• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Blaze said:
I think Papps and How are our future. Cumming and Marshall are both not up to it technically and so now I think it's time to see if Papps has fixed his back foot problem and to see how How goes. We have got nothing to lose because ATM the two openers we have got are not up to it.
The reason why i said Cumming is that he is more of a grafter than the rest, the Richardson type influence. Papps and How both like to play their shots, and i don't think it would make the best mix. Cumming has a bit more experience over the rest and deserves a longer stint. At least he knows where his off-stump is. He plays within his limitations which is a good trait for an opener.

How still has a way to go IMO. But is the next fresh alternative for sure.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
AndrewM said:
We could open up a "Fleming and his poor conversion rate" thread, but that would be to the detriment of New Zealand fans and the rest of the forum.
I don't think you could stop me from posting at least a hundred times to such a thread :D

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Macka said:
I don't think you could stop me from posting at least a hundred times to such a thread :D
I could try :D

"This thread may invoke alot of interest, especially from disgruntled New Zealand fans. I thereby set a 100 post maximum limit, due to the sheer disquiet that the topic may generate.

I thank you for your time, consideration and restraint in advance."

Last edited:

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Hmmm I wish I could share what I know with you people but all I can tell you is that John Bracewell is a tosser and he will get what's coming to him. That's all I will say.

Craig can't be dropped yet. He deserves another chance to see if he has successfully tweaked his technique so that he doesn't get trapped LBW playing round his front pad.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
From what I have heard Cumming will come into the team for the SA tests, he had been injured.

Baces isnt't a tosser he is a great coach, and will stay with this team for a few more years yet.

anzac

International Debutant
southern man said:
Baces isnt't a tosser he is a great coach, and will stay with this team for a few more years yet.
many of us were calling for his head during the ENG Tour - and I fail to see what has changed in the Test arena since then.....................

Bracewell may have used more players in recent times, but much of this was due to injury and having to draw the line on perpetual poor performances...............

however IMO he has failed to improve our depth to any real degree in either batting or bowling - the 'depth' basically comes from the same pool of players that have been used and abused since prior to his appointment................

he has failed to show any improvement in the team weaknesses so far as positions are concerned (openers, consistant strike bowlers & a frontline backup for Vettori), similarly he has seemingly done little to address the batting collapses - his change in team splits was forced upon him with Oram's long term unavailability which also then gave Vincent his 2nd life................

bottom line for me is that he has failed to show any initiative in any of these areas, and has been quite reactionary..............even the 1 success under his reign (H Marshall) wasn't his 'discovery'................

anzac

International Debutant
Blaze said:
I think Papps and How are our future. Cumming and Marshall are both not up to it technically and so now I think it's time to see if Papps has fixed his back foot problem and to see how How goes. We have got nothing to lose because ATM the two openers we have got are not up to it.

you do not see if he has fixed his technique at intnl level - that is what the domestic comp should be able to tell you................and atm it tells us that he can't buy runs last season....

I'm not sure that James is a natural opener - probably seems to be more in the Hamish mould and therefore better suited to the middle order - same old story of having too many middle order players trying to cover too many positions & roles...........

perhaps another disadvantage for the Cumming / Marshall partnership is that each would be better feeding off a more aggressive partner & playing an anchor role.............

all 3 have played a similar handful of Tests and while Papps has a couple of half tons to his credit, his average & SR fall between that of Cumming & Marshall...............

IMO the current openers should be given a full season to show their wares, primarily because not only are they a new combo, but also new to the arena as well - a very tough call for them both to get it right straight off.................

and secondly because there are no stand out alternatives & apart from his batting woes, Papps brings no more experience at this level than the incumbants so you would perpetuate the current weakness.............

the coach & selectors should have had the balls to tell Fleming that he was to take on the role & open because of his ability & experience, and that he has been coming in early for the past couple of seasons anyway..............

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep we only play the ODI's next month. The tests aren't till April/May next year.

So its unlikely Vincent & Marshall will be opening against South Africa in the tests.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Seriously though, what are they going to do with Wincent? He is no opener. He does not want to open. He said so earlier this year. Just so keen to be in the team he WILL open if they ask him to.

I think that Cumming is a good bet (experience and "grit"wise) for the minute and I would be tempted to put the Smear back in the team, and send James Marshall back to domestic stuff with the understanding that he is "one of the" next off the rank.

shaka

International Regular
Astle out bowled off the bowling of Streak. Streak now has 3 wickets, im guessing once the 9th wicket goes, a declaration will occur. Astle out for 128

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm Craig Cumming's cousin:

Richard Rash said:
Hmmm I wish I could share what I know with you people but all I can tell you is that John Bracewell is a tosser and he will get what's coming to him. That's all I will say.
up against a Kavanagh College old boy, where Bracewell's brother teaches and coaches:

Baces (sic) isnt't a tosser he is a great coach, and will stay with this team for a few more years yet.
Place your bets, gentlemen.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good start, Ebrahim gone after trying to get out of the way of a quick and nasty bouncer from Bond, ball went straight up and well caught by Styris. 4/1.