• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** County Cricket 2019

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought Banton looked pretty good in the U19 World Cup, can see him making the English limited overs setup in the short to medium term future. His game awareness leaves a bit to be desired though, played a piss poor reverse to hand his wicket away in the U19WC quarter final, once that happened it created an opening for Lloyd Pope to absolutely destroy the remainder of the England U19 batting lineup

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was at the Derbyshire vs Leicestershire match on Thursday. My first observation was that Cosgrove is absolutely massive. Thereafter that Derbyshire really are as hopeless as one would expect.

Sunday I'll be at Day 1 of the Surrey vs Hampshire match. Anyone else from these parts going?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A few thoughts from today's play at The Oval.

Rikki Clarke's performance was remarkable for a 37 year old. His five-for was well deserved. Could have had more actually.
Sam Curran bowled rather better than his figures suggest. One dropped catch, a few edges through the slips and several plays & misses.
Morne Morkel looked like his figures have suggested this season. Still a good bowler, but not the threat he was. After scalping the batsman with the first ball of the innings, he didn't pose much of a threat much. Good delivery to remove Vince tbf.
Vince was textbook Vince. A string of attractive shots to get a start, then the runs dried up as if he was trying too hard not to give it away. Then dropped at second slip and caught behind off a decent Morkel delivery.
Sam Northeast didn't pick the best of times to be dismissed for 2.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Absolute garbage so far from Surrey this morning, yet again unable to polish of a tail. if they do ever manage to take the last two Hampshire wickets, I wonder whether Sam Curran will bat up the order as he's being replaced by noted rabbit Mckerr tomorrow and Wednesday.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Absolute garbage so far from Surrey this morning, yet again unable to polish of a tail. if they do ever manage to take the last two Hampshire wickets, I wonder whether Sam Curran will bat up the order as he's being replaced by noted rabbit Mckerr tomorrow and Wednesday.
A 100 opening the batting and he couldn't find himself batting in the top 3 for England. Wouldn't be a wise move but i could still see it happening.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A 100 opening the batting and he couldn't find himself batting in the top 3 for England. Wouldn't be a wise move but i could still see it happening.
Looking at Surrey's line-up, Curran is as equipped as anyone to open with Stoneman. If he bats in his normal position, he may well not bat at all and instead we see Conor Mckerr. I wonder whether Foakes sees it that way; maybe not as I thought his captaincy was fairly uninspired yesterday. And at present it's all hypothetical anyway as we don't look like taking the 9th wicket. :ph34r:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Any lancs fans on here? How high does Vilas rate with your overseas players. He has been outstanding ever since he came in all formats, every time I check a score card he has scored runs

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Any lancs fans on here? How high does Vilas rate with your overseas players. He has been outstanding ever since he came in all formats, every time I check a score card he has scored runs
Not terrible but nowhere near. 2 seasons in division 1 he had one standout innings each year and then was poor the rest of the year. Obviously on a different level this year and hopefully he carries it on but it is division 2.

On another note wonder when the last time was a player got dropped the game after taking a 10 fer was. Would hate to lose Parkinson but couldn't blame him for looking around given the lack of opportunity we are giving him in FC cricket.

cpr

International Coach
Wasn't he out with a broken jaw for the start of the season That'll have limited games in the first stint of the campaign.

Also how spin friendly is this pitch? We only bowled Maxwell for 3 overs, and Patel seems to be the 5th choice from Glamorgan, bowling because we've batted long and taken chunks out of Carey

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't he out with a broken jaw for the start of the season That'll have limited games in the first stint of the campaign.

Also how spin friendly is this pitch? We only bowled Maxwell for 3 overs, and Patel seems to be the 5th choice from Glamorgan, bowling because we've batted long and taken chunks out of Carey

He missed the first game through injury but then we had the break for the OD trophy and he came back during that so he's played 1 of the 10 games he's been available for, including one where Parry played ahead of him and 2 others where we failed to bowl the opposition out on the last day (including one where Livingstone bowled 36 overs and 63 in the match).

But the issue is he can't bat, all of Lancs. front line pacers are number 11s, Livingstone (& Maxwell) are better than part time spin options and none of Lamb/Bohannan/Jennings are anywhere near good enough to be 3rd seamer given the other options Lancs. have.

Bailey/Gleeson/Onions/Mahmood/Anderson, none of them are ever going to be good enough to bat 8 (9 is still too high), so is he going to be happy being a star in OD cricket and playing 1/2 FC games a year?

Chubb

International Regular
If I was ever going to fly around the world to watch a domestic cricket match, it would be for Somerset v Essex at Taunton with the County Championship on the line. But you know if I did that it would be a washout.

cpr

International Coach
He missed the first game through injury but then we had the break for the OD trophy and he came back during that so he's played 1 of the 10 games he's been available for, including one where Parry played ahead of him and 2 others where we failed to bowl the opposition out on the last day (including one where Livingstone bowled 36 overs and 63 in the match).

But the issue is he can't bat, all of Lancs. front line pacers are number 11s, Livingstone (& Maxwell) are better than part time spin options and none of Lamb/Bohannan/Jennings are anywhere near good enough to be 3rd seamer given the other options Lancs. have.

Bailey/Gleeson/Onions/Mahmood/Anderson, none of them are ever going to be good enough to bat 8 (9 is still too high), so is he going to be happy being a star in OD cricket and playing 1/2 FC games a year?
Bailey seems to be able to point the bat the right way, a smattering of 50s so far (a decent one against Northants this season too), but agree on the rest. Makes it odd we brought in Maxwell over a seam all rounder. I do worry that Lamb and Bohannan are from the Luke Proctor/Jordan Clark school of absolutely mundane no 8/dobblers. It's always teams full of those players that see us straight back down again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone here know much about Essex's Sam Cook? All I know is that cricinfo describe him as 'RF' rather than 'RMF', which is rare in itself, and that his track record at a still young age is impressive. I'm not suggesting for a moment that he should tour this winter, but maybe we have a genuine prospect here.