• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Chappell-Hadlee Series

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you say that everytime honestly.
Yeah, I do. I think people are generally way too quick to make sweeping judgements about future series.

Its bad signs, there's bad pieces of fielding, idiotic bowling and just in general massive choking. It doesn't matter whether Gilly or Ponting or Symonds are not there when things like that are happening almost all the time.

What it comes down to Faaip, Australia twice in 3 days couldn't defend 330+, and this time with having the opposition 4 down and their best batsman back in the shed. Disgraceful.
No arguments there really. Australia have some real issues in ODIs with defending large targets, as you can see in recent times. Australia probably defend large targets more often than other sides as well, because of the strong batting, but you shouldn't be losing from those sorts of situations. Really, if you make 300+ you should win far more often than not, and 330/340+ should be a win every time.

I'm not commenting on this particular performance so muich as people coming in here and saying Australia's chances in the WC are gone. It's a completely different tournament, a few weeks away with a different side. Having problems defending large targets and not being good enough to win a WC are different things.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's just for fun really. It's not like people are laying down money, and I'd rather have a guess and be wrong than sit on the fence when it comes to sport. Besides, there's a long standing tradition of sports fans writing off their team when there's still a glimmer of hope. It's an easier let down if you don't win.
Telling opposition supporters they're gone and the game is dead, and then going on about it as if the game is over isn't similar to a supporter of their own team saying "we're done here!"

Sometimes people try and win the Greigy with their predictions and stuff, just for fun, but I don't reckon that's been the case recently IMO.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Ok, I've had a nice drink now, so I've calmed down a bit.

It's incredible that a month ago the Aussies were on top of the world, after dominating the CB series. But, ever since the first final, things have totally changed.

I believe that the World Cup is wide open, but Australia are still favourites, naturally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Telling opposition supporters they're gone and the game is dead, and then going on about it as if the game is over isn't similar to a supporter of their own team saying "we're done here!"

Sometimes people try and win the Greigy with their predictions and stuff, just for fun, but I don't reckon that's been the case recently IMO.
I guess it depends on how it's done. There's a difference between maliciously having a go at the supporters of another side and saying "I think this one is over".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't think anyone will beat Andy's efforts with South Africa though, that was top-notch.
That is the greatest post ever on the CW board :p

But as I said, its a bit different than for example people claiming that opposition teams are gone and won't last 3 days (India before the SA vs. India test series is one example), there are probably a million examples of it against England in the last CB series etc. I just think coming on and saying "Game is probably over with the fall of Fulton's wicket" is different to "Game's over now, hope Johnson and Watson can take some more wickets to give themselves confidence for the WC" or whatever.

biased indian

International Coach
I dont think there is any way NZ will chase this total down
Wow, just checked the score, is Hayden going crazy or what...

Haha but NewZealand will win this no doubt and I have just booked myself the best prediction award for this week :cool:.
Unfortunately it cannot be repeated over and over. I predict a mammoth collapse to end a completely dominant Australian day.
Expecting the Aussies to destroy NZ today. One of the seamers to go ballistic.
But i doubt the Kiwi's would pull this off since aussies are looking really determined today.
Well Fleming got out just as i said he was looking good...

i love multi quote :ph34r:

Fiery

Banned
No he isn't. He's not justifying Australia's defeats other than saying that Australia should not panic. It takes a fairly chippy shoulder to consider that detracting from New Zealand's performances.
It's just something I've noticed that I hope doesn't become a habit. I'm enjoying the victory anyway :cheers:

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I am sad all of a sudden because I think I just realised something. Is this the demise of Australian cricket?
Not just because of this game I mean with Warne, Langer, Mcgrath retiring from test cricket I dont think these youngsters coming up are as good as we thought or hoped.

Laurrz

International Debutant
They're giving a montage to Glenn McGrath... they called him a great... :D in tests and one dayers... BECAUSE Pigeons not goin to New Zealand anymore and its his last match in the southern hemisphere
there was a lot of cheers

then he said .. also john buchanon..and a lot of boos

i didnt know they knew about cricket :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Incidentally, is this the start of some actual consistency for McMillan? I can't rememeber him playing two match-defining innings in a row before, and they were pretty incredible ones at that. Would be a huge asset for NZ is they had a productive McMillan to come in at 5 or so in the WC.

Though I suppose it would mean the end of Fulton's chances, as Fleming, Vincent, Taylor, Styris and Oram are all certainties if fit.

Fiery

Banned
Right...

So the proper response to give due credit to NZ is to write off Australia's World Cup chances? Good one.
Wouldn't hurt just to congratulate us without the usual downplaying associated with your after-match speeches

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Incidentally, is this the start of some actual consistency for McMillan? I can't rememeber him playing two match-defining innings in a row before, and they were pretty incredible ones at that. Would be a huge asset for NZ is they had a productive McMillan to come in at 5 or so in the WC.

Though I suppose it would mean the end of Fulton's chances, as Fleming, Vincent, Taylor, Styris and Oram are all certainties if fit.
I'm not sure Styris's place is certain by any stretch and Fulton poured some cement on his place today

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't hurt just to congratulate us without adding the usually downplaying associated with your after-match speeches
I wasn't downplaying New Zealand's achievements at all. If anything, I'd say writing off Australia's WC chances would be downplaying the quality of chase, since it'd be blaming the result on Australia's faults rather than NZ's performance.

Anyway, congratulations. Enjoy it.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Cricinfo's telling me that Hayden got the MOM. IMO, I think they should've split the award, but Hayden's innings was incredible.