• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

ashley bach

International Captain
Just got off the plane and checked the score....Wow extras win the game for the Aussies!
The pitch seriously was a farcical joke and its not that I don't like exciting matches but scorecards similar to young children is a wee bit over the top.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I also wanna know what Starc is doing differently that’s seen him turn around his test bowling. If anything he doesn’t seem to be bowling quite as full as he used to, but I’d have thought that would have worked against him.

I can’t really see anything in his action which he’s changed but he’s just in a really good space rn with the red ball.

And I don’t jmean his raw numbers are flattering, because he seems to have really tightened up a lot
Pretty sure he mentioned in the post match interview he felt a lot of it was due to cutting back on ODIs in the last 18 months or so.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think this was as green a pitch as I've ever seen in Australia- it was reminiscent of Trent Bridge when Broad took 8 for 15.

The Head knock was the difference in the end but these sort of pitches do nothing for the game - all over in less than 2 days - what's the point

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The narrative about this pitch was largely set by Australia's mini-chase.

If they'd chased it 1 wicket at most down or not allowed SA's 10th wicket to even set a target, I think the focus would've been more on SA's batting than the pitch.

As it was, that last innings bowling performance by SA gave them some important consolation. Especially with their dismissal of Head after his 1st innings was the difference in the match.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I thought England used to have the biggest disparity between batting and bowling strength but SAf set a new bar. They cannot win a test if their bowlers have anything less than a perfect game.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he’ll average 65 and the taste of so many tears will be very sweet tbh
Just like how Ponting's average ended up being '65' after he was hovering around 60.

Reality is most players who play into their mid 30s, lose a few to several points. In Ponting's case he went down to 51. Hope Smith doesn't suffer something similar or the taste of so many tears will be very salty for you all tbh.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Just like how Ponting's average ended up being '65' after he was hovering around 60.

Reality is most players who play into their mid 30s, lose a few to several points. In Ponting's case he went down to 51. Hope Smith doesn't suffer something similar or the taste of so many tears will be very salty for you all tbh.
There cumilative average trajectories are very diffrent

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just seen the highlights, green looks in far better touch than he did vs the windies. Historically him nailing those straight drives like he did at the start of his innings means he's seeing it well.

Gob

International Coach
Just seen the highlights, green looks in far better touch than he did vs the windies. Historically him nailing those straight drives like he did at the start of his innings means he's seeing it well.
Yeah looked great even defending.

Shame he was on strike to Marco's first over

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Don't know if you are referring to me but if it is, then I certainly did not mean it to be against the Aust team. Ever since Ahamadabad/Galle got called out, people (mostly from those regions) seem to jump in to any wicket that helps quick bowling which is fine but then there are ****heads like testfan only pop in to troll without context which can be pretty annoying.

Anywho my take on the whole pitch thing as I already said

1. Its certainly not doctoring (If it is then its very very stupid doctoring) because they almost lost. South Africa has a sensational attack so if anything, Aust need to nullify that by having a good batting wicket which may turn later so they can turn to Lyon (who imo is vastly superior to Maharaj). That was how they used to beat RSA with Warne and McGill back in the day

2. Is this as bad as Ahamadabad/Galle? well I don't think it is simply because it is good fast bowlers getting wickets here. If say Nathen Astle ran through Aus, I'd concede it is equal to Root or Clarke taking ludicrous hauls. That being said, its not good for test cricket to see a game ending in 2 days so while it was fun, I think they need to tone it down a notch.
They were open about doctoring spin friendly decks, and nobody cared. Don't know why so many people think it's an issue more recently.

Heboric

International Debutant
I thought England used to have the biggest disparity between batting and bowling strength but SAf set a new bar. They cannot win a test if their bowlers have anything less than a perfect game.
Yep, we are the new old Pakistan

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Sounds like someone definitely has a bloke living rent free in his head.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven’t seen people so concerned over a current players average since the last great Aussie batsman - Voges.

Stefan9

International Debutant
With the ball and bat as they needed to get themselves a target to bowl at.