• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

adharcric

International Coach
Looking Ahead to the Mumbai Test

For England: Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard, Harmison and Panesar should play. Plunkett wasn't even bowled in this match, he was a bit of a waste just as was the case with Chawla for India. Either England should go in with a seamer who they have more confidence in (Anderson, confidence?), a second spinner (Udal, but he sucks?) or an extra batsman (Shah, perhaps?).

For India: Jaffer, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Pathan, Kumble, Munaf should play. If it's a turning track, Harbhajan must play. Then the final spot can either go to Sreesanth, who would complete a potent pace trio, or an extra batsman (Kaif over Laxman perhaps). Then again, if it's a serious turner, they may go with Chawla again and stick with "the winning combination".

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Santh should come in , he should be a regular member of Indian pace attack along with Munaf and Pathan. Pathan is useful with the bat too so he too should be persisted with.

adharcric

International Coach
IndianByHeart said:
Santh should come in , he should be a regular member of Indian pace attack along with Munaf and Pathan. Pathan is useful with the bat too so he too should be persisted with.
So would you take Harbhajan or a sixth batsman (Kaif or Laxman)?

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
So would you take Harbhajan or a sixth batsman (Kaif or Laxman)?
I like the look of Chawla, though he hasn't done much in this match but i would like to see him play again, so i would probably like Harb to be dropped.

Though bhajji played a brilliant know the other day.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
adharcric said:
For England: Strauss, Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard, Harmison and Panesar should play. Plunkett wasn't even bowled in this match, he was a bit of a waste just as was the case with Chawla for India. Either England should go in with a seamer who they have more confidence in (Anderson, confidence?), a second spinner (Udal, but he sucks?) or an extra batsman (Shah, perhaps?).

For India: Jaffer, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Pathan, Kumble, Munaf should play. If it's a turning track, Harbhajan must play. Then the final spot can either go to Sreesanth, who would complete a potent pace trio, or an extra batsman (Kaif over Laxman perhaps). Then again, if it's a serious turner, they may go with Chawla again and stick with "the winning combination".

If I were England, I'd play an extra batsman in place of Plunkett....may sound defensive but none of Plunkett, Blackwell or Udal are going to trouble the Indians with their bowling so why bother playing them......

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Monty Panesar for his age is one of the worst fielders I have ever seen. His attempt to catch Dravid a moment ago was only :laugh: able.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
A win by 9 wkts.

Excellent performance by Indians, played like professionals.

If i'm not wrong, i believe India would climb to number two spot on ICC test table if they beat England 2-0.I think that is very much likely and India should go for it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
I love it, Pathan can't bat? Hits a run-a-ball 50 which puts the English on the back foot, and changes the match.

Then the judgment of Patel after only 1 spell (his first ever), and he bowls superbly with some beautiful reverse swing.

What India needs next is the English to start claiming Sachin is well past it and him being in the team aids the English. Hopefully that'll get Sachin in some form ;)
1) Pathan should have been out for 8

2) Wasn't Sanz who wrote Munaf off?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
jamesryfler said:
If I were England, I'd play an extra batsman in place of Plunkett....may sound defensive but none of Plunkett, Blackwell or Udal are going to trouble the Indians with their bowling so why bother playing them......
I'd play Anderson. Someone will counter this with "but then we've got a long tail. No one can bat 8." To the people who think that: look how well Plunkett and Blackwell did with the bat. The difference is negligible.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Excellent indeed, not entirely happy with England's performance with the bat, but India made the most of our failings which is what it's all about. Great to see some cricket after the earlier wash out, and now I can finally get some kip (until Thursday!).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
steds said:
I'd play Anderson. Someone will counter this with "but then we've got a long tail. No one can bat 8." To the people who think that: look how well Plunkett and Blackwell did with the bat. The difference is negligible.

Yes I think Jimmy Anderson would be a decent option given that Mumbai has been known to offer a fair bit of assistance to swing bowlers

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well deserved victory for India, bowled very well considering there isn’t much turn or life in the pitch, are boys struggled to get in on a relatively easy paced wicket. People like Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell (regardless of his 50) and Andrew Strauss were all walking wickets for the Indian bowlers and if you can’t get make no more than 300 batting first on such a track, you deserve to lose.

Kudos also to Munaf Patel, bowled exceptionally well with the older ball and looks a real talent hopefully he can live up to it, unlike so many Indian fast bowlers of the past, who were the epitome of a fly by night.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
jamesryfler said:
Yes I think Jimmy Anderson would be a decent option given that Mumbai has been known to offer a fair bit of assistance to swing bowlers
Its a dust bowl supposedly, if so then Shaun Udal should play. :-O

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Credit to Blackwell, he did manger to bowl a few decent overs, whilst Liam Plunkett firstly was nonexistent with the bat and secondly couldn't bowl two delivers without slipping in the half volley, the guy has no rhythm his here, there and everywhere with his length.