• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kookaburra just doesn't swing anymore IMO. Besides the rare one.
The duke hasn't swung as much in recent seasons either. Even bowlers like Anderson are relying more and more on seam movement and the wobble seam delivery. Barely anyone even tried to swing the ball in the Ashes.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Both sides have put down plenty of catches and missed run outs in this match too, would easily have been a result if they’d all been taken.

Flem274*

123/5
Kooka turf ball seam is flat... we should be done with Kookaburra for test matches. They suit white ball cricket fine. Given our conditions we should be ideally using Dukes. Kooka is an Aussie ball made to suit Aussie dry conditions not NZ Wet and slow decks.
no we shouldn't, and definitely not in fc cricket

it would make it easier for duke countries to adapt to us, and push us further away from australia and south africa.

we're already very hard to tour for most countries. i guarantee you the current indian attack will do better than england here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
omg just saw that drop, that's amazing :lol:

I thought Archer took it surprisingly well. Laugh, cry, both at the same time, better than screaming at the fielder I guess.

England had a good opportunity to put pressure on NZ this morning and by dropping Williamson twice they've blown it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
omg just saw that drop, that's amazing :lol:

I thought Archer took it surprisingly well. Laugh, cry, both at the same time, better than screaming at the fielder I guess.

England had a good opportunity to put pressure on NZ this morning and by dropping Williamson twice they've blown it.
Saw it online? I'm hunting for a look, I hear it was up there as one of the greatest ****ups of all time

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha, the old 'death of Test cricket' rears its pathetic, predictable, gormless head again. George Dobell in one of the most laughable rants I've ever read.

Apart from everything else, this might be the worst analogy of all time:

"They get results in the end like at Mt Maunganui…(but) a rock fall can be quite dramatic, it could be good TV, but a thousand years of erosion which caused it isn't good TV and I don't think the end justifies the terribly attritional means.

WTF does that even mean? And the word 'modernity' after it, as some sort of signal of intellect?

Absolutely smacks of recency bias 'the worst series he's seen in 20 years' (OK....). The first Test was ****ing great. This one, yeah OK not the greatest spectacle of all time. But how many dropped catches have there been?

Then the writer goes on about no one flocking in to see Joe Root tuck off his hip or leave outside off stump. This confirms to me he has no idea, and potentially hasn't actually watched Test cricket in his life. The England captain who's battled incredibly for 18 months scores a potentially career altering double hundred, and Dobell says it's boring? Cmon man.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
haha yeah bj and mitchell really sucked the life out of the second day. cynically killing a game we're getting killed in is one of bjs greatest strengths.
It was partly because NZ were in big trouble at 170/5, so they did need to avoid risks for a while to recover. Probably wouldn't have score quite so slowly if weren't 1-0 up, sure. At the same time, England did bowl tight and every time from an NZ batsman tried to force the pace from there, they got out.

I do think the pitch has been too flat, it's just the whingeing about how this is bad for New Zealand cricket and Bad For The Game (TM) and Not Good Entertainment etc. That's complete garbage.

Also any pitch curator has to consider that 99% of the time, the ball swings in Hamilton, so additional pitch movement could result in a 2 day game. At this time of the year the ball usually swings at most pitches in NZ so you can understand why the pitches have been made on the flatter side.

In any case, the scores haven't been crazy large and the bowlers have still been able to produce some very good, wicket-taking deliveries.
Agree - it is annoying though that ball-swings/ ball-does-not-swing seems to have become such a binary thing in NZ, with the latter case more common and it really is hard to get wickets then. Personally I'd prefer the pitches were a bit quicker at least.

Both sides have put down plenty of catches and missed run outs in this match too, would easily have been a result if they’d all been taken.
And this is true as well, between this and better weather we should still be in a position for a result one way or another on day five here.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Taylor feels like he's been around forever but Root, who has been playing Test cricket just over half the time Taylor has, has more runs in 7 fewer innings

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor feels like he's been around forever but Root, who has been playing Test cricket just over half the time Taylor has, has more runs in 7 fewer innings
England do play 100 Tests a year tbf. All of them more interesting than this one too.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Broad's played almost twice the number of tests that Southee has too, having debuted at a similar time.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still annoyed that Cricinfo replaced their handy statistics tab during a game with some detailed 'where batsmen are strongest' setup which I personally don't give a **** about

Flem274*

123/5
hm do i go to the ground now and see 15 minutes before lunch or go during lunch and risk missing some milestones live?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The rock avalanche thing was from the switch hit podcast a week or so ago? Has he repeated it?