• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking over the results since the turn of the century, Australia has lost 14 home tests and won 77.

5 losses, 7 wins vs South Africa is by far Australia's worst record. In fact, Australia has not beaten South Africa once at the WACA since the turn of the century despite playing there 4 times (1 draw, 3 losses).

India and England have both won 4 tests each. Notably, England won three tests in the 2010/11 series which was their first series victory in Australia stove the 80s. Their other win was in a dead rubber in 2003. India won two last summer, one in 03/04 and one in 08/09 (Australia lost two tests in 2008 at the WACA - one to India and one to SA).

New Zealand has won a single test in Australia in 2011 in Hobart.

Australia's worst venue is the WACA, losing 4 tests there. Adelaide and Melbourne have seen three losses each, Hobart two (though from half the tests of the others), Sydney two and Brisbane zero.

A loss at Melbourne has featured in both losses not featuring South Africa and one of the three losses to South Africa (The other two losses to South Africa they didn't play at Melbourne).

It's therefore fair to say that Australia have lost to foreign sides when the conditions they face are more like their home conditions, South Africa favouring the WACA and Bellrieve, India favouring Melbourne and Adelaide and New Zealand getting their solitary win in Hobart.

stephen

Agree with Stephen here ( For the first time). Matches in Aus would be extremely one sided in case of more faster and bouncier pitch. On the positive side Steve Smith batting average would come down a bit :ph34r:
****. It's the apocalypse.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
the nz box shoehorns in female commentators with no role for them and it shows because they barely say a word and half the blokes try to pretend they're not there.
Craig Cumming is pretty good in this regard, the others are awful to the point you suspect they are doing it out of protest.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Forget the conditions or the players missing, a home loss at any Australian venue should hurt. The psychological deficit alone that visiting teams, and especially those from Asia, have to cope with on a tour to Australia makes any win richly deserved.

Nathan Lyon is going to finish with 500+ wickets isn't he? As much as I enjoy watching him bowl, that is by far the unlikeliest stat I will have come across. Well, Cook making over 12,000 runs comes close but picking so many wickets is a bigger eye grabber.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Craig Cumming is pretty good in this regard, the others are awful to the point you suspect they are doing it out of protest.
Yep, it’s hard to make much contribution when the guys in the box completely ignore you and follow everything you say with a totally unrelated comment, like you’re not even there. Simon Doull the worst for it, I reckon.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think the MCG was as good this year as it's going to get - it's never, ever been a bouncy surface even before the drop-ins I believe - but the SCG has been awful for ages now too. The pitch with the highest "average" in the last few years I believe.

Re: NZ though I think they're mostly mentally cooked tbh. I realise most of those changes were forced but the "change half the team for the SCG Test" happens a fair bit and it always leads to the guilty side getting hosed and not really looking up for the fight.
This might be one of those Road to Damascus moments for NZ cricket which will be great when we tour 5>>> nations after this and the India home series but will wear off next time Aus come calling in Tests 8-)

nzfan

Was overseas for holidays and thought I will be missing watching Black Caps but looks like I skipped the nightmare. In a way only have good memories of Black Caps from last year. Everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. What's going on with our batters? Is it outstanding Aussie bowling or mediocre bowling from us. Tried to catch up on highlights from overseas but in vain. The Sky sport app doesn't work overseas.

NZTailender

AUstralian bowlers have been absolutely superb. Starc looks like a different bowler to what he was (i mean he was good, but at Test level would still be rubbish). Cummins is in god mode and Lyon has bowled really well - or at least, our batsmen have made it look that way. Our batting has been pretty crap though at the same time. The last innings felt more like giving away wickets then being gotten out, unlike the other tests where the good nut to daft dismissal ratio was the opposite.

Athlai

Not Terrible
AUstralian bowlers have been absolutely superb. Starc looks like a different bowler to what he was (i mean he was good, but at Test level would still be rubbish). Cummins is in god mode and Lyon has bowled really well - or at least, our batsmen have made it look that way. Our batting has been pretty crap though at the same time. The last innings felt more like giving away wickets then being gotten out, unlike the other tests where the good nut to daft dismissal ratio was the opposite.
There is nothing more irritating than Australia clicking as a bowling unit against us. Seems to happen everytime. Some new wunderkid appears, or injury returns happen, or someone out of form suddenly finds it. Its uncanny.

I mean credit to them, its a hell of an attack.

Drsami

Cricket Spectator
Hello everyone,
Sorry, I know this is off topic but I was looking for a platform where I reach a lot of people.*
I am third-year medical student interested in finding out the general knowledge people have about tuberculosis; I intend to use this study to assess people's understanding, perceptions and beliefs about tuberculosis. Establishing each respondent's background using the information they provide will allow me to draw comparisons between healthcare systems, and analyse how they manage tuberculosis. This will enable us to identify parts of the world that are in need of a better understanding of tuberculosis in order to decrease the spread of the disease. Ultimately, in these countries, I hope to see a decline in the mortality rate due to tuberculosis. Your participation is entirely voluntary and no prior knowledge is required to complete this survey. I kindly ask that you answer the questionnaire without any assistance as this will defeat the objectives of the study.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

If you have spare time and willing I would highly appreciate it and it'd make my day*
Thank you*

stephen

Thing is I'd place all our quicks at around McDermott level or better which means we have one of the best peace attacks ever. Lyon is the second best regular spinner we've had in my lifetime. Is it any wonder they're strong?

nzfan

Fair enough the Aussie attack is world class but I would have thought our world class players in Taylor, Williamson and the likes would have coped. Surely our boys are no mugs with the bat. Other than 100 from Blundell and 80+ from Taylor we have barely done anything with the bat and in 5 consecutive innings. As much as I hate to slag off our lads it seems like our batting has been proved below par. It's not like a no.2 test side but a no.8 or no.9 test side has paid a visit to Australia. What has been our highest individual score on this tour barring Blundell's 100? 80+ from Taylor is it? That's just not good enough. We've had 4 over 50 scores and that comprises of one each from Blundell and Phillips. Our bowling only really can work it's magic if our guys can put some good runs on board which we are lacking consistently. Hoping this is just a one off series and we're able to find our collective form vs India at home. This is one hell of a nightmare series for us. Credit to Aussies though, they just know how to work us overtime series after series.

NZTailender

Fair enough the Aussie attack is world class but I would have thought our world class players in Taylor, Williamson and the likes would have coped. Surely our boys are no mugs with the bat. Other than 100 from Blundell and 80+ from Taylor we have barely done anything with the bat and in 5 consecutive innings. As much as I hate to slag off our lads it seems like our batting has been proved below par. It's not like a no.2 test side but a no.8 or no.9 test side has paid a visit to Australia. What has been our highest individual score on this tour barring Blundell's 100? 80+ from Taylor is it? That's just not good enough. We've had 4 over 50 scores and that comprises of one each from Blundell and Phillips. Our bowling only really can work it's magic if our guys can put some good runs on board which we are lacking consistently. Hoping this is just a one off series and we're able to find our collective form vs India at home. This is one hell of a nightmare series for us. Credit to Aussies though, they just know how to work us overtime series after series.
Historically, our batsmen have always struggled in Aus with the exception of Crowe. Last tour was one of our better ones with Taylors 290 and Williamsons two hundreds, but obviously they were let down by the bowlers. But yeah, I was expecting more from the two senior bats. Latham has probably done what he can do which is frustrating, but 1 50 and a 49 is better than his last tour IIRC. Was expecting a lot more from Nicholls and, tbf, Watling. Though considering he played a blinder vs England and Sri Lanka that seems a bit harsh, but he's looked really out of sorts this tour much like last tour.

Then fact Blundells come in and looked relatively at ease, and to some extent, so has Phillips, makes you wonder how much is psychological. I had hoped CdG would play a barnstorming innings but he's looked really overhwelmed at having to walk in at 6 for **** all everytime.

nzfan

Historically, our batsmen have always struggled in Aus with the exception of Crowe. Last tour was one of our better ones with Taylors 290 and Williamsons two hundreds, but obviously they were let down by the bowlers. But yeah, I was expecting more from the two senior bats. Latham has probably done what he can do which is frustrating, but 1 50 and a 49 is better than his last tour IIRC. Was expecting a lot more from Nicholls and, tbf, Watling. Though considering he played a blinder vs England and Sri Lanka that seems a bit harsh, but he's looked really out of sorts this tour much like last tour.

Then fact Blundells come in and looked relatively at ease, and to some extent, so has Phillips, makes you wonder how much is psychological. I had hoped CdG would play a barnstorming innings but he's looked really overhwelmed at having to walk in at 6 for **** all everytime.
Nothing against the likes of Nicholls, Raval (in fact I think he's good enough for few years), De Grandhomme etc but we need proper batsman with tight technique to be able to perform overseas consistently. Relying so much on Taylor and Williamson is not good for these two. It's time to acknowledge we need batsman with good technique to cope with extra pace and spin. Young is one player I think can make a difference and just hoping Ravindra just scores some big runs and gets in the test team ASAP. These two players I think have the ability and water tight technique to last against pace/spin equally. Rutherford isn't a bad player and not sure why he wasn't flown in. I want Glenn Phillips to do really well but again I don't think he's going to help us as yet play outstanding test cricket. Similarly Tom Blundell is only a stop gap at the top of the order and glad he's gone well. I didn't think he will be well used at the top of the order and should be ideally batting no.6 Colin is only a good enough no. 8 bat. He's not a bad bat but not so good that he can be batting at no.6 or 7. Why don't they pick Jimmy Neesham? Also what happened to Darryl Mitchell? One game and he's out? Besides he didn't do badly either.

Batting seems to be our perennial problem, decade after decade. Bowling is just fine it doesn't need a fix as yet.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We make Lyon look like an absolute superstar, every time we play him. No doubt he's bowled ok but as you say, we've made him look good by being bloody clueless.

It's very clear we have a big brother complex with Australia. We can't bring ourselves to compete for long periods of time because we believe them to be superior to our skills. I can't otherwise explain how we manage to be so dogged against other test sides yet get out in the most inane ways, then (Wagner apart) can't land more than 2 balls in the same spot

stephen

Warner and Burns look like they're there for a good time this morning.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yesterday was such a horrible day of cricket from NZ - go to the trouble of fighting back on day 2 only to all-but lose the match on day 3. Some good bowling and yes we've always struggled with Lyon, but for the first time in the series there was a platform and they wasted it.

One last chance in the series to bat long, expectations are basement-level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes to my mind it's always been first and foremost the NZ batsmen that struggle against anyone bowling 140+ every time NZ tour Australia, while the bowlers toil but are a lesser concern. It's the 2015 tour that was an exception, rather than this one imo.

Pre-tour I was picking Williamson, Nicholls and Watling as the main run-scorers while Latham and Taylor, who had pumped their recent averages with easier knocks, would be found out. Totally wrong - while the latter two haven't exactly been stellar, the other three failed completely.

stephen

It makes me angry that Wagner probably won't tour more than once more. Love watching him bowl.