• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2007/08

Leslie1

U19 Captain
:@

Fulton MUST not be allowed to start in the first test. He's horrible. Getting out to Elliot of all people. Jesus.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Where's everyone getting their domestic info? Blackcaps.co.nz isn't working for me, and xtra was ****e.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I don't get why they have State final when a draw means Wellington win it. It's quite meaningless. Having said that, Iain O Brien is bowling an inspired spell. I do wonder if Southee has a bad first test in England that O Brien would be his replacement.

I prefer to think Southee is competing for the same spot as Kyle Mills rather than as the third seamer. Both are similar ability players, bowl the same type of deliveries, and bat a bit.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get why they have State final when a draw means Wellington win it. It's quite meaningless. Having said that, Iain O Brien is bowling an inspired spell. I do wonder if Southee has a bad first test in England that O Brien would be his replacement.

I prefer to think Southee is competing for the same spot as Kyle Mills rather than as the third seamer. Both are similar ability players, bowl the same type of deliveries, and bat a bit.
I guess if Canterbury are good enough and deserving of the title, they should have the ability to win the match. Personally I've got no problems with the format, with the exception of the scheduling (why have the final after daylight saving, ensuring play finishes at least half an hour earlier every day?)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The final is interestingly poised at the half way point, with Hamish Bennett getting enough in the right area to pick up 7 wickets and skittle Wellington for 188, giving Canterbury a slim lead. If the weather holds, there should be enough time left to get a result, and batting last is always tough, so one would have to say advantage Canterbury at this point.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The domestic final is looking interesting - Canterbury declare with a lead of 248 (they need an outright win to take title) and then reduce Wellington to 6/4!! Davidson has taken all four wickets and at one stage had 1/4 from 3 overs. At end of day Wellington are 14/4 with N. Parlane and Nevin in.

Predictable question - anyone know anything about Davidson? He seems to be doing well with both bat and ball this season, which leads me to conclude he's probably a typical NZ bits and pieces player. Or is he an import?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The domestic final is looking interesting - Canterbury declare with a lead of 248 (they need an outright win to take title) and then reduce Wellington to 6/4!! Davidson has taken all four wickets and at one stage had 1/4 from 3 overs. At end of day Wellington are 14/4 with N. Parlane and Nevin in.

Predictable question - anyone know anything about Davidson? He seems to be doing well with both bat and ball this season, which leads me to conclude he's probably a typical NZ bits and pieces player. Or is he an import?
All I know is what I've heard about him on the radio. He's a left arm quickie and he swings the ball A LOT. Really disappointing from Wellington, with three batsmen getting out without playing a shot. Always dangerous to leave against a lefty swinging it into you. Still I haven't lost hope completely. Too experienced campaigners in Parlane and Nevin at the crease, and a forecast of rain tomorrow afternoon could yet let Wellington get away with an undeserved draw.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4-1? Jeez, that's impressive. Never even heard of the guy! Looks like he has some decent career stats, might keep an eye on him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really disappointing from Wellington, with three batsmen getting out without playing a shot. Always dangerous to leave against a lefty swinging it into you. QUOTE]

Yeah that always looks so embarassing for the batsman! But obviously not a hard mistake to make given how many wickets Franklin gets like that domestically when it's swinging.

Looked up Davidson on cricinfo and he's only played 5 FC games before this one (though he's 26), average-ing 28 with ball and 32 with bat before this game.

Looking at all the black caps (or fringe players) in this game and they've all done terribly except Gillespie and everyones' favourite, O'Brien. Papps and Bell giving a good indication of why they're not in the team for England. Mind you, so is Fulton and he IS in the team.

Flem274*

123/5
All I know is what I've heard about him on the radio. He's a left arm quickie and he swings the ball A LOT. Really disappointing from Wellington, with three batsmen getting out without playing a shot. Always dangerous to leave against a lefty swinging it into you. Still I haven't lost hope completely. Too experienced campaigners in Parlane and Nevin at the crease, and a forecast of rain tomorrow afternoon could yet let Wellington get away with an undeserved draw.
Davidson has surprised me. Last time I listened to him he was bowling pies vs Otago in an evening session.

Quickie? How quick?

Spose he has a long way to go though, all our depth is in the bowling so he'll be down the list now that Hadlee has gone from selections meaning random young blokes with talent won't be picked from obscurity (not attacking his policy, just stating a fact).

The cynic in me says if he's any good he'll be injured constantly...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Davidson has surprised me. Last time I listened to him he was bowling pies vs Otago in an evening session.

Quickie? How quick?

Spose he has a long way to go though, all our depth is in the bowling so he'll be down the list now that Hadlee has gone from selections meaning random young blokes with talent won't be picked from obscurity (not attacking his policy, just stating a fact).

The cynic in me says if he's any good he'll be injured constantly...
Oh not fast, I was using the term quickie rather broadly. Just somewhere around Franklin's pace. And yeah, given that he's only played 6 games its a bit silly to start thinking about how he'd do in the national set up. Even if he does manage consistent excellence over the next couple of years, he'll always be 2nd in line behind Franklin. Still, excellent effort all the same.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
What about this Bennett kid? He's only 21 and produced some spell in the first innings taking 7 wickets. But it also goes to show what a green wicket this is, so while bowlers are performing, they are getting a lot of assistance.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett is faster than most in the domestic comp, but he's basically a Harmison type bowler. Relies on bounce, rather than swing, and unfortunately, also like GBH, seems to have a wonky radar. He took 7 wickets, but from what the commentators said it sounded like he was spraying the ball all over the place. Definately a prospect, but one who's a long way from being the finished article.

Flem274*

123/5
What about this Bennett kid? He's only 21 and produced some spell in the first innings taking 7 wickets. But it also goes to show what a green wicket this is, so while bowlers are performing, they are getting a lot of assistance.
I'm a fan but its his first decent performance in a long time. See how he goes for a few years.

And the wicket is actualy more of a batting wicket that has something in it for the bowlers. The batting has just been poor in the first two innings though admittedly in the last two innings the bowling has really gone up a notch. Gillespie showing his day in, day out inconsistenvy as per usual.:laugh:

Good effort by him though.

Not surprised the ball has dominated though, Wellington has no (proper) black caps batsmen and Canterburys (Fulton) is out of nick.