• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

greg

International Debutant
Batsman always know when they hit it though.
As someone pointed out the other day both this and "a fielder always knows when he's caught it" are statements which are fundamentally flawed. Because there has never been any independent corrobaration of the validity of the batsmen's belief. Perhaps what hotspot is now proving is that the statement is rubbish, or perhaps requires modification to "almost always". Even excluding the grey area of when they hit the ground simultaneously.

It is however a fundamental problem for DRS as it currently operates however. Because the basis of the batsmen being able to review decisions relies to a large extent on them 'knowing'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah they do. The mighty whites had a player called Zoumana Bakayogo and some TV comms questioned why we were booing him where in fact we were chanting zooooooooooom
Same thing at Derby County a decade ago when we had Mart Poooooooooom in goal.

Ruckus

International Captain
Think some of you lot might have to actually accept the other team are quite good at some point during this series.
Not wanting to come off as a sore loser, but I honestly don't think you have been that good. There have been some excellent individual performances, but overall I don't think the quality of cricket has been anything special.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah its a bit scary that Cook, KP and Prior have been quiet so far.

Australia just have too many abysmal starters in our lineup that one wicket always leads to 2 or 3.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not wanting to come off as a sore loser, but I honestly don't think you have been that good. There have been some excellent individual performances, but overall I don't think the quality of cricket has been anything special.
We are going to be 2-0 up with Trott/KP and Cook averaging under 20. Would you agree those three are there leading batsmen who will more than likely come good? Shows that England are an all round very good team with a stronger than advertised batting line up. Not great or special or anything like that but a very good team.

greg

International Debutant
Believe me we've been there throughout the nineties. We often thought the Aussies were beatable, had some weaknesses etc (remember Brendon Julian?). Convinced ourselves that if only we could play to our potential, get our best team on the park etc (actually we rarely did, whether due to injury or selectorial quirkiness) we would have a chance. Eventually we decided we just had to accept the inevitable. Conveniently though many try to maintain that the 2005 Aussies were the best ever. I've no doubt it was actually the 2001 team (but they were conveniently tainted by losing to Dravid, Laxman and Harbhajan in a freak).

pup11

International Coach
How has Haddin put in far worse performances then Hughes? Even Watson really.. Cowan has performed slightly worse but he is a limited player and I can't see how you can say the rudiger has been a successful Test Cricketer apart from that second Test where he was sensational. Sure, he has had a couple of good knocks, but so many absolutely inept, woeful innings to go with the small sprinkling of good knocks. That ODI line is rubbish too. If he continues to average very low 30s and kills it in ODIs its not going to further highlight his important in the Test side at all.

I acknowledge he is young and potentially could become a good Test cricketer, but he is going to have to improve or bowling standards are going to have to decline considerably.
Hughes has played almost half the games that Watson and Haddin have and their averages are almost identical, infact Hughes has a better conversion rate then them at this point, but unlike Watson or Haddin he has time on his side to get better from here, but eventually the thing is a young player who has struggled to attain consistency is matching the numbers of two of the most experienced players in the side and that for me is root cause of the problem Australia are facing the atm.

You might not rate Hughes and might not consider him to be a player of test quality at this point in time, but its unfair to talk of him as some big failure, because the truth is he has performed as well or as badly as most guys in the team and among the younger lot he has been our best performer by some distance.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah its a bit scary that Cook, KP and Prior have been quiet so far.

Australia just have too many abysmal starters in our lineup that one wicket always leads to 2 or 3.
I don't really feel like we have more abysmal starters than the average team. It's just that whole going on with it debate thing...

greg

International Debutant
We are going to be 2-0 up with Trott/KP and Cook averaging under 20. Would you agree those three are there leading batsmen who will more than likely come good? Shows that England are an all round very good team with a stronger than advertised batting line up. Not great or special or anything like that but a very good team.
I think that's the point. Yes we haven't put on complete team performances. But when the weaknesses thus far have been areas previously been regarded as strengths, perhaps even key differences between the sides pre-series, that says we are actually a good team with few weaknesses.

greg

International Debutant
TMS banging on about no hotspot on Smith's dismissal, "umpire must have gone on sound" - are they blind?

pup11

International Coach
Its disappointing time to be a Aussie fan atm, but we shouldn't forget that the same set of players were playing some very good cricket only until a few days ago, so its kind of crazy how things have turned so ugly and that too so quickly, don't wanna be sounding like making an excuse or anything but this whole 'faction' and 'team cancer' crap really can't be helping this side.