• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I agree with you there Tazz, Fleming really needed to declare a lot earlier than he did, and if that meant sacrficing the chance of a double or triple hundred, then so be it. Worst case scenario, South Africa comes out and scores more runs, and then the Kiwis just play for a draw. At least it would've given them more chance of winning.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but everyone here seems to be saying how easy it is to score runs... yet on CricInfo and such, it seems every third ball has been dropped, edged or missed. Prince especially seemed to have missed or edged an extraordinary amount of deliveries.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
NZTailender said:
Looking at the stats, once Prince gets past 50 he's damn hard to get out...
Haha good point, I noticed that too after stumps on day 4 so decided to have a mini-punt and put $20 on him to score 100 or more (I think he was on 72 at stumps). Paid off. Only paying $1.50 mind you.

He is very solid once he get his eye in and has 40-50+ on the board, but before that he's fairly ordinary.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Haha good point, I noticed that too after stumps on day 4 so decided to have a mini-punt and put $20 on him to score 100 or more (I think he was on 72 at stumps). Paid off. Only paying $1.50 mind you.

He is very solid once he get his eye in and has 40-50+ on the board, but before that he's fairly ordinary.
It's surprising to see how well Prince has done since his recall to the Test side. He played seven Tests upto 2002 for 185 runs @ 16.82. Since he was recalled in 2005, he's made 857 runs @ 50.41. Probably the best apart from Kallis in the South African team.

Natman20

International Debutant
Well so far there has been a pitch very hard to bat on and then there was one that was almost impossible to get wickets on whats next?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Natman20 said:
Well so far there has been a pitch very hard to bat on and then there was one that was almost impossible to get wickets on whats next?
Something in between which hopefully means an entertaining match.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I was wondering what happened to the good ol Daryl Tuffey. I remember him picking awful lot of wickets in his first over, quite a decent bowler.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Xuhaib said:
I was wondering what happened to the good ol Daryl Tuffey. I remember him picking awful lot of wickets in his first over, quite a decent bowler.

Haha I was just thinking this. I know we haven't got the biggest resources for players but is Chris Martin really one of our best bowlers? At least we don't justify his selection in the side, like we do Vettori. Because justifying Vettori's selection in the side is hard given his average, but justifying Martin's position would be just plain stupid :laugh:

Here's hoping we have Mills for the third test.

NZTailender

NZTailender said:
Styris in at 3. I'll back him for a big score here. Well, big in the time that remains.

50 not out is going to boost his average of over 100 @ number 3. :cool:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Styris, now having batted at #3 on four occasions, has never been out for less than 100 in that position.

Sw1fty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Xuhaib said:
Daryl reinjured a bicep injury before the domestic season began last year, and managed to get it right and went down the the academy in Christchurch to play for the Northern Districts second team but only lasted a few overs before the bicep flared up again, so he was going to have surgery on it to fix the problem. He has played some cricket for his club since, but mainly as a batsman.

NZTailender

You know whats quite odd? NZ batsmen seem to play spin very well, despite NZ not having good spinning conditions at all. Yet they struggle against seam bowlers...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
You know whats quite odd? NZ batsmen seem to play spin very well, despite NZ not having good spinning conditions at all. Yet they struggle against seam bowlers...
I think that's a bit simplistic. We struggle against good spin bowling. Warne had it over most of our batsmen for years, while Murali has gone pretty well against us too - bar that series in Sri Lanka when Fleming produced the master class.

In the past, the likes of Abdul Qadir and even (ye gads) Paul Strang and Adam Huckle have spun webs around us.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I think in general, in recent years we've been a heck of a lot better at it. It's probably got a lot to do with all the video analysis and planning they do these days.

Natman20

International Debutant
Daryl Tuffey and Ian Butler have been playing for Counties and Pukekohe my hometown. They have both been doing well with the bat especially butler. I don't see either of them back in the New Zealand squad either for another couple of years or never.

EDIT: Did well with the bat in the season