• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From Boult v Starc thread:

itstl. looks fast on footage, and every man and his dog insists he's rapid.

Next televised game is my lot v your lot and we need to get Mathieson in front of the speed gun, because he looks genuinely terrifying when he gets it right. Potentially the best quick in the country, but we'll take that to the domestic thread.
They only showed the speeds for a couple of balls per over. It's possible that he was bowling quicker in-between, but I get the feeling that if he had hit 140, they definitely would've showed it. We all know the faaaaast bowlers get the crowds going.

Agree, he looked quick at the ground too, but then again he was bowling at Michael Papps. We all know that he always ****s himself when facing anything at 135k above waist height.

As a measuring stick, Shaun Tait was clocked at 144, which given that he was still recovering from injury doesn't seem too slow. Still it could be that the stadium was using different speed-gun technology that estimates bowlers at slower speeds.

Flem274*

123/5
From Boult v Starc thread:

They only showed the speeds for a couple of balls per over. It's possible that he was bowling quicker in-between, but I get the feeling that if he had hit 140, they definitely would've showed it. We all know the faaaaast bowlers get the crowds going.

Agree, he looked quick at the ground too, but then again he was bowling at Michael Papps. We all know that he always ****s himself when facing anything at 135k above waist height.

As a measuring stick, Shaun Tait was clocked at 144, which given that he was still recovering from injury doesn't seem too slow. Still it could be that the stadium was using different speed-gun technology that estimates bowlers at slower speeds.
Fair enough. NZers as a rule tend to overestimate pace by 10kph as a rule anyway. We can only go off the speed gun as concrete evidence.

itbt high 130s for a bouncy left armer is more than sufficient if they bowl well, but we'll see how they all clock up over the entirety of the season. I loved Bradley Scott tonight bowling under 120 then in the last over of the match fired in a 137kph yorker.:laugh:

I was gutted Tait didn't hit the 150s. I want to see someone not from CD or important to NZ get roughed up.:ph34r:

Speaking of Papps, we're about to tour South Africa and he hit a double ton. Must be his turn on the merry go round again. World cricket needs Steyn back in top form as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I was gutted Tait didn't hit the 150s. I want to see someone not from CD or important to NZ get roughed up.:ph34r:

Speaking of Papps, we're about to tour South Africa and he hit a double ton. Must be his turn on the merry go round again. World cricket needs Steyn back in top form as well.
144 was still quick enough to send Lou Vincent's middle-stump cartwheeling.

Hah, reckon there's an argument that could be made that Guppy shouldn't go to SA. His technique is a mess, and he won't benefit from 4 single figure scores in the republic. Send a sacrificial lamb (Can Papps catch?) in his place and get Guptill's confidence and technique restored on the Eden Park tarmac.

Flem274*

123/5
How and T Mac are gun in the field.

You just know T Mac will come up with 32 (150) in one innings as well. It's a law of physics.

And if he scored a jammy hundred it would be comedy gold.

iirc someone said in the tour thread the pitch we play our first test on is likely to be slow and low. My first thought upon hearing that was Styris but Papps could fluke 80 odd on that surely?:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
iirc someone said in the tour thread the pitch we play our first test on is likely to be slow and low.:
That would be me, assuming you actually are playing a Test at PE (I haven't seen the schedule). There hasn't been a Test there in ages but the pitches for ODIs there in the last couple of years have been the most un-South African you'll ever see. Steve Smith, JP Duminy and Yuvraj Singh have all had great success there as bowlers against South African, Indian and Australian batting lineups which really says it all.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That would be me, assuming you actually are playing a Test at PE (I haven't seen the schedule). There hasn't been a Test there in ages but the pitches for ODIs there in the last couple of years have been the most un-South African you'll ever see. Steve Smith, JP Duminy and Yuvraj Singh have all had great success there as bowlers against South African, Indian and Australian batting lineups which really says it all.
Huh, so maybe a decent haul on the cards for Jeets then (if he doesn't get replaced by Dan)?

Flem274*

123/5
First test is at Newlands (is that one the road or the green top?) and the second is at PE.

Flem274*

123/5
Our squad gets announced next week btw. Worth making the tour thread now so we can abuse each other before it's announced?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How and T Mac are gun in the field.

You just know T Mac will come up with 32 (150) in one innings as well. It's a law of physics.

And if he scored a jammy hundred it would be comedy gold.

iirc someone said in the tour thread the pitch we play our first test on is likely to be slow and low. My first thought upon hearing that was Styris but Papps could fluke 80 odd on that surely?:ph34r:
Fulton's also made a pretty strong case if Guptill were to be stood down for a couple of months. Just a pity that he's one of the worst fielders I've seen. Given that his hand-eye coordination is obviously fairly good, it's hard to believe that his catching can be so bad.

Flem274*

123/5
I remember spitting fire that we didn't pick Fulton to bat number three in SA all the way back in 2007. How things change.:mellow:

What other domestic journeymen can we suggest? Howsie is reading the thread so we need to wind him up.

Papps
McIntosh
Sinclair
Fulton
Woodcock
Franklin
Hopkins

Field that imo.

edit: I know an awesome fielder we can pick who absolutely no one will care about failing. In fact it will be entertaining.

James Marshall.

Or if we want some entertainment before the nick to the keeper or off stump being uprooted, but still gun fielding, Lou Vincent ftw. Past his best but he can bring the Justin Bieber doll on tour to give motivational speeches again.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First test is at Newlands (is that one the road or the green top?) and the second is at PE.
Yeah, Kippax asked me what the pitch at PE is like these days and that was my answer. Hard to say with it being so long since there was a Test there but I'd be betting on low and slow - by South African standards anyway - for the second Test.

Newlands is hard to predict; it's often fairly close to being a road internationally but it also hosted the famous Australia 47ao game a couple of years back and she was green then, more like the domestic wickets there.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno but Michael Bates should definitely replace Boult to open the bowling with Chris Martin. Those two are ****ing dynamite.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, Kippax asked me what the pitch at PE is like these days and that was my answer. Hard to say with it being so low since there was a Test though but I'd be betting on low and slow - by South African standards anyway - for the second Test.

Newlands is hard to predict; it's often fairly close to being a road internationally but it also hosted the famous Australia 47ao game a couple of years back and she was green then, more like the domestic wickets there.
Haha oh dear God, we're ****ed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My most enduring memory of Fulton as a fielder:

Bond to Plunkett, 2 runs, good grief. This is getting a bit village! A big swing from Plunkett spirals up to square leg, and instead of catching it, Peter Fulton decides to head-butt it! Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, would love seeing Lou back in the team. The current BC's are all so vanilla. Could definitely do with a healthy dose of Vincent's patented brand of bull**** to spice things up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Daryl Tuffey to come out of retirment and be the third seamer.
He's averaging about 10 with the ball for Bankstown in first grade this season, and we all know Sydney first grade is a better competition than the Plunket Shield. Obviously in career best form.