• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in West Indies Thread

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
where's the squad for the 2nd test??
It was on CeeFax:

15 man squad

B Lara (Capt)
O Banks (Wk)
C Baugh
D Barnard
S Chanderpaul
P Collins
M Dillon
V Drakes
D Ganga
W Hinds
R Jacobs (Wk)
J Lawson
M Samuels
R Sarwan (Vice Capt)
D Smith

This is very harsh on Gayle, Hinds did nothing in the Test to persuade the selectors to keep him. They keep the same attack, which was very inneffective, and don't bring in a spinner which they sorely need. I thought West Indies cricket was on the rise...what is wrong with the selectors???

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Atleast now Windies have got Sarwan:cool2: . But where would he bat now? If he bats at 3 then Ganga would go down to 5 and he is an opener. But still think the WI don't have the bowling to even come close to winning. They need a good spinner urgently.

Cloete

International Captain
i better fly over to the windies then. *packs bags and leaves* *gets outside and says to himself "wat the hell am i doing"* *unpacks and resumes time bak at his computer* :lol:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
They keep the same attack, which was very inneffective, and don't bring in a spinner which they sorely need. I thought West Indies cricket was on the rise...what is wrong with the selectors???
But do they have any good spinner though. If Ryan Hinds is the next alternative then it's better not to have a spinner. What happ. to Nagamootoo though? After Ramnarine i thought he was the next in line.

Cloete

International Captain
*packs bags and leaves again* *gets as far as airpiort and asks himself wat he's doing* *takes his rage out on the vending machine* *gets a free coke* *resumes time at his computer* *gets annoyed at Vish for encouraging him* :!( :!(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Atleast now Windies have got Sarwan:cool2: . But where would he bat now? If he bats at 3 then Ganga would go down to 5 and he is an opener. But still think the WI don't have the bowling to even come close to winning. They need a good spinner urgently.
Nah Ganga is a middle order batsman who was encourged to open.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
But do they have any good spinner though. If Ryan Hinds is the next alternative then it's better not to have a spinner. What happ. to Nagamootoo though? After Ramnarine i thought he was the next in line.
Ramnarine is said to be in poor form, Nagamootoo...the selectors appear to have realised he's not of International Quality, he rarely gets much spin. Ryan Hinds played but his left arm spin was very inneffective and he ended up playing mostly as a batsman.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Before anyone notices I didn't put Banks as backup keeper...CeeFax did :rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BTW, Banks is a spinner who bats rather well. We have long established that the WI selectors haven't a clue as to what they're doing (McLean :rolleyes: ) but this is ridiculous. What's wrong with Dave Mohammed?? He's clearly the best true spinner at the moment.

Gayle has a right to be upset. Hinds doesn't appear to have the technique to perform on a consistent basis and, while he too has a couple of flaws, Gayle looks more equipped to play Test cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Ryan Hinds played but his left arm spin was very inneffective and he ended up playing mostly as a batsman.
In all fairness, Ryan Hinds didn't get much of an opportunity to bowl more than 2 or 3 overs at a time most times. Hooper seemed very reluctant to try him out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Nah Ganga is a middle order batsman who was encourged to open.
Actually Ganga has opened for most his entire career Rik. He was opening way back when he played for Naparima College in the Secondary School League. He is an opener who decided to bat in the middle order this season......he was the captain after all :).

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Ramnarine is said to be in poor form, Nagamootoo...the selectors appear to have realised he's not of International Quality, he rarely gets much spin. Ryan Hinds played but his left arm spin was very inneffective and he ended up playing mostly as a batsman.
But Nagamootoo had a very good match against AUS in AUS in his debut match. Its better to try him out than Collins :P . And also Ganga is an opener :P

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Actually Ganga has opened for most his entire career Rik. He was opening way back when he played for Naparima College in the Secondary School League. He is an opener who decided to bat in the middle order this season......he was the captain after all :).
According to reports I've read, he favours middle order.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In all fairness, Ryan Hinds didn't get much of an opportunity to bowl more than 2 or 3 overs at a time most times. Hooper seemed very reluctant to try him out.
Well taking 9 wickets in any match cannot just be by luck...maybe it is time to give him another go. I haven't got a clue why they picked Banks, he was playing in the Liecstershire 2nd XI last season...

As for Nagamootoo...he couldn't even take wickets against Bangladesh, I think the Selectors just had enough of giving him more time, averages of over 50 in both forms of the International game doesn't bode well.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
BTW, Banks is a spinner who bats rather well. We have long established that the WI selectors haven't a clue as to what they're doing (McLean :rolleyes: ) but this is ridiculous. What's wrong with Dave Mohammed?? He's clearly the best true spinner at the moment.

Gayle has a right to be upset. Hinds doesn't appear to have the technique to perform on a consistent basis and, while he too has a couple of flaws, Gayle looks more equipped to play Test cricket.
Well they stuck with him when he was having problems in Sri Lanka...but now he's doing well they decide to drop him??? :rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
I haven't got a clue why they picked Banks, he was playing in the Liecstershire 2nd XI last season...
Then again, how many West Indians are there in the first XI of any of the counties?

Banks is a decent all rounder. He a pretty good bat and bowls economically and pretty effectively. I think he's fairly tall so that helps him alot to get bounce from the pitch.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Then again, how many West Indians are there in the first XI of any of the counties?

Banks is a decent all rounder. He a pretty good bat and bowls economically and pretty effectively. I think he's fairly tall so that helps him alot to get bounce from the pitch.
I'm tall, that doesn't make me good ;)

I mean look at players like Ryan Hinds, they put Banks' stats to shame. I would bring back Ramnarine (form or no form) or Hinds. Drop Wavell Hinds from opening.

Team:

C Gayle
D Smith
R Sarwan
B Lara
S Chanderpaul
D Ganga
R Jacobs/C Baugh
R Hinds
V Drakes
J Lawson
M Dillon

What do you think? Gayle and Sarwan might pick up a few wickets too, Sarwan has allways been a useful bowler in my eye.