• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be honest I don't think there's really much evidence to suggest that Watling is as good a batsman as Hopkins either outside of one day cricket - particularly not down the order. Hopkins has put him to shame with the bat in the Plunket Shield.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Since 08 the best number 7s have been Haddin, McCullum, Prior and Dhoni. Vettori has better records than some of them but lets just accept at face value that these players are as good or better. That leaves pretty much every other number 7 to have played much at all in this time.

(Boucher, Ramdin, Kamran, Rahim, Prasanna, Shakib, Ambrose)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
To be honest I don't think there's really much evidence to suggest that Watling is as good a batsman as Hopkins either outside of one day cricket - particularly not down the order. Hopkins has put him to shame with the bat in the Plunket Shield.
Exactly. If Hopkins is dire despite smashing attacks for fun on an admittedly flat home track since moving to Auckland, what does that make BJ Watling and his one good season?

Apart from Brodie and Raval, we have no real genuinely decent opening prospects atm. We've gotten pretty lucky already that McIntosh is doing better than expected.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you look at the other number 7s knocking about is Vettori seriously better than most of them? I don't think you can say that.
Prior's better. Haddin and Dhoni are about equal with him. He's better than the rest IMO. Prassana Jayawardene, Kamran Akmal, Dinesh Ramdin and Mark Boucher are his competition - he's got it covered.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Prior's better. Haddin and Dhoni are about equal with him. He's better than the rest IMO. Prassana Jayawardene, Kamran Akmal, Dinesh Ramdin and Mark Boucher are his competition - he's got it covered.
Yeah I agree with that entirely, Haddin is better too IMO and Dhoni will be when he sorts himself out but he is better than all the rest and is hardly much lesser than Prior and co. anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, but if you looked only at how the two batsmen look when they're at the crease, Haddin would be miles ahead.
Yeah, but then even I'd be better than Vettori. If anything it just shows how easily he gets under-rated. He's averaged 40+ over the last 5 years or more.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the the main players over the past 2 to 3 years:

Player Avg from 2009 on Avg from 2008 on
Haddin 38.5 38.6
Dhoni 53.3 44.6
Akmal 28 in both years
Prassana 31 31
Prior 43 42.9
Vettori 50.6 43

Vettori and Dhoni appear to be the best of the bunch, at least over the last 18 months.

Flem274*

123/5
IMO
Better:
AB de Villiers, Laxman, Haddin, Prior, Collingwood?, Bell?
As good:
Dhoni, North, Yuvraj, Nash? Matthews? McCullum, Mahmudullah?

Here is the list of who has batted there over the last few years Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Not many names really jump out at me
Yuvraj clearly the worst name on that list. Bar Haddin and Bell (polar opposite of Vettori as to when he scores runs imo) I agree with those who are better.

North is hard to say. He's like Australia's Sinclair. Don't know enough about Dhoni to comment, Yuvraj is ****, Nash isn't as good, don't know enough about Matthews, McCullum worse and Mahmudullah hasn't played enough but capable of being equal later on.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just seems odd to me that Vettori who has a case for being one of the top 3 number 6s in Test cricket since he moved there isn't one of the better number 7s around.