma or Hendricks were the only guys who really fit the criteria.

Was it a clear-cut decision where Bavuma was definitively the next best batsman available? No. Was it a selection discussion that he was in on merit? Yes, definitely.

To put it this way, last time I had this discussion the other bloke came in aggressively championing Justin Ontong for Bavuma's place. I think that speaks volumes -- Justin Ontong.