• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Some wonderfully typical performances today:

Hay scores a hundred on a batsman's paradise
Bennett graps a couple of wickets, but goes at 4-5 an over.
Tuffee grabs a couple of wickets, and goes at 1-2 an over.
Franklin takes a few with the new ball and gets carted around the rest of the time.
Woodcock nurdles his way to a 50 after the top order fails.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

Franklin takes a few with the new ball and gets carted around the rest of the time.
And The Second Coming, Mitch McClenaghan, takes a hatrick - the top order of Canterbury - without them putting a run on the board! Get him in the team now! And replace anyone over 22 with Kane Williamson and George Worker!!!

Flem274*

123/5

8-)

Could use with a few flat track bullies in the middle order for the ODI series Mr "20 for Flynn in a ****e performance counts as a good score" Bahnz :p

Bennet=yuck

Jimmeh=gun

Tuffey=ICL

Woodcock=>insert insult here<

Flem274*

123/5
And The Second Coming, Mitch McClenaghan, takes a hatrick - the top order of Canterbury - without them putting a run on the board! Get him in the team now! And replace anyone over 22 with Kane Williamson and George Worker!!!
McClennaghan took a hat-trick?

Explains why every radio person wanted him in the side.

Flem274*

123/5
Understandable if they don't know anything about it. Still he took the wickets and they were top order batsmen. Can't begrudge him that.
It sounds like top class bowling (do it more often please), but i was just saying it explains to me the rationale of the knee jerk idea, apart from the fact he can bowl fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
8-)

Could use with a few flat track bullies in the middle order for the ODI series Mr "20 for Flynn in a ****e performance counts as a good score" Bahnz :p
If you'll recall, my praise for him was due to him scoring 60* in a first innings score of 160, and 20 in a second innings score of 100, a good all round performance on one of the worst batting track prepared in NZ over the last 3 or 4 seasons. I've yet to see Hay achieve anything like it in such difficult circumstances (indeed, Hay's efforts on the same track a week earlier were 0 and 28), so :p

Although I agree about the current ODI series though, especially for the Eden Park game. A player like Hay could make good use of those square boundaries.

Flem274*

123/5
If you'll recall, my praise for him was due to him scoring 60* in a first innings score of 160, and 20 in a second innings score of 100, a good all round performance on one of the worst batting track prepared in NZ over the last 3 or 4 seasons. I've yet to see Hay achieve anything like it in such difficult circumstances (indeed, Hay's efforts on the same track a week earlier were 0 and 28), so :p

Although I agree about the current ODI series though, especially for the Eden Park game. A player like Hay could make good use of those square boundaries.
You're forgetting two nineties on a greentop, which I've made you admit. :p

Also, I don't really have huge knowledge on pitch conditions match by match, so can't comment on all Hay's innings (that would require memory), but flat track bullies don't average 50 in NZ domestic cricket, add that to the fact that if he can score two 90s in a match on a greenie, then there's no reason why he hasn't done it elsewhere.

Whilst he gets to bat at Napier, the Napier domestic pitch is no where near the flatness of the test one, the flattest pitch in NZ is easily the Eden Park Outer Oval, its a no contest.

I would be interested in seeing who scores big against the better attacks though O'Brien, Franklin, Gillespie, Patel and Adams, Martin, Tuffey, Mills etc)

Though ones like Canterbury or CD would be interesting, on one hand they have the Bonds, Masons, Davidsons and Thompsons of domestic cricket and on the other they have the Bennets, McClenaghans, Sherlocks, and Burtts of this world.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
New round of games.

Two of the three teams who won the toss decided to bowl. Surely there isn't that much movement early on?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Thought Beard was ND?

Least we know who will replace Vettori when he retires, am I right in saying that Beard modeled his action on Vettori, Jimmy? Looked that way at the U-19 WC.
Na, always an Otago boy.

I've never heard him say something like that, and to be honest I see very little of Vettori in his action.

Flem274*

123/5
Na, always an Otago boy.

I've never heard him say something like that, and to be honest I see very little of Vettori in his action.
Really? He's a left arm spinner eh? (Just checking i've got the right guy :p) looked quite similar to Vettori's action last time I saw him but hey, wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.:ph34r:

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Really? He's a left arm spinner eh? (Just checking i've got the right guy :p) looked quite similar to Vettori's action last time I saw him but hey, wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.:ph34r:
Yea you've got the right guy. Beardy pushes his front arm straight up and leans back quite far in his action. Vettori is much more upright and bends his arm.

Not to mention that Vettori's 6'4 and Beardy's about 5'10. :laugh:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Southee did nicely, Martin got smashed. Great to see before the test series 8-)
I know, disappointing to see before the test series. 12 overs 0/48 is particularly unimpressive compared to Daryl Tuffey at the other end with 11 over 2/19. On Tuffey's recent form you'd have to think he'd be a chance at a Black Caps spot if he wasn't ICL.