• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We have a 19 year old named Richard Sherlock who is quite a small & skinny guy..infact he's almost like Sami. Yet for someone reason he generates an extreme amount of pace.
Small? He may work wonders for a little time but won't last very long.

Anyway, I read Rahul Dravid's comments about a tall fast bowler from Karnataka, India, who was quite impressive. At 6'6", Dravid advised him not to go for pace as taller fast bowlers get injured more. But don't these fast bowlers last longer and bowl faster, and also hit the deck harder?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if you go by the huge amount of quick bowlers who've had to retire because of injury in NZ..then Sherlock potentially, will be another. But hopefully not of course.

The other 2 that have made the Academy are apparently quite tall & strong so we'll see how they all pan out in the next few years.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
We have a 19 year old named Richard Sherlock who is quite a small & skinny guy..infact he's almost like Sami. Yet for someone reason he generates an extreme amount of pace.

At the start of the season (his very first spell in FC cricket) he knocked over 3 or 4 Wellington batsmen in the space of 5 overs & was never seen again for the rest of the season..I presume because of injury?
From e-city.co.nz (using my card):

CANTERBURY'S aggressive off season recruitment drive has netted them another big fish with the country's most promising fast bowler Richard Sherlock agreeing to terms....

....Sherlock's switch will leave a sour taste in the mouths of Central officials. The 20-year-old from Nelson took wickets with his second, fourth and ninth balls on debut against Wellington last summer and though injury restricted him to just one more game there is no doubting he has the X-factor.

He probably ranks second equal with Ian Butler in terms of the fastest bowler in New Zealand behind Shane Bond and has a rhythmic approach and high bowling action which hopefully hold him in good stead for the future...

.....after his second match he succumbed to a frustrating foot injury and did not play at top level again, the injury not responding to a cortisone injection.

A scan in April showed bone activity still in the ankle, which had not settled after four months, but it is believed that another two months rest from bowling should help heal the problem.

"It's in the same family as a stress fracture and it needs time off from pounding on the hard surfaces," Sherlock said from Brisbane, where he is doing general fitness work.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Canterbury seem to be doing a Real Madrid at the moment...signing up all the up & coming youth players in NZ.

If Sherlock continues from where he left off...they'll be unstoppable this season. Canterbury infact will be the home to all 3 fast bowlers selected for the Academy...Sherlock, Leighten Burtt & Will Lonsdale.

I know that up here in Auckland at my club, apparently they've prised NZ U19 fast bowler Te Ahu Davis away from Northern Districts.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Meanwhile C.D have announced the coach who will replace Mark Greatbatch..and it appears they've made a good signing.

Former English player Graham Barlow, who previously coached Border in South Africa & was also head coach at the Eastern Province Cricket Academy.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
I wasn't looking to blame Bracewell entirely..but up until this year we'd be doing ok in tests..but since December we've now lost 5 out of 8 test matches under Bracewell!

I didn't mind us drawing in test matches as long as we were getting to the stage where we would start putting some wins together..I was hoping Bracewell would achieve that, but we've instead gone backwards.

Is it me or did Bracewell bring too much arrogance to this squad? I mean before NZ left for England there was talk this was the best NZ side ever (even from the players) and that England should be ready for an all-out assault...which obviously threatened at times, but never really got going.
Bracewell used to be described as a fast bowler in an offspinner's body, and right now I think he's trying to be Australia with NZ's talent pool. After losing 3 tests when setting targets of 280+, Bracewell desperately needs some bowlers who can step up to the plate for him. Admittedly with Bond fit, I'm pretty sure Bracewell's record would look a damn sight better than P8, W1, L5.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bracewell now gives Butler some special treatment, trying to do with him what England have managed with their rough diamonds, Harmison and Flintoff. Those two are now superb bounce bowlers at a menacing pace, something Bracewell realises he just won't get out of his so-called "deck kissers", Martin and Tuffey.

Even I have to admit that Butler will be a part of NZ's future, almost by default. Bracewell may give him an extended run in the test XI until he matures, because Martin and Tuffey just won't ever fit in with his nature as a coach. Both have fragile confidence and limited talents, while I get the feeling Bracewell would rather be working with a whole team of McCullums.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How long do you think before Bracewell starts pushing for guys like Taylor, Ryder, Sherlock, Fulton etc...?

Butler has got more raw ability than Tuffey & Martin..and if he became good, he'd be a damn good sight to watch considering he likes to run all the way down the wicket to the batsman in his follow through.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Jimmy Franklin could be useful for NZ in the future. I believe im right in saying he was a NZ U19 captain?

I think his left-arm gives him a good case for selection & I also think he pushes the ball through a bit quicker than a Tuffey or Martin.
I think a couple of seasons in FC cricket did him alot of good too..it appears as though he's refined his bowling action & improved his batting along the way.

Not that I want to see NZ sack every player in the side, but I think we need to harden up in the bowling department & start selecting a few younger guys who actually do have some raw talent. That could apply to a few batsmen aswell.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
England were the same mind you..there were times where had NZ bowled better, they could have been in dire straits, but as it turned out they batted the better of the two teams & won the series.
I know that feeling too!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you look at the overall series...Aggers & a few other BBC commentators pointed out that in all 3 tests on Day 4, NZ held the advantage..yet released it rather easily.

So in reality the 3-0 scoreline was flattering yet at the sametime fully deserved by England because they indeed played the better cricket when it mattered most.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
How long do you think before Bracewell starts pushing for guys like Taylor, Ryder, Sherlock, Fulton etc...?
I think Bracewell is treading pretty carefully in that regard, but the tone in Fleming's voice lately suggests to me he's lost a lot of faith in his current resources. I'd be surprised if the Bangladesh squad didn't have a bit of a rebuilding look to it.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracewell would rather be working with a whole team of McCullums.
I hope not. The original McCullum can't catch! Some of his drops have cost the team a lot- dropping Dravid cost them a place in the World Cup semis, and he dropped a few in the Tests in England, too, and the beneficiaries went on to make big scores.

Kent

State 12th Man
Just as a sidenote - I was amazed Snedden said the BC's management confirmed to him that Tuffey is 100% fit and was simply dropped on form.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum isn't the greatest keeper, but he's definately not rubbish either.
I can see in the future McCullum dropping the gloves in tests if he becomes consistent with the bat though.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How good a keeper is Gareth Hopkins? Any better than all the McCullums, Vincents and Nevins just tried?

Kent

State 12th Man
Arjun said:
I hope not. The original McCullum can't catch! Some of his drops have cost the team a lot- dropping Dravid cost them a place in the World Cup semis, and he dropped a few in the Tests in England, too, and the beneficiaries went on to make big scores.
I mean more in attitude than anything. McCullum certainly doesn't let things phase him, while there's the impression that once the English press branded Martin and Tuffey nothing more than county trundlers, they took it to heart and lost all confidence.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Luckily we play Bangladesh first & not the other way around with Australia because we definately need to sort out some issues.

I think they've got to make the call & leave McMillan & Tuffey out of that tour & suggest to them that they're not in the frame for Australia either.
Tuffey needs a spell with his knee & McMillan is not justifying his place in the side anymore.

Personally I want to see Astle down at #5 because that's where he's been the most successful for NZ. We have a huge cluster of attacking batsmen who don't necessarily want to stick around for too long & that is part of the reason why we're having 2 or 3 wickets falling in quick succession.
Cairns retiring will open up a slot for the selectors to decide whether they want another bowler or batsman..and then what type of bowler or batsman they need.

How many more chances does Sinclair get before he's gone for good? should Peter Fulton come in & if so where should he bat? or do they bring in Taylor & continue the attacking combination?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean more in attitude than anything. McCullum certainly doesn't let things phase him, while there's the impression that once the English press branded Martin and Tuffey nothing more than county trundlers, they took it to heart and lost all confidence
That's one good thing about McCullum- he's a positive player. However, his best and most effective role is that of a batsman.

By the way, what happened to Tuffey? A lot was said about his rather improved performance in India- he only averaged 29, but now he seems to have lost it again.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopkins, I think is one of the best keepers..if not the best in New Zealand. His batting stats aren't particulary flash..but if NZ's top order works consistently, he'll make up for that because he'll take 99% of the chances that go to him.
I said earlier that I was happy to see him score 70 odd against Leic's last week..he was able to step up & take runs, so I wouldn't rule him out in the future either.