• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I don't see Allen/Young competing for the same spot tbh. I think it'll be more likely:

1. Conway
2. Allen
3. Young
4. Mitchell
5. Latham
6. Phillips
7. Bracewell
8. Santner
9. Henry
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

With Chapman, Sodhi, Southee and either Neesham/Guptill for the last spot.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see Allen/Young competing for the same spot tbh. I think it'll be more likely:

1. Conway
2. Allen
3. Young
4. Mitchell
5. Latham
6. Phillips
7. Bracewell
8. Santner
9. Henry
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

With Chapman, Sodhi, Southee and either Neesham/Guptill for the last spot.
A lot riding on Conway up top

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Realistically a full strength side is:
1.Allen/Young
2.Conway
3.Mitchell
4.Latham
5.Chapman?
6.Phillips
7.Bracewell
8.Santner
9.Southee
10.Henry
11.Boult/Sodhi

Right? you've got 4 solid front line options and bracewell, phillips, champan and mitchell to make up the remaining 10 and any other's you need filled in if one of the frontliners has a bad day.
I prefer this one over the side posted by The Brand, with only one of Allen/Young making the XI and Chapman present. Though I think Phillips at 5 with Chapman at 6.

Also bracket Southee, Ferguson and Sodhi as the final bowler. Boult clearly plays if he's present.

Ooh that was a big hit by M'knky.

trundler

Latham is a fantastic batsman and the eagerness to phase him out every time he fails because he's not 28 completely baffles me.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I prefer this one over the side posted by The Brand, with only one of Allen/Young making the XI and Chapman present. Though I think Phillips at 5 with Chapman at 6.

Also bracket Southee, Ferguson and Sodhi as the final bowler. Boult clearly plays if he's present.

Ooh that was a big hit by M'knky.
I put Chapman at 5 cause he seems like a better player/hitter of spin then Phillips, but can get wanting to go the other direction.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I put Chapman at 5 cause he seems like a better player/hitter of spin then Phillips, but can get wanting to go the other direction.
You might get a test of Phillips against spin tonight as he's been selected for SRH on a spin heavy deck.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Latham is a fantastic batsman and the eagerness to phase him out every time he fails because he's not 28 completely baffles me.
No question of phasing him out, but barring the 2nd ODI he’s been as culpable as Young in not carrying on after getting a decent score.

trundler

Lathams only been good in ODIs for about 2 years
People go really overboard with "planning for the future" thing imo. Why wouldn't you make the best of what you have right now? As soon as someone hits 30, he's talked about like he's on borrowed time.
No question of phasing him out, but barring the 2nd ODI he’s been as culpable as Young in not carrying on after getting a decent score.
I'm fairly I read talk of moving past him in this thread. You're right about him not converting though.

Moss

NZ really don’t seem to rate Henry’s hitting abilities, can’t believe he’s listed below even Sodhi in a slog over situation.

trundler

75 in the last 10 for NZ. Just about ok. Looks very chaseable though. Shadab was really good in the field throughout the innings.

Moss

Good little knock from Ravindra. Could have a role to play in the 2nd half if the pitch helps.

The lower middle order is a much bigger concern for NZ than the top order IMO, they’re regularly ending up with 20-25 runs short of what they should after a decent platform.

trundler

Good little knock from Ravindra. Could have a role to play in the 2nd half if the pitch helps.

The lower middle order is a much bigger concern for NZ than the top order IMO, they’re regularly ending up with 20-25 runs short of what they should after a decent platform.
The top order is missing 1 player (Conway) and the lower order is missing 4. Also, opening is the best position to bat in Pakistan. Also KW being injured is a kick in the nuts, Babar's absence would massively nerf this Pakistan side too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

It is in this series because Phillips, Macewell and Santner are all out and have been replaced by subpar top order players out of position. I have more faith in those three than Young and Allen at full strength.