• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Solid stuff from India. Thought England actually bowled okay, but it just shows you don't have to go at 4 and 5 an over in order to boss the opposition. A little bit of grit is good. If I were India I wouldn't think about declaring today. They need to try and grind England's bowlers into the dirt. Anderson and Broad are tired and Stokes is limping (no sympathy). Give Ashwin as much time as he needs to be in bowling shape.
Dead right about not declaring today. The fact that Root is bowling suggests that he's given up any hope of bowling India out and wants to protect his quicks from being over-worked. Either that or he thinks Kohli and Pujara are susceptible to part-time off-spin.

My guess is he'll declare at lunchtime tomorrow with a lead of about 650. Five sessions will be way more than enough to win the game.
The only point of interest now is how many India will win by. And what the record margins of victory are, as this one could really challenge them. 500 runs really isn't our of the question.

This does rather show up the folks who were suggesting 5-0; clearly they haven't seen much of this England team. Based on this match, 3-2 to India is the likeliest result. From an English pov, the only crumb of comfort is that this wouldn't be the first time they've performed abysmally and then come back stronger for no apparent reason. Trent Bridge against SA last year springs to mind, as does the first test against Pakistan in May. And obviously the Lord's test against India last time they toured.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This does rather show up the folks who were suggesting 5-0; clearly they haven't seen much of this England team. Based on this match, 3-2 to India is the likeliest result. From an English pov, the only crumb of comfort is that this wouldn't be the first time they've performed abysmally and then come back stronger for no apparent reason. Trent Bridge against SA last year springs to mind, as does the first tests against Pakistan in May. And obviously the Lord's test against India last time they toured.
The Gambhiring is high from all sides this series it seems.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The Gambhiring is high from all sides this series it seems.
:D

But I did say based on this match tbf. And based on how England have played so far, Bangladesh would fancy their chances against us at Southampton and The Oval.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way Pujara dominated Steyn and Philander after a slow start was awesome. Shame he hasn't replicated that overseas since.
That was an amazing day of Test cricket.. first match since Sachin's retirement, for the new kids on the block to show that they'd arrived... shame they couldn't bowl SA out on day 5 though.

Borges

International Regular
These two could get going now, if they wanted. Get to a lead of 500 quickly and then declare, I say.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hearing Bairstow with a broken finger. The test continues to head south for England. These two gonna get centuries too.

Borges

International Regular
They said that Bairstow is back at the ground, and will bat 'if necessary' (that means will bat, surely)..