• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Demeza, I am so sorry mate. My computer has been broken and I've been unable to get back onto the internet until now. I'm happy to keep going with the ODI series and I'll start compiling stats for the test series.

Perm

Run-Fest Ends In Draw

The deck was flat, the outfield was fast and the sun was shining. Just the kind of pitch that the batsman wanted to be playing on but also one that offered the bowlers a reasonable amount of bounce. After winning the toss, Indian captain Rahul Dravid made the smart choice to bat first but would have been extremely disappointed with his team's batting performance as they were bundled out for 267, the skipper himself making a fine century with assistance coming from Harbhajan Singh, who struck a quick fire 55 from only 56 deliveries faced. Lasith Malinga and Chamina Vaas were the main weapons, taking 9 wickets between them, Malinga ending up with figures of 5/86 while Muttiah Muralitharan's 18 overs were played away with relative ease by the Indian batsman.

In return Sri Lanka amassed 495, with ten of their batsman getting into double figures. Youngster Chamara Silva led the way with 105 while the two Jayawardene's, Mahela and Prasanna both hit half centuries. The Indian bowling was woeful, conceding over 40 extras that included 19 no-balls and 9 wides. Irfan Pathan returned figures of 3/162 but was easily the most expensive and wayward of the bowlers. India were required to score 218 more runs before Sri Lanka had to bat again and they duly impression, Virender Sehwag and Wasim Jaffer putting on over 200 for the first wicket before Jaffer was lbw to Malinga on 93. Sehwag went on to make 123 and was helped with half centuries to Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar.

India eventually declared with the score at 469/5 with Sri Lanka chasing 241 for victory. Opener Sanath Jayasuriya got them off to a flying start, slashing 52 from just 37, an innings that included six 4's and one 6. After being dropped by Dhoni on 18 he had no trouble hitting out before eventually being dismissed by Anil Kumble. Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene batted very slowly for his 38 and some responsibility for not being able to chase down the total must lay on his shoulders. Chamara Kapugedara was also dropped early but put that out of his mind as he cleared the boundary four times on his way to 65* but the Sri Lankan's will be rueing their inability to take their chances and win the series.

India 1st innings 267 all out
Dravid 101, Harbhajan Singh 55
Malinga 5-86, Vaas 4-79

Sri Lanka 495 all out
Silva 105, M Jayawardene 86, P Jayawardene 69
Pathan 3-162

India 2nd innings 469/5 dec
Sehwag 123, Jaffer 93, Tendulkar 84, Dravid 73
Malinga 2-116

Sri Lanka 2nd innings 217/4
Kapugedara 65*, Jayasuriya 52
Kumble 2-67

Match Drawn

MOTM: Dravid

Attachments

Last edited:

Perm

He's a youngster in International cricket, only played two test's before this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Haha Prasanna Jayawardene scored some runs, India bowling must really suck. Mind you he scored a 100 against a similar Indian attack for Sri Lanka A, a couple years back.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Scorecard
Commentary

The Ganguly and Tendulkar show deny Sri Lanka
Partners in crime Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar decimated the Sri Lankan attack with a massive 227 run partnership for the second wicket against an attack that, on paper, should've done better.
The class of the players outshone even Murali who went wicketless in his ten overs, while Vaas and Malinga were at least respectable as their friend Maharoof was carted at 7 runs an over.
Malinga struck early to remove Uthappa. 227 runs later he managed to beat the Little Master's defences.
In reply, Sri Lanka looked to get after the runs lead by Jayasuriya. he was let down by his partner Tharanga who only managed 18 from 43 deliveries. In the end, India just had to keep it tight to deny the Sri Lankans victory despite a great effort from Atapattu whose 106 would ultimately end up being in vain.

India 3 for 299 (50.0)
S Ganguly 135*, S Tendulkar 111
S Malinga 2-55, C Vaas 1-43

Sri Lanka 4 for 251 (50.0)
M Atapattu 106, D Jayawardene 60*
Z Khan 2-45, H Singh 1-47

India won by 48 runs

Man of the match: S Ganguly

Attachments

Travis_Teh

International Regular
I've simmed a few of these games ... should be finished by now, really.

Haven't had the chance to handball the reports to be written up, though. I'll have a crack at writing them over the next few days (busy schedule atm) if i can't handball.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Dravid Demolishes Sri Lanka

Indian captain Rahul Dravid dominated the Sri Lankan bowling lineup making 119 off just 99 balls to set up the Indian total of 301. Ganguly and Tendulkar were also in the runs with an extremely well made 80 not out from Ganguly and an explosive 50 from Tendulkar opening the batting.

The Sri Lankan woes continued as they sank to an all out total of 193. Five ducks were on the scorecard and the highest contributions were made from opening combination Jayasuriya and Tharanga with 76 and 56 apiece. Sri Lanka collapsed from being 1 for 105 to all out for 193. Harbhajan Singh the standout bowler claiming 5.

India lead the best of seven series two to nil.

India 301-3 (50 overs)
R Dravid 119 (99), SC Ganguly 80 (91), SR Tendulkar 50 (55)
M Muralitharan 1-50 (10)

Sri Lanka 193 all out (42.5 overs)
ST Jayasuriya 76 (85), WU Tharanga 56 (69)
Harbhajan Singh 5-46 (10), IK Pathan 3-28 (10)

India won by 108 runs
Man of the Match: R Dravid

Attachments