• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IndianOil Cup in Sri Lanka

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Hundred in you know how many innings! Why can't he do this more often? You wouldn't need seven batsmen then!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You thought India have a problem with their bit bowlers, the West Indians haven't done too well themselves. Look at what happened to Deonarine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
aussie said:
100 to Yuvraj & you Indians were saying he should be dropped :p
With good reason though lol. Not to say I'm not pleased, but he manages to do it all the time just when people start getting on his back for him to be dropped. :p

Anyway, well done Yuvraj and Kaif. Dug us out of a big hole, and with India getting the highest score this tournament so far, we're in a good position after looking down the drain at 3/51 and Ganguly retired hurt.

Let's bowl well now. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
Kaif...can't....hit. He's done his job, so now it's hit out or get out.
DHONI CAN THOUGH! :D

6 off the last ball. Well done son! 262/4, brilliant effort considering where we were at.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jono said:
DHONI CAN THOUGH! :D

6 off the last ball. Well done son! 262/4, brilliant effort considering where we were at.

I can't believe they picked Laxman and left oout JP Yadav
All this talk about no fifth bowler/ no allrounder and JP Yadav hasn't played a game !!!!!

Laxman's a good test player but I just don't think he's suited for ODIS.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
With good reason though lol. Not to say I'm not pleased, but he manages to do it all the time just when people start getting on his back for him to be dropped.
Yeah certainly seems like so.. so how long till the next fine performance then :p?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thank God for spirited batting by an Indian team after so long even if it was against a depleted Windies.

If two batsmen had to finally come good in what has been a poor batting performance otherwise in this tournament, thank God it was Yuvraj and Kaif. With Raina already out of the team, these two, if they were also dropped for continual failure would have meant the worse possible fielding side from India which is something for what is almost always an average fielding side in the best of times.

Laxman, Kumble and Ganguly are seniors who would really test the skipper's ingenuity to hide them in the field. Having all three in the team is a problem when fielding.

We may have seen the last of Laxman in the limited over format. It might be good for him to announce that he would retire from the limited over game and concentrate on tests. He has a few years of test cricket left and it is heart rending to see such a quality player look so out of his depth.

He owes it to himself to make the job easier for the selectors.

I am a great fan of Laxman but even the most devoted fans must be pained to see him fail repeatedly. If he had been a Yuvraj or kaif in the out field at least he would have loked only as bad as the youngsters on the bench who may also fail. As it is, he is embarassing himself and his legions of fans.

Last edited:

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Thank God for spirited batting by an Indian team after so long even if it was against a depleted Windies.

If two batsmen had to finally come good in what has been a poor batting performance otherwise in this tournament, thank God it was Yuvraj and Kaif. With TRaina already out of the team, these two, if they were also droped for continual failure would have meant the worse possible fielding side even an average fielding side in the best of times would have left.

Laxman, Kumble and Ganguly are seniors who would realy test the skiper's ingenuity to hide them in the field.

We may have seen the last of Laxman in the limited over format. It might be good for him to announce that he would retire from the limited over game and concentrate on tests. He has a few years of test cricket left and it is heart rending to see such a quality player look so out of his depth.

He owes it to himself to make the job easier for the selectors.

I am a great fan of Laxman but even the most devoted fans must be pained to see him fail repeatedly. If he had been a Yuvraj or kaif in the out field at least he would have loked only as bad as the youngsters on the bench who may also fail. As it is, he is embarassing himself and his legions of fans.
Spot on about Laxman. I would replace him with JP Yadav and see how he goes. At least he gives you a genuine fifth bowling option.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
GermanShepherd said:
I can't believe they picked Laxman and left oout JP Yadav
All this talk about no fifth bowler/ no allrounder and JP Yadav hasn't played a game !!!!!

Laxman's a good test player but I just don't think he's suited for ODIS.
Cowards....they'll bat him somewhere at eight and give him three overs, then drop him saying bench strength isn't good enough.

I'm not sure what any of you would do as coach, but I would back JP Yadav and Irfan Pathan as strike bowlers (ten overs each) and encourage them to smash everything out of the park when they come out to bat.

Kaif batted well when he built that massive partnerhsip with Yuvraj. People may say what they think but these two make a very good combination and if they apply themselves well enough, they can play many a big innings in ODI's.

Unfortunately, Kaif ruined an otherwise good performace by hogging the strike in the final overs, when they needed striker Dhoni to get as much strike as possible.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
Kaif batted well when he built that massive partnerhsip with Yuvraj. People may say what they think but these two make a very good combination and if they apply themselves well enough, they can play many a big innings in ODI's.
I don't think anyone has ever questioned both player's talents (especially myself with Kaif, who I've backed for years and will continue to back for a long itme). As you've said, they just need to apply themselves. When they do, they perform. Especially in the limited overs format, they're brilliant. Top class fielders, good batsman (whilst different in nature), its all good when they're in form and getting runs. If they just do it more consistently (especially Yuvraj, Kaif was in a consistent patch last year for some time) ever Indian fan would rejoice. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
100 to Yuvraj & you Indians were saying he should be dropped :p
Before this his highest score in the year was 38 !

If he had been dropped it wouldnt have surprised anyone. Thats how it is isnt it? The selectors cant go by the possibility that a player may(probably will) eventually come good, but rather how long they should persist with failure before resting a player.

Great for him and team India though.

He must stick to number five once Sachin comes back and Kaif to six (unless we go ahead with five regular bowlers. This is where they are at their best and this is what works best for India.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's just hope Zaheer tears down the track and blasts the stuffing out of the Windies the way Harmison did against the Aussies. He's at his best (Test at Hedlingley, 2002) when he does that.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's just hope Zaheer gets five wickets. He is the team's most accomplished seam bowler and he should try hard for one.