• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Euro 2008

Tom Halsey

International Coach
:laugh:

And how many managers in England play 4-5-1 these days?
Not entirely relevant, United play mostly a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1/whatever you want to call it and they still play attacking football.

English football is still infinitely more interesting than Italian football IMO, we get Italian domestic stuff over here, Channel 5 IIRC (?), not entirely sure as I've only watched it once or twice before deciding I didn't want to be bored rigid.

I'm sure there are exceptions that weren't the the couple of matches I watched, but deary me, the general style is not to my liking.

Craig

World Traveller
Not entirely relevant, United play mostly a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1/whatever you want to call it and they still play attacking football.

English football is still infinitely more interesting than Italian football IMO, we get Italian domestic stuff over here, Channel 5 IIRC (?), not entirely sure as I've only watched it once or twice before deciding I didn't want to be bored rigid.

I'm sure there are exceptions that weren't the the couple of matches I watched, but deary me, the general style is not to my liking.
Well that is how Manchester United play (attacking football) so no problems, but it is no more dire when you see clubs just play long ball express to the big burly striker up front, there are times I can't watch Liverpool or Chelsea because of it. I mean I found watching Inter beat Roma in September far more interesting (not saying that because Inter won 4-1) then when I saw Liverpool play Wigan from a pub in Prague.

Agree that some game can be as boring as bat**** IMO. And I can think of a few Italian games I have watched and were not boring.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
depends who's playing tbh, if its Roma then you usually get a reasonavle game I find, if its one of the Milan sides then it is usually fairly dull.

yeah indeed, for long periods of last season (06-07) Arsenal played 4-5-1 for the periods when Henry was out injured, and imo played a lot better that way.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Thing is, football is boring as when you're a neutral.
Agree to an extent... if the game in general is boring to the neutral, but you're a fan of one of the sides playing, it is less boring.

However, if you get a good game, it's a generally superior watching experience to be a neutral IMO, if United are participating in an end to end game for instance I am generally too nervous (depending on the importance of the game) to enjoy it much.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well that is how Manchester United play (attacking football) so no problems, but it is no more dire when you see clubs just play long ball express to the big burly striker up front, there are times I can't watch Liverpool or Chelsea because of it.
Chelsea are shocking to watch play, I can honestly see no reason for wanting to watch them other than being a Chelsea fan.

For all Liverpool's evil, I don't mind watching them tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yep, should have mentioned Roma, play decent football IMO.
Funny thing about them though, is the fact that you can watch them in a serie A game and they will look like a really decent side, only for them to look extremely mediocre in the champions league, doesnt say a lot for the quality of the italian domestic scene really.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yes, but even in the European Cup I don't mind watching them, as when they're undone it tends to be due to defensive problems, while they still look decent going forward.

They also looked very good against Real - which says something about Spanish football at the moment, as well.

Craig

World Traveller
What about Valencia? Sure upsets can happen, but getting done twice by Rosenberg, I mean what the?

In terms of leagues to watch I generally find the German and Dutch leagues fun to watch, obviously it is a lower standard then the EPL or La Liga (and I like to watch that more) but at least you know what you are getting beforehand.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Valencia have been very very poor this season, how Koeman has managed to keep his job is anyones guess, the fact that they are likely to lose pretty much all of their decent players in the summer means things won't get much better in the immediate future. They have inexplicably underperformed this season, drastically, a shame, because I always quite liked them in previous years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What about Valencia? Sure upsets can happen, but getting done twice by Rosenberg, I mean what the?

In terms of leagues to watch I generally find the German and Dutch leagues fun to watch, obviously it is a lower standard then the EPL or La Liga (and I like to watch that more) but at least you know what you are getting beforehand.
I really enjoy watching the J league for some reason, would love to go to a match in Japan, fans just seem really friendly and really into the game, great atmosphere by the looks of things, and its a fun watch.

Craig

World Traveller
Valencia have been very very poor this season, how Koeman has managed to keep his job is anyones guess, the fact that they are likely to lose pretty much all of their decent players in the summer means things won't get much better in the immediate future. They have inexplicably underperformed this season, drastically, a shame, because I always quite liked them in previous years.
I thought Koeman got sacked? I think it a lot of stemmed down to the fact that likes of Moretti, Morenties etc. did not like players like Silva, Joaquin and Albelda (Albelda called up Silva, Joaquin, Vicente etc. to testify in his law suit against the club and the president called up Moretti, Morenties etc. to testify against Albelda and his mates), it is no wonder they were screwed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I thought Koeman got sacked? I think it a lot of stemmed down to the fact that likes of Moretti, Morenties etc. did not like players like Silva, Joaquin and Albelda (Albelda called up Silva, Joaquin, Vicente etc. to testify in his law suit against the club and the president called up Moretti, Morenties etc. to testify against Albelda and his mates), it is no wonder they were screwed.
haha wasnt aware of any of this, feel a bit sorry for Koeman in light of this information, but he still made a balls of it, and if he got sacked, then it was well deserved.

But if everything about that court case is accurate, then like you say, its no wonder they were screwed, the entire thing sounds completely unprofessional and simply farcical to me.

Steulen

International Regular
disagree tbh, the match between the Netherlands and Czech republic at Euro 2004 was one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen.
Talk about one of the great matches of all time. The one of which then BBC pundit Peter Schmeichel famously said: they should release it on DVD as a course on how football should be played. (not a direct quote, but that's what he said, by and large).

I watched that match and hardly cared that the Dutch lost having been 2-0 up as it was such a brilliant game from two teams playing at the top of their abilities.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Talk about one of the great matches of all time. The one of which then BBC pundit Peter Schmeichel famously said: they should release it on DVD as a course on how football should be played. (not a direct quote, but that's what he said, by and large).

I watched that match and hardly cared that the Dutch lost having been 2-0 up as it was such a brilliant game from two teams playing at the top of their abilities.
havent seen a match that good since tbh.

Chubb

International Regular
havent seen a match that good since tbh.
I don't like football that much, and even I loved that match. Though I think I have seen one better match since- Mexico vs. Argentina in 2006.

I'm supporting Poland- they did well in qualifying, no major stars but an organised team. They might do well. I'd like Portugal to win as well though, I like Portuguese football.

Last edited: