• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Howe_zat

Audio File
Man that really takes the shine off.

I supposes the laws of physics decree that Finn's figures suck no matter what happened

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't it have been better to call in Franklin? He would have strengthened the batting and could be good for 7-8 overs.
Playing on an Irish passport for Middlesex. Can't call him in without him flipping his nationality back, which would cause contractual issues at County level. He's playing as a local.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Wouldn't it have been better to call in Franklin? He would have strengthened the batting and could be good for 7-8 overs.
It depends on how Mathieson bowls I guess.

If you are at the point of Franklin, then you'd be thinking that Mitch or NMac would have been the better option. But he could do the bizo, we can't see the future.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Playing on an Irish passport for Middlesex. Can't call him in without him flipping his nationality back, which would cause contractual issues at County level. He's playing as a local.
Yeah that's definitely the reason he wasn't picked as a bowler for this ODI. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that's definitely the reason he wasn't picked as a bowler for this ODI. :p
Yeah, well the whole "he's completely and utterly ineligible" does put a dent in that line of thinking, even if Franklin as a bowler is utterly implausible.

They could have called in Jeets or Jesse though, if they had so wished. Or Verma.

What is this?

I could be wrong, but doesn't having a passport make him a better than a Kolpak player and eligible as of right for county cricket?

He has an Irish passport. He can work in the United Kingdom.

Cannot contract out of law.

Last edited:
Yeah, well the whole "he's completely and utterly ineligible" does put a dent in that line of thinking, even if Franklin as a bowler is utterly implausible.

They could have called in Jeets or Jesse though, if they had so wished. Or Verma.
Why is Franklin ineligible?

What are you on about?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great finish NZ.

I can't believe Eng are $1.50, that's ****ing short.

How's the pitch playing generally?

Skyliner

International 12th Man

Or Andrew Mathieson, who set a new mark for domestic one-day wickets last season with 31.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Great finish NZ.

I can't believe Eng are $1.50, that's ****ing short.

How's the pitch playing generally?
No recognizable movement for seam or spin but it's slower than the other wickets this series, which I think has been causing a lot of the mistimed shots. Still, Wheeler showed it's not beyond anyone to clear the ropes.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
What is this?

I could be wrong, but doesn't having a passport make him a Kolpak player and eligible as of right for county cricket?

Cannot contract out of law.
EU National, not Kolpak. I believe there is a slight difference.

From my understanding, as far as the ICC is concerned, you can only have one nationality at once -- so, with Franklin playing county cricket on his Irish passport (i.e. as an Irishman), he gives up being a New Zealander in the eyes of the ICC.

He can, presumably, swap nationalities back whenever he so wishes -- but from my understading his Middlesex contract would no longer apply. I think Boyd Rankin is in the same boat -- his contract with Warwicks is negotiated along the lines of him being English (i.e. only to be released for England duty, not Irish duty), and any change to his nationality would necessitate a change in his contract.

There may very well be a test case in there regarding restraint of trade, to be fair to you. I am not a lawyer and all that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What is this?

I could be wrong, but doesn't having a passport make him a Kolpak player and eligible as of right for county cricket?
Yeah he can play county cricket whenever he likes, but if he's playing as a local in county cricket then he can't play for New Zealand.

The restriction is on the international selection rather than the county selection.

EU National, not Kolpak. I believe there is a slight difference.

From my understanding, as far as the ICC is concerned, you can only have one nationality at once -- so, with Franklin playing county cricket on his Irish passport (i.e. as an Irishman), he gives up being a New Zealander in the eyes of the ICC.

He can, presumably, swap nationalities back whenever he so wishes -- but from my understading his Middlesex contract would no longer apply. I think Boyd Rankin is in the same boat -- his contract with Warwicks is negotiated along the lines of him being English (i.e. only to be released for England duty, not Irish duty), and any change to his nationality would necessitate a change in his contract.

There may very well be a test case in there regarding restraint of trade, to be fair to you. I am not a lawyer and all that.
Yeah Kolpak is Associate countries. Ireland is fully fledged EU. So its Bosman.

EU passport holders can work anywhere in the EU.

With the money paid to the counties by the ECB, and the money paid to ECB by the ICC, I find it impossible to think that there is not a restriction there that the counties must release players for international duty. Be it England, Ireland, West Indies or New Zealand. The county could throw a tantrum and not resign a player, but to restrict an international call up seems wrong.

Last edited:

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not great viewing this match. The pitch is not conducive for flowing cricket. Also, when McCullum goes out early it can be a bit of a downer for a neutral, unless Guptill is at his best. NZ also missed Anderson this series. Every team should have three or four McCullums or Hales because if one fails then you still have a couple more waiting to entertain. England have Hales, Stokes, Roy, Buttler (not playing today). Guys like Williamson, Root are good players but they are not the belligerent type who keep you on the edge.