• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I like Raval but at this point looks like his selection might make it just too easy for Starc and co.

Meridio

International Regular
Oh Jeet.

Got a bit of a bad feeling about this game. We've looked flat all test, and it only takes a couple of quick wickets for the nerves to settle in.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Raval but at this point looks like his selection might make it just too easy for Starc and co.
I think with him and Starc it could turn into a c. Guptill b. Martin sort of vibe real quick.

nzfan

No matter what Jeet is trying he's getting out. Opener's is a very tough job in test cricket. You can never win in that spot, even the great Cook, Smith etc failed at a stretch. Got to feel for Jeet when after that 100 vs Bangladesh I thought he'll now score heaps of 100s.

ataraxia

International Coach
Something tells me Raval will not be a success against Starc and Hazlewood (I would say Cummins as well, but I don't think he'll last till Cummins gets a bowl). Next cab off the rank is?
IMO put Greg Hay in for a bit until Young, Conway, and Ravindra enter the frame. Seifert another option but I'd prefer the experience of Hay.

The Hutt Rec

IMO put Greg Hay in for a bit until Young, Conway, and Ravindra enter the frame. Seifert another option but I'd prefer the experience of Hay.
Probably the best option in the circumstances.

I don’t think we can send Raval over, it would destroy him in his current state.

Moss

Something tells me Raval will not be a success against Starc and Hazlewood (I would say Cummins as well, but I don't think he'll last till Cummins gets a bowl). Next cab off the rank is?
Rutherford I believe, he was on standby when KW was in doubt. My guess is they won't backtrack on a squad already selected. Has Jeet earned himself a long rope or do you wait for another test or 2 before deciding? Wouldn't want to be a selector in this situation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That Raval thing happening in the same Test as all their absolutely diabolical commentary about the Ross Taylor review has made me so happy. They've decided to not publically connect the dots, but lol.

If there was anyone in the box with the stones to call them out in the first dig he'd be absolutely strutting around the place about now.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That Raval thing happening in the same Test as all their absolutely diabolical commentary about the Ross Taylor review has made me so happy. They've decided to not publically connect the dots, but lol.

If there was anyone in the box with the stones to call them out in the first dig he'd be absolutely strutting around the place about now.
Wait what's happening, I dropped in right after the Taylor incident the other day and missed this. Is Ian Smith going on one of his pleasant half hour tirades?

nzfan

Jeet Raval will get another gig in Aussie before they will dump him I feel. We don't have a better replacement at the moment. I hope they don't use Ravindra as an opener in future. He looks like a very free flowing batsman and will not fulfill his potential opening the batting in long format. Dare may I say Ravindra by all account I've seen will be one of the very best if he bats middle order in the long format. Besides he can bowl very well and I'm hoping in couple of years they will ease him into middle order. Young should slot in as an opener ideally.

The Hutt Rec

Actually Hay hasn’t been in great form this season, so perhaps he’s not the short-term solution either. Seven innings without a 50.

Not sure if Richardson was in the box when that happened, but he was saying yesterday that he had edges he didn’t feel in his career. Specifically mentioned when he got sawn off in the 90s in the first innings at Lords in 04.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wait what's happening, I dropped in right after the Taylor incident the other day and missed this. Is Ian Smith going on one of his pleasant half hour tirades?
Even though Taylor reviewed, it was pretty clear at the time that he wasn't aware that he'd hit it, and the commentators at the time took this as absolutely definintive evidence that he didn't hit it despite the recording on snicko and the small mark on HotSpot. I spat the dummy in here about them refusing to let go of their dire 20th century "the batsman always knows when he's hit it" hubris.

Three days later in the very same Test and we have that Raval moment. Despite that, the commentators have refused to revist their statements on the Ross Taylor review, where if he did hit it (and he did) it was a much smaller edge than that one that Raval wasn't sure of. Pack of muppets.

Flem274*

123/5
Jeet Raval will get another gig in Aussie before they will dump him I feel. We don't have a better replacement at the moment. I hope they don't use Ravindra as an opener in future. He looks like a very free flowing batsman and will not fulfill his potential opening the batting in long format. Dare may I say Ravindra by all account I've seen will be one of the very best if he bats middle order in the long format. Besides he can bowl very well and I'm hoping in couple of years they will ease him into middle order. Young should slot in as an opener ideally.
rachin has opened his entire life and young has been middle order until nz a experimented with him

it would be peak mid 00s nz to swap them, and easily the wrong decision

nzfan

What Raval thing? Did I miss anything?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Was in meeting. Came back to check how opening partnership was going. Raval out second ball - shocked face. Shocked.